FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Anybody have a Mai Tai recipe similar to the Tiki Ti Mai Tai?
Anybody have a Mai Tai recipe similar to the Tiki Ti Mai Tai?
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-11 9:23 pm   Permalink

?

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-10-12 12:39 pm   Permalink

I am pretty sure they use their own recipe, but it is probably based on the Don the Beachcomber version of the Mai Tai rather than the Trader Vic. I know it uses passion fruit syrup. The only other Mai Tai that I have had that has passion fruit is the Royal Hawaiian (Laguna) Mai Tai, but it is a bit different from the Tiki Ti version.

If you want to reporoduce it, I would start with the Don the Beachcomber recipe (sorry, I don't know it offhand) nad start playing around with it.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-13 10:31 am   Permalink

Last time I was there I had two versions, one with passion fruit DTB version and the traditional San Francisco TV style. Both were good.

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-13 7:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

If you want to reporoduce it, I would start with the Don the Beachcomber recipe (sorry, I don't know it offhand) nad start playing around with it.

I tried the DTB one tonight. Not bad, but a little on the sweet side. Vaguely reminiscent of (hate to say it) the overdone and not very good Mai Tais at the Tonga Room, SF. Tonga Room is a great place. Cocktails, notsomuch. Anyway, the DTB Mai Tai was good, but I think the next step is to use Orgeat. The recipe that I found called for 1 oz. sugar syrup and no Orgeat. Next time I'll try 1/2 oz sugar, 1/2 oz Orgeat. It also called for 2 dashes of Angostura Bitters. That ended up being too dominant. Maybe one dash next time.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-10-14 10:26 am   Permalink

I recommend Orange Bitters rather than Angostura. Granted the DTB Mai Tai is not the best and if you are going to make a Mai Tai it is the Trader Vic's that is the gold standard. My guess is that Ray Buhen took the DTB recipe and improved it.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation