FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Zamboanga, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Zamboanga, Los Angeles, CA (restaurant)
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-28 08:33 am   Permalink

I accidentally found this souvenir photo on the internet today while doing a quick zamboanga search:

check out the background! And the happy couple! What amazing stories they could tell...

I found it on this article about night clubs from the turn of the century to the '50's, which is an interesting read in and of itself. There are a few other links with interesting pictures/menus/etc of non-tiki/polynesian influenced night clubs. Check it out:
http://nfo.net/usa/niteclub.htm

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-02-18 5:26 pm   Permalink

Polynesiac,

That is a really nice photo of the interior, some great detail in the background.

I saw this unusual artifact from the Zamobanga on ebay, a souvenir statuette of the Tailless Monkey.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-07 10:07 am   Permalink

Cross-posting an actual site visit from my Frank Bowers thread since this is the "official" Zamboanga thread.

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-07 10:37 am   Permalink

Sigh! That souvenir monkey statue really is the bee's knees, no, the Maltese Falcon of Pre-Tiki sculpture!
Much more so than my puny lil' Trader Vic sculpted Sea Otter:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-21 3:44 pm   Permalink

I picked up a couple of postcards from the Zamboanga. The first one is from the Lounge Bar.

A few close ups.

The back of the card. It was advertising the opening of Dick Peterson (of the Spike Jones Band) and was sent to the Herald Examiner in February of 1950.

I also got the postcard featuring the Frank Bowers mural, surprised it was not on this thread yet.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-23 07:59 am   Permalink

Amazing!
Anyone been there this Century?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-23 08:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-06-23 07:59, christiki295 wrote:
Amazing!
Anyone been there this Century?

John-O has. See more here:

Quote:

On 2011-04-07 10:07, JOHN-O wrote:
Cross-posting an actual site visit from my Frank Bowers thread since this is the "official" Zamboanga thread.

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-01 11:59 pm   Permalink

Libby Jones dancing at the Zamboanga, 1956:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-02 03:42 am   Permalink

Wow, phantastic photo! I put it thru I-Photo to bring up the mural a little more -

I love studying the details of that mural, it is really the most iconic of all of them. I wanna GO there and peruse every part of it unobstructed! Like, is that some kind of stage with those bamboo poles..? Can someone zoom in into that section of the postcard? I am not at home to do it.

What a shame that it is no more. (Kudos again to the urban explorers who checked on that)

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-10-04 12:36 pm   Permalink

Perusing this thread, I was reminded of the less famous murals, all intriguing in themselves:

The Tailless Monkey mural behind the bar, very well visible:

And then: Was this mural on the left a Hollywood film celebrity caricature mural, like the big heads on small bodies suggest?:

...and was it painted over when the stars began to seek out other digs?

And what the heck was depicted on the mural next to it, as seen in the linen card?:

Will we ever know...?

Staci

Posted: 2012-08-16 8:49 pm   Permalink

Hello I am searching for pictures in relation to this club and any information on joe. my great grandfather used to own Joe's BBQ across the street from the Zamboanga Club. My grandma worked there and said the Zamboanga always had big bands, celebrities and business men. They would grab late night BBQ at my grandpas after 2AM (and apparently they tipped big). if anyone comes across a picture or any info on my great grandpas restaurant across the street please let me know! Thank you for your help.

View Profile of Staci Send a personal message to Staci      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-02 12:16 pm   Permalink

Well this is interesting. I got a matchbook from the Zamboanga that list "Zamboanga Lou" as the owner. Joe must have sold out at some point.

DC

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-10 5:34 pm   Permalink

Well wouldn't you know it, I just got the verion of that matchbook with Zamboanga Joe!

Looks like Lou did a quick little old-style photo-shop job.

DC

kiara
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-30 12:05 am   Permalink

Here's an exterior shot of the Zamboanga.
Couldn't find anything on here so thought I would share.

View Profile of kiara Send a personal message to kiara  Email kiara     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 5:45 pm   Permalink

Kiara,

Nice photo! I found the image in the archives and did some close-ups.

A closer view of the street scene.

The mural.

The entrance.

And a few more views.

Love this place.

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation