FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts BeezleBug Mugs (Pg. 14: New Cup/Mug)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
BeezleBug Mugs (Pg. 14: New Cup/Mug)
BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-23 9:35 pm   Permalink

Thanks zerostreet...

Here's an early sculpt of another new mug based on a Kwoma figure from Papua New Guinea, Sepik River Region. Still need to work out the proportions and how it's going to accept tasty beverages...

[ This Message was edited by: BeezleBug 2012-09-23 21:38 ]

View Profile of BeezleBug Send a personal message to BeezleBug  Email BeezleBug Goto the website of BeezleBug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-09-23 9:59 pm   Permalink

Great looking glaze on the Que, love the new PNG sculpt.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-24 10:59 am   Permalink

Thanks MadDog...love the pirate-y pursuits.

Here's a Peanut Jr. mug. Been on a green/blue glaze kick lately, but now I'm returning to browns... Time to stock up on more crystalline glazes.

Oh, if anyone uses Pinterest, I'm keeping samples of my more recent mugs here:
http://pinterest.com/leelanier/beezlebug-tiki-mugs/

[ This Message was edited by: BeezleBug 2012-09-24 11:23 ]

View Profile of BeezleBug Send a personal message to BeezleBug  Email BeezleBug Goto the website of BeezleBug     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-25 09:25 am   Permalink

Pimpin' it with some gold finish today...

BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-25 11:25 pm   Permalink

Alright, Kwoma is ready to cast... Uh oh, left myself with another complicated mold...

BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-01 6:07 pm   Permalink

Mold for Kwoma mug. Only 6 pieces, so not too horrible...

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-01 6:11 pm   Permalink

He's really nice. Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-04 10:53 am   Permalink

Thanks, Wendy...

First Kwoma mug out of the mold...

BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-10 12:17 pm   Permalink

Kwoma #1 is finished...

I was asked to replicate the finish of the original wood sculpture, which was an interesting challenge. So, here were the steps: 1) Instead of sanding or smoothing the cast, cut in tons of tiny tools marks; 2) glaze with multiple layers of black and brown gloss; 3) after firing slightly below the recommended temp, sand the surface with 600 grit; 4) burnish with black oil; 5) burnish with metallic bronze and gold oil; 6) burnish with brown oil; 7) spray outside with clear matte finish. The "hair' is synthetic fur attached with silicon glue.

I've also started a new mug. This one is a chunky bamboo, reed, and seashell tumbler - something that Gilligan might have made for Thurston Howell III for his evening cocktail of coconut liquor.

danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-10-10 12:42 pm   Permalink

Hey thanks so much for all the glazing information. I know that to make something look old is hard work. I have yet to master that and you just helped. Thank you, Wendy

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-10 12:56 pm   Permalink

I've been experimenting with glaze since I got my little electric kiln. Sometimes, the glazes come out pretty darn weird. I don't stock many glazes, but I do mix them or layer them. One thing I hit upon - out of necessity - is that you can fix or improve any exterior glaze with cold-painting and burnishing.

BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-25 4:04 pm   Permalink

Yay - one of my Peanut Jr. lamps is now on the shelf at Forbidden Island (thanks to Lisa Michelle).

BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-27 6:34 pm   Permalink

New mug - Bamboo Tumbler -

[ This Message was edited by: BeezleBug 2012-11-27 18:35 ]

BeezleBug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-03 7:16 pm   Permalink

Happy new year, everyone.

Back on the Tiki bandwagon. Had to divert my kiln last month for a big batch of Christmas presents.

First mug of 2013 - happy to finally get a classic translucent glaze without bubbles or roughness:

TikiAno
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-03 10:11 pm   Permalink

Looks great! Thanks for posting all of the glaze and mold info, too!

View Profile of TikiAno Send a personal message to TikiAno  Goto the website of TikiAno     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation