FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Collecting Tiki » » Tiki Restaurants • The Big Ten • Middle of the Night update for DC!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Tiki Restaurants • The Big Ten • Middle of the Night update for DC!
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-10-16 11:15 pm   Permalink

Obviously we have the Big 3

1. Don The Beachcomber
2. Trader Vic's
3. Steve Crane and Associates (The Luau, Kon Tiki, Kon Tiki Ports, Ports O'Call)

What I'm curious about is which other places had mugs, swizzles and tableware? (Not including salt & pepper shakers)

I have extended the list to the Big 10 which is great but there has to be more ~

4. Aku Aku
5. Kona Kai
6. Mai-Kai
7. Kahiki
8. Pub Tiki
9. The Mauna Loa
10. Ren Clark's Polynesian Village

I'll use the Hawaiian Inn as an example - they had mugs and swizzle’s but did they have dishes?

• Did the Mauna Loa have dishes? Yes, yes they did.
• Did Ren Clark's Polynesian Village have swizzles? Yes, see page 5.
• Did Harvey’s have plates?
• Did the Hawaii Kai have a swizzle? Yes, a wooden one.

Lot’s of questions but I want answers, photographic example answers!

Also I know the Castaways in Miami had plates, swizzles and mugs but I’m not counting that one yet. Oh and please enjoy my bossy tone.

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2009-07-16 11:26 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Bora Boris 2009-08-27 02:25 ]

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-17 07:15 am   Permalink

A good question, and I am looking forward to everybody's lists. To ad up the various (preferably logo-Tiki) artifacts that a Tiki place produced is a good yardstick. Another is their stylistic elaborateness (A-frames, waterfalls, dioramas,etc.) combined with their Tipsy (James Teitelbaum's Tikis-per-square-yard factor). But then there is something less tangible, which is their regional influence. The latter is what I refer to in the Book of Tiki as "Tiki power-places".

While Tiki temples like the Mai Kai and the Kahiki are clear examples of both, elaborate execution of the style and having been a mecca for Tiki revelers near and far, there are places like the Lanai in San Mateo or the Jade East in Tulsa who might have been not quite the million dollar Polynesian palaces, but which had a marked influence on the area where they were located.

This factor is of course harder to determine than the amount of ephemera from a place found today, so please do not let that keep you from compiling a list of the Tiki places YOU most value.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-17 08:10 am   Permalink

So my list is:

1. Don's
2. Vic's
3. Steve's
4. The Tikis
5. Mai Kai
6. Kahiki
7. Kona Kais
8. Hawaii Kai
9. Ren Clark's
10. Tiki Bob's

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-17 10:22 pm   Permalink

i know Jardin Tiki, Montreal, Quebec, Canada has plates, coffee cups and saucers with their logo tiki.
and quite an interior..

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-19 12:36 am   Permalink

Kinda hard to hit that mug + swizzle + plates trifecta, but I'll throw in the bars and restaurants of the Hilton Hawaiian Village for their great mugs and swizzles from the '70s.

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-19 05:26 am   Permalink

Good post. I have wondered about this for years with the Mauna Loa in Detroit. They had their name on mugs, swizzles, ashtrays, matchbooks, s&p shakers and even silverware. Not one dinner plate have I seen ...yet. I think most of the dinner ware got into the collectors market after these places closed down and the items were sold off. In the case of the Mauna Loa it was around for such a short time it was easier to "field collect" a mug or other small item rather than a lobster platter out in someones handbag. I'll keep looking. That's one of the best parts of the hobby. In the end I believe the fire got the rest. Just a theory though. Thanks.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-19 8:07 pm   Permalink

Considering the price tag of building the Mauna Loa...
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=30193&forum=10&1
...one would assume they had their own logo imprinted china!

I have to apologize to Boris that I went off on my own bend with my list of "The Big Ten" representing more what the ten most IMPORTANT Tiki places were in my mind, not answering his query and confusing the issue. To correct that according to the intention of his post:

Neither The Tikis nor Tiki Bob's ever had their own china, or swizzles. I am not sure if the Hawaii Kai did. But I know there are fine Ren Clark swizzles out there, with a big Milan Guanko logo Tiki on top! Sorry, can't deliver the image, Bosko has one.

Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-10-19 9:23 pm   Permalink

No Problem Big Bro,

after we get through this top ten we can tackle the ten most influential spots. Good to know that Ren Clark had a swizzle. Hopefully Bosko or someone with one will read this and be kind enough to post it for us all to drool over. I just need one more place for the list and I can relax.

I'm wondering now if Mark Thomas' Outrigger had a swizzle? Anyone?

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki-Kate
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-20 6:46 pm   Permalink

Did the Hawaiian Room at the Emerson Hotel have any kind of tableware?

I know that they had mugs and a swizzle.

It's odd that their swizzle has the Ren Clark logo tiki on it.

View Profile of Tiki-Kate Send a personal message to Tiki-Kate  Goto the website of Tiki-Kate     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-20 7:15 pm   Permalink

That plate is so cool! And I cannot recall if that is the same swizzle than Bosko has, his is a different color. But whatever happened with mugs sometimes (like the Tiki Bob's) also happened with swizzles, perhaps: The manufacturer got an order for a logo Tiki item and made it, and then kept the design as a sample for other customers, who then ordered it for their establishment, not knowing it had been branded. Case in point: The Kona Kai Tiki swizzle stick and its many copies.

I think I remember seeing a Mark Thomas swizzle, sans Tiki though, just the distinctive type face as a sculpt.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-10-20 19:31 ]

TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-20 9:31 pm   Permalink

Hello all sorry for the delay I saw this post a few days ago and I have been looking thru my sticks but my day job gets in the way of things, I know I have some sticks that I can’t put my hands on so. I’ll post a few now, if there are any problems sorry I lack computer skills Truus is working on a new CD I am flying solo here.

First; yes Sven you are right and wrong, the swizzle below we concluded was a Milan Guanko inspired Tiki but mine is from the “Chrysler-Plymouth 100 Day dash” not Ren Clarks. But you are correct it probably ended up as a stock design (in this case) at Beacon the were one of the biggest swizzle manufacturers in mid century America, the good news is they used to do 18 (or so) different colors so imagine what is out there waiting for urban archeologists?

Next; A Tiki Bob stick I nearly had a heart attack when I found this one I have never seen another and had always assumed they didn’t have a stick, it looks a little later (era wise) with just the logo stamp.

Last; The Luau there are at least 20 different colors of the Luau stick here are four, but below if the harder to find Luau spear!

My very best alohas

Bosko

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-10-20 10:19 pm   Permalink

Thank You Bosko!

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2008-10-20 10:42 pm   Permalink

Bosko - those are some beautiful swizzles. Didn't know the Tiki Bob existed.

I'm confirming that the Mauna Loa in Detroit did indeed have their own signature dinnerware.

I own just one dinner plate, but it's one of my prized possessions:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-10-20 10:46 pm   Permalink

Ohhhhhh Wow! Thank you Sabu.

Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-10-21 06:32 am   Permalink

So would this Top 10 be a coaches' poll...or writers' poll? And then I suppose we should put together a (S)BCS poll...Scorpion Bowl Championship Series!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation