FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Museum fuer Voelkerkunde, Hamburg, Germany (other)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Museum fuer Voelkerkunde, Hamburg, Germany (other)
Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-18 05:09 am   Permalink

Thank you for posting these amazing photographs. Looks like a 'must see' museum.

Thanks

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-18 09:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-18 00:16, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
This is an old postcard from the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago. The mask on the "Primitive Art" dust-jacket and this mask appear to be the same.

These type of Tami masks and carvings are all very similar in style, but the Field Museum mask is one of the most often shown in Oceanic art books, so consequently it was copied a lot by Poly pop designers. It is a specially pertinent example of the Poly pop approach of devil-may-care towards authenticity, because it hails from Melanesia, but was used for places like the "Polynesia" and "Wahine".

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-18 2:11 pm   Permalink

I really enjoy this thread Sven , and the time you take to put the pics, and in depth
descriptions together for all of us to learn...enjoy and admire.I find this exhibition
fascinating and find myself going back and forth looking at all the different artifacts
you have captured .How you get these pics to come out so clear without any refraction
from the flash when photographing these objects in plexiglass display cases and glass
is beyond me.I really must go see this exhibition in person in the not to distant
future .

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-18 6:43 pm   Permalink

Thanks, I am glad some folks are into my Museum threads. I have some more I wanna do, but they are time consuming...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation