FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts new painting...do ye likes pirates n' mermaids???
new painting...do ye likes pirates n' mermaids???
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-11 09:03 am   Permalink

Just finished this piece for the gallery to add to my "Jolly Roger" series. Pirates and Mermaids are always a fun subject. I decided to put them together in a few paintings since I get so many requests for both subjects. No..this isn't "Tiki", but surely part of the nautical adventures and spirit of the sea that shares many of the same interests as Tiki lovers, I find.

I won't go on on too much explaining this one..it tells a little story in one picture. The idea was that two salty pirates acquire a map that describes the location of a galleon that wrecked in a squall on the jagged rocks of this island many months before. So the journey to the Island to claim the booty.

Surprise!! As the two close in on the little cove shown on the map, they discover they were beaten to the prize!! A small group of youthful mermaids have dragged the treasure chest ashore and are having the time of their life adorning themselves in fine pearls, gold jewelry and precious gems. The pirates, not yet seen by the mermaids are dumbfounded as they "peep" at the site from the shadows of the rocks! That's the way the sea biscuit crumbles!! Finder's keepers! ..or in this case.."Finder's Peepers"

This is 30" by 40" acrylic on canvas. It should be hung in the THOR Gallery in Waikiki by next week in case anyone is Waikiki and wants to "peep" at it. There is lots to discover in the painting.

Have a great weekend!

"FINDER"S PEEPERS"

Detail of a few of the mermaids whoopin' it up
..now there's som nice tail!

SHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..Thar be mermaids about! Typical female tactic!! They always gang up on us poor helpless guys!!

No what the halibut do we do now???

~~ THOR

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-12 09:59 am   Permalink

Is there an echo in here?

Love it! (Capt'n MadDogMike is a pirate at heart) The translucency of the mermaid tails is great!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-smith
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-10-12 10:09 am   Permalink

Amazing painting! Composition, color, design, technique. A serious home-run. Congratulations. How much are the prints going to sell for?

View Profile of tiki-smith Send a personal message to tiki-smith  Goto the website of tiki-smith     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-12 10:27 am   Permalink

Thanks!! I have no idea why this posted twice. When I posted yesterday, I actually thought it wasn't going to be here cus I kept getting error messages from the TC site. Then, later in the day it posted twice. Go figure! lol Sorry foir the echo! lol

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-12 2:00 pm   Permalink

Wonderful!

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI-TONGA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-12 5:50 pm   Permalink

Beautiful painting! Love it.

View Profile of TIKI-TONGA Send a personal message to TIKI-TONGA  Email TIKI-TONGA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-12 7:09 pm   Permalink

Maybe the treasure is the mermaids?

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-13 6:03 pm   Permalink

A-FREAKING-MAZING!

I cannot get over your mastery of light.

Hey, I had the great pleasure of finding the new location of the Thor Stor in Honolulu last week. Wow!! What a great spot! I was stunned and awed! What a great location - the brand spanking new trendy area - high foot traffic out da door kinda spot!!! By the by the young lady who helped me while I was in the new stor, Jamie I think, is very well versed in Tiki culture. She knew tiki artist, and carvers, and TC. Brownie points for dat!

It was interesting to see the new location just a few doors down from the Wyland Gallery - Which couldn't match the Thor Stor for cool eye popping art. The era of "Whales and dolphin tourist art" has sailed off I thinks, and (thanks to the LA art scene and tiki culture) a new kind of art has reared it's carved wooden cartoon god head!

Though, even the Wyland gallery has added Godard to it's roster to try to be hip I think. But, I'm not sure he's really low brow. He's a cool dude, and can really work a crowd, but hey, he paints martinis and doesn't even drink. What's up with dat? Don't get me started... okay, okay, it's all good. Room for eveyone in the art world.

Anyways, THOR.... Cool art and congratulations on the new swanky gallery! U are making the world a better place.

http://youtu.be/7HTCkZXaA

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blindy the pirate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-13 6:25 pm   Permalink

Why yes, yes I do. How did you know?

Seriously the painting is really good. There is always so much depth to your paintings.

View Profile of blindy the pirate Send a personal message to blindy the pirate  Email blindy the pirate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-13 7:08 pm   Permalink

I am very very appreciative of the comments...NO question. Tiki Shark...I am at the VERY least equally blown away by your talent and Love all you do. As artists..we are all trying o make it big. So many factors determine this..it's not just talent..its timing and LOTS of luck. One of my goals is to share a gallery with all those I respect and love in this Tiki Mania. We need to talk!!! We need to fight for tiki in Waikiki and Hawaii...and we are a minority! Your work is stupendous my friend...and I truly thank k you for your kindness. I am so honored to be a friend and fellow artist in your company.

Till the next event!! Keep our brushes to the canvas!!!

~

Pele Paul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-14 10:43 am   Permalink

love it, is it still available Mr. Thor????

View Profile of Pele Paul Send a personal message to Pele Paul  Email Pele Paul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-15 06:43 am   Permalink

Hey Paul!

Original is long gone but the Giclee' prints are available . Search "Pictures Plus", Hawaii on Google. Then search under artists: Tom Thordarson. Let me know if you have any problems!

Aloha, THOR

Best way to reach me for art or questions directly is this link: https://www.facebook.com/tom.thordarson.3
OR Search on Facebook for : THOR ART

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation