FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Any one know of stores that sell mugs in san diego?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Any one know of stores that sell mugs in san diego?
Rodgon666

Posted: 2003-03-16 02:44 am   Permalink

ive been looking around san diego for a while and i cant seem to find more than two stores in which they sell tiki mugs. anybody have any suggestions? an aspiring tiki enthusiast like myself needs help to start off his collection.

thank you

View Profile of Rodgon666 Send a personal message to Rodgon666      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-16 11:34 pm   Permalink

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Try the site
http://www.konakai.com It seems like a good source for finding all things Tiki.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Rider Five-O on 2003-03-16 23:35 ]

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-16 11:43 pm   Permalink

if you don't mind driving about 30 minutes north you can hit "Bamboo 2 u" in Encinitas(sp?) I think it's on Pacific Coast hwy. Tell Judy da owner Gecko seys aloha if you go.

she's got it all, mugs, tikis, furniture....gecko tikis, etc.

good luck

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rodgon666

Posted: 2003-03-17 12:00 am   Permalink

hey thanks guys,
ill be sure to go sometime next week or so.

View Profile of Rodgon666 Send a personal message to Rodgon666      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-03-17 2:07 pm   Permalink

Also check out Solai in SD- Not as much as Bamboo 2 U, but a great little store:

http://www.solaibamboo.com/index.htm

-martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mano Tiki Tia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-17 11:15 pm   Permalink

The Black down in OB carries some Tiki Farm mugs. They had a cool display in the window.

View Profile of Mano Tiki Tia Send a personal message to Mano Tiki Tia  Email Mano Tiki Tia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-03-17 11:19 pm   Permalink

Babbette Schwartz on University Avenue has Shag Mugs.. look up high on the shelves, or ask the staff to help you look!

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
NorthwoodsSurfer

Posted: 2003-08-17 10:51 pm   Permalink

Only thing I know of not on the list is this weird little shop near WindanSea surf shop on Mission Blvd in Mission Beach. I got this really cool parrot mug, but I think they had some tikis too. I'd recommend going on tikifarm.com
The mar-tiki glasses are far out

View Profile of NorthwoodsSurfer Send a personal message to NorthwoodsSurfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-18 2:40 pm   Permalink

Ducky Waddles in Encinitas also sells mugs

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-18 11:56 pm   Permalink

All of the above are good suggestions. The only other specific source I can think of for new tiki mugs is Sea World. Yes, Sea World...the last time I was there they had the biggest selection of Tiki Farm products in SD at their gift shop. Besides that, I've seen new mugs by several manufacturers at various surf shops in just about every beach community. I've even seen new mugs at hawaiian/island specialty shops at the malls and other tourist traps like Seaport Village. Turn on your "tiki radar" and you'll start spotting them everywhere.

Also, you can get drinks served in tiki mugs that you can keep at the Bali Hai and Island at the Hanalei Hotel. Those are repros but still quite nice.

As for vintage variety mugs...well, I won't reveal exact sources for those 'cause I work hard to find them for myself. But rest assured they can still be had at reasonable prices in SD with a little luck and persistence.

ModMana

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johnman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-24 8:32 pm   Permalink

I found a couple of shops in Ocean Beach that had some Tiki Farm mugs last week. Both were surf shops on Newport Ave. I only have one of the names (kept the bag):
South Coast Surf Shops
5023 Newport Ave.

Picked up a Mr. G mug there.

At the other surf shop I picked up a Miehana mug.

One of these days I'll actually post these on Ooga Mooga:)

View Profile of johnman Send a personal message to johnman  Goto the website of johnman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-11 11:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-08-17 22:51, NorthwoodsSurfer wrote:
Only thing I know of not on the list is this weird little shop near WindanSea surf shop on Mission Blvd in Mission Beach. I got this really cool parrot mug, but I think they had some tikis too.

http://thefreakfactory.biz/

Couldn't resist replying to this dusty old post.

The Freak Factory at MB in San Diego is downright schizophrenic!

Catering to everyone from urbane tattooed hipsters to local surfing hippies it usually has a full selection of Tiki Farm & Dynasty mugs. Occasionally mugs by esteemed SoCal legend Bosko have been offered, (but have only been sold to people who emanate the proper vibe!)

There's also Shag greeting cards, Grog Logs & other tiki books, tiki carvings, drums, bamboo chimes, candles, tropical incense and hemp Aloha Shirts from Island Hempwear in Kekaha, Hawaii...

...but you're just as likely to hear Arthur Lyman or Link Wray oozing from it's open doors as Jerry Garcia, or Peter Tosh, depending on who's behind the counter.

The owner recently promised "Increased Tiki Goodness" for summer 2006 and I aughta know since I shave his face every morning.

Mahalo, NorthwoodsSurfer.

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiexpy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-01-11 12:57 pm   Permalink

On a side note, does anybody know any places near Temecula?

View Profile of tikiexpy Send a personal message to tikiexpy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-11 1:10 pm   Permalink

The best way to purchase mugs is online. Mugs usually ship well and you will have a much larger selection than any one local shop could ever provide.

Look on ebay for mugs by Gecko.
TikiTony has a couple designs.
Tikidiablo.com has a few
Tiki Farm is the mothership
Munktiki is another large scale top notch provider.

Mugs are not usually the kind of thing that you get from your local supplier, they are usually items that you purchase at special events, from artists when they are released and if your lucky will find them in antique and thrift stores.

Good Luck

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-11 1:12 pm   Permalink

I may know someone that sells tiki mugs....

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation