FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts BeezleBug Mugs (Pg. 14: New Cup/Mug)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
BeezleBug Mugs (Pg. 14: New Cup/Mug)
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-09 10:58 am   Permalink

Love the trophies (got a little trophy project going on myself) thanks fer the inspiration, and that Maori is lookin to be beautiful!

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-10 12:37 pm   Permalink

Thanks everyone.

Once July hits, I'll be back to living in NV full-time (right now, it's L.A. and NV back-and-forth), so I'll have a chance to produce a lot more work with my new kiln. Can't wait!

View Profile of BeezleBug Send a personal message to BeezleBug  Email BeezleBug Goto the website of BeezleBug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-12 1:28 pm   Permalink

Fish God #1...

View Profile of BeezleBug Send a personal message to BeezleBug  Email BeezleBug Goto the website of BeezleBug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-12 1:55 pm   Permalink

Great glaze, I didn't realize it was unglazed red clay earlier. I see the teeth are back, what material and how did you decide to add them after the sculpt?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-12 2:47 pm   Permalink

Fish God is slip cast. The original model was done in Klean Klay.

The original design had teeth at the top. They were too hard to cast, so I figured I would add another material. Luckily, I had a whole bag of beach glass leftover from another project.

Easier to see here:

[ This Message was edited by: BeezleBug 2012-04-12 14:53 ]

BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-23 1:49 pm   Permalink

Another slip-cast spin-off product: paperweight!

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-23 2:58 pm   Permalink

OK Bug, you're gonna have to explain that one to me

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-26 9:42 pm   Permalink

Little pile of seashells with Oceanic designs? Heavy enough to be a paperweight. Dunno. Just messing around with different casting techniques.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-27 06:03 am   Permalink

OK, works for me

BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-15 09:42 am   Permalink

Another slip-cast adventure - slip-cast earrings. Here's a series that is a zombified, shrunken-head version of a Marquesas mask:

[ This Message was edited by: 2012-07-19 16:47 ]

BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-19 4:56 pm   Permalink

Some slip-cast pendants, based on a Rarotongan staff god carving:

And this crazy thing - a tiki mig night light, made out a vintage PMP peanut mug and some lamp parts.

The night light was fun to make (although cutting thes holes was an interesting challenge). Think I'll make a few more out of some of the not-so-rare mugs in my collection.

[ This Message was edited by: BeezleBug 2012-07-19 16:57 ]

BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-23 10:42 am   Permalink

New mug in the works. This one based on a Maori "lovers" carving. Think I'll just call her "Topknot."

Once again, I'm working in Klean Klay - or, rather, Van Aken's Klean Klay Alternative since Klean Klay went out of business...

Bloody Good
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-23 12:46 pm   Permalink

All looks very nice!!!

View Profile of Bloody Good Send a personal message to Bloody Good  Goto the website of Bloody Good     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-25 07:49 am   Permalink

I really enjoyed looking back and forth from your sculpt to the photo in the book. Its wonderful you have brought that page to life. That is a piece of Maori art that I had never seen before and we have a stack of books. I'm glad you found it. I'll be looking forward to seeing it glazed.

We had a tiki collecting friend over Monday evening and of all the tikis we have Dan showed off your Solomon Island mug. We think it is very special.

It is fun to watch you work, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-25 1:14 pm   Permalink

Hi Wendy,

Solomon certainly looks happy there - surrounded by Tiki friends.

The book I go back to over and over is "Oceanic Mythology" by Roslyn Poignant published in '67. I find my mugs look better if I base them on specific Oceanic art (as opposed to copying pre-existing pop-Tiki designs).

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation