FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Trader Vic's San Francisco - Cosmo Place, San Francisco, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Trader Vic's San Francisco - Cosmo Place, San Francisco, CA (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-30 11:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-13 20:11, bigbrotiki wrote:
Now THOSE were Tiki doors! Wonder what happened to this amazing example of logo Tiki use:

Bigbro,

I just went to the newly remodeled Trader Vic's in Emeryville and it sure looks like those doors from SF now grace the entrance to the beautiful establishment on the other side of the bay.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-01 12:43 pm   Permalink

Oh good, they've come home. The remodel must have done some good things, can't wait to check the place out next time I am up there.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-12-01 1:37 pm   Permalink

FWIW, those doors at the Emeryville Vics were there before the recent remodel. If I were to make an uninformed (and characteristically wrong) guess, I'd hazard that there were numerous versions of those door carvings made, and that the Emeryville ones are not taken direct from Cosmo.

If so, they'd have had to take off the handles, and clean up the seam where the panels are joined in the middle. But the Emeryville panels DO look like they were salvaged from something at some point, so maybe that's just what happened.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-01 2:16 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Good memories. I used to go to this place all the time with my Grandmother and Uncle in my youth. I wish I'd taken pictures then... sigh

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-02 09:12 am   Permalink

Looks to me like they did quite a bit of damage to that panel during the remodel. Here's DC's pic next to mine from 2007. It's definitely the same panel. Note the same wear on the back panel next to the shoulder on the right. No idea if it came from the Cosmo location though.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-12-02 09:44 am   Permalink

Sorry if I'm taking this to derail-ville. Just to flesh out GatorRob's observation a little further, I dug up a pic from just before the Emeryville remodel, literally the weekend before they closed.

Sure enough, that panel was in better shape just before the remodel. Maybe they mounted it on a whole new door, and it got damaged in the process of prying it off. BTW, are those staples all over the guy's face, like for flyers?

Anyway, this still contributes nothing as far as concluding whether the panels came from Cosmo (but it's kinda fun anyway).

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-04 3:40 pm   Permalink

Boy, are we geeks or what? Most people brush right past the door and head straight to the bar. But we have to stop to take pictures of the door. And examine it closely. And bore the hell out of our wives/companions.

I wouldn't have it any other way.

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-04 7:54 pm   Permalink

Amen brother

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-24 11:54 pm   Permalink

I found this cool shot of the old sign that hung at the end of the alley:

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-25 12:01 am   Permalink

...and here's a nice artist's rendering I saw in the Emeryville TV's:

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-25 12:06 am   Permalink

...and here's a color version of a b/w shot from earlier:

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-25 9:23 pm   Permalink

Trad'r Bill,

A few more color photos from the SF Trader Vic's.

These photos are from the a 1958 Better Homes and Garden Magazine. I think yours is from a Holiday Magazine, although it sure looks like the same shoot.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: dustycAJUN 2011-05-25 21:57 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-25 11:47 pm   Permalink

Yesiree. The Cosmo Tidbits platter looks exactly the same today as it did back then. A little prayer of thanks for the things that haven't changed.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-18 11:22 pm   Permalink

Back in '71 was the only time I went to the Cosmo Place Vics. We went there to meet my (then) brother in laws dad for a birthday dinner. We went in the doors paused at reception, I moved forward toward the tapa , tiki and bamboo then I heard "Bob, where are you going?"I turned to be lead to doors across from the reception desk. If I remember right it was called the Captains Table or Captains Room, nothing tiki, if I remember right there was just a little nautical decor (very little). I was told that this room was essentially (my words) for big wigs and the rest of the place was for "tourists". It seemed like a lounge, the only cool thing was they kept pouring my 17 year old ass glasses of wine all night. What I'm wondering is did you Bigbro get any photos when you took that last tour or have you dustycajun found any ephemera showing this room? I know it wasn't really tiki but it's been 40 years and I'd like to see what it really was like.
thanks and aloha, tikicoma

[ This Message was edited by: tikicoma 2011-07-20 21:02 ]

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-07-19 12:33 pm   Permalink

Thanks for sharing tikicoma - that's a pretty good memory you have after all these years. I think the room you are referring to is the "Admirals Cabin". In one of my SF/Oakland menus I found this:

"The Admirals Cabin is available for Private Parties of 20 to 60 guests. Ask for details."

The above was printed on every page of the menu, so it seems like they were really pushing it on the guests. I haven't seen any photos of that room, maybe someone has some out there.

For a little eye-candy, here's the positive version of bigbro's negative he posted earlier in this thread:

a little closer

-Trad'r Bill

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation