[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Lagoon Room Improvements
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Lagoon Room Improvements
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-30 08:23 am   Permalink

Okay, I know it's been said before but I will say it again and now, The Lagoon Room is AWESOME. No doubt about it. Thanks Al & Shelley for you generosity and grace. You're home is sweet. And Al mixes delicious drinks like a master.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-01 3:35 pm   Permalink

Marvelous! The Lagoon Room has brightened my day for sure. Next time my digitally competant friend drops by I will post some photos of my pad too. My latest decorating technique was discovered quite by mistake. Had to re-arrange the bedroom to accomodate new furniture and the night-light ended up on top of the dresser right under my tiki mug shelf. Illuminated from below the tikis really come to life. Thanks again for an inspirational supercharge!

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-05 11:00 pm   Permalink

Hey Alnshely, can you tell us who made your ceiling lamp (Orchids of Hawaii, I think)?

Does it have a translucent fiberglass cylinder about 6" wide by 10" long in the middle? Is that real tapa cloth? Have you ever had to clean the tapa? Sorry for the questions; I've found something very similar and am doing some research on it's origin and care.

[ This Message was edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-07-05 23:11 ]

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-05 11:31 pm   Permalink

Shelley bought this lamp in a second hand store in Carson City for $35.00. It has no makers mark, I have no idea who made it. It does have a fiberglass cylinder like you describe and is made from real Tapa. My lamp has only been wiped off with a clean cloth or feather duster. I have seen tapa lamps so thick with dust, cigarette smoke and gunk that it seems easier to replace the tapa than clean it.I don't know the best way to clean filth off tapa. I would start with water then move to "goo gone" possibly even a stronger solvent. Tapa can be pretty tough, but, a 40 year old lamp may be pretty delicate. Be careful. See this post for an idea of how to make or repair tapa lamps

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=7482&forum=7&58

Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-07 05:08 am   Permalink

Thanks, the lamps have inspired me to learn more about tapa cloth. I ran across this neat article from the Bishop Museum last night on tapa cloth conservation:
www.bishopmuseum.org/research/pdfs/cnsv-tapa.pdf

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation