FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts Tiki tribute to our military NEW PAINTING!!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Tiki tribute to our military NEW PAINTING!!!
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-16 11:05 pm   Permalink

Hey all!!

I am painting like a mad fool my Holidays tour in Hawaii. I did this one fairly fast, It was an idea I had to celebrate the Tiki and hawaii flavor that comes with those stationed and deployed from the Military bases on Oahu. I have met many great soldiers and sailors over the years that collect my work. This I did for them.. as the first of a series. There are many marines and army soldiers driving all around the deserts of Iraq as we speak. I have met some that are proud to be from Hawaii.., and this is for all of them and the families stationed there waiting for loved ones to return safely.

I imagined what I would do if I was in this situation...from Hawaii..and wanting to bring a Tiki/Hawaii feel to the desert that made me feel at home. Here is what I call..the "Huma Hummer". I can post details when this is scanned for prints..but this is just finished and hot off my easel.

Lots to discover in this painting....from the painted hand grenade " pineapples" to the hibiscus flower cammo! I just wanted my friends here on TC to be the first to share this with before it goes into the Gallery. It's a crude snapshot..the real scan and piece is much richer.

Things to look for: the standard .50 caliber machine gun the hummers have is dismounted and becomes the base of the "Tiki Torch"...which has a standard issue canteen filled with gasoline and rags. There are a lot of scorpions in Iraq..this one has dug out a wee bit of Aloha for us! Dashboard Hula girl is the hood ornament, painted grenades are pineapples as I mentioned, and the kevlar helmet is decorated with date palm fronds to look like a beach hat!....and I researched how far it is fom Iraq to Hawaii...and it was said its close to 11 000 miles depending on area!! So...there ya have it

Have a great weekend all!!! ~THOR

[ This Message was edited by: THOR's 2008-10-16 23:29 ]

[ This Message was edited by: THOR's 2008-10-16 23:32 ]

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-16 11:10 pm   Permalink

SWEET!!!! And I thought the pineapple grenades went out with WWII

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-16 11:13 pm   Permalink

Surplus my friend! SURPLUS!! !lol

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pappythesailor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-17 05:26 am   Permalink

That's sweet. Nice work, as always.

View Profile of pappythesailor Send a personal message to pappythesailor  Goto the website of pappythesailor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-10-17 11:00 am   Permalink

A+

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jpmartdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-17 12:32 pm   Permalink

Very cool Thor! Great concept and amazing illumination!

View Profile of jpmartdog Send a personal message to jpmartdog  Email jpmartdog Goto the website of jpmartdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-17 1:17 pm   Permalink

SEMPER FI T-man!
great job!
Ever shoot a .50 Cal?
friggin awesome...
Wish we would've pooled our creative energy for ANYTHING Tiki
back in the day! Didn't get to throw any pineapple grenades back in the early 80's
only the lame-o lookin round ones....BOOM!
Third MarDiv Forever!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-17 2:03 pm   Permalink

Tom -

Love the relevant subject matter AND - you know, the American quality of DO IT YOURSELF comes through loud and clear in this work of art. Another modern classic as always. I'm constantly inspired by your high level of love, care and sheer prowess as an artist.

As for the reality of this war situation, Thank God our men and women soldiers maintain their sanity as I personally would go berserk stuck in such a crappy environment. I could daydream myself into a well deserved stupor..longing for a tropical paradise while pouring the sand from my boots sitting on my scratchy cot.

This image deserves recognition as an American standard "pin-up" with our troops around the world. All of us wait to see more in this series.

Cheers! Greg

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-17 7:28 pm   Permalink

Thanks Greg!! You are truly observant and appreciative!! I am just getting feed back from the customers that are military in Hawaii and the reviews have been off the chart!!! So I guess I need to really do more in this theme. I want to support the troops in any way I can..and the spirit of Aloha. . I agree with you...I wouldn't want to be there in the desert...and most likely would be court marshaled by now for fabricating little tiki escapes like this painting depicts!! lol Best wishes!!

VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-18 5:36 pm   Permalink

Great tribute...PM coming your way.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMango
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-19 07:53 am   Permalink

What a great piece! You have captured the desert night light perfectly! It will be interesting to see if you get any photos from the field from solders have made a little paradise in Hell. Truly a great homage.

View Profile of TikiMango Send a personal message to TikiMango  Email TikiMango     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-19 4:46 pm   Permalink

Thor, the attention to detail on this is so awesome, I actually learned something I didn't know: there are scorpions in Hawaii! Spectacular stuff, with an honest, heartfelt quality to it. How many paintings give you that feeling looking at them?

Quote:

On 2008-10-17 13:17, little lost tiki wrote:

Ever shoot a .50 Cal?

Ken, I've manned a Saiko grenade launcher... unloaded, thank God!

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-19 8:09 pm   Permalink

HAaaaa Well..I have actually shot a .50 hand gun!!! Desert Eagle..but I am not a gun obsessed type..just grew up with a Grandpa who was and inherited enough to defend the Nation!!!

As for the scorpions. I my have to explain that this is "Hawaii in the imagination" but on the sands of the Iraqi Desert. There are a lot of scorpions in Iraq...native to the desert. This painting is all a about the fantasy pf a soldier pretending to be back home in Hawaii..creating a Tiki feel. The scorpion is Iraqi and it gets into the idea too, here...but in reality..thousands of miles from real Hawaii. . I don't know of scorpions in Hawaii..BIG Kane spiders are around though.

Warm Aloha's Robb!! Can't wait to see more Velveeta!!

[ This Message was edited by: THOR's 2008-10-20 00:53 ]

lois201
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-10-20 05:18 am   Permalink

Wow, this is a wondeful painting. I really like the colours and the style.
You seem to be really gifted!

View Profile of lois201 Send a personal message to lois201      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-21 12:41 am   Permalink

Yes, it's definitely the "Fun-Vee"!

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation