FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events UPDATED WITH PHOTOS Nov 16th The Hula Girls, Amber Foxx & Duck & Cover @ The Redwood Bar
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
UPDATED WITH PHOTOS Nov 16th The Hula Girls, Amber Foxx & Duck & Cover @ The Redwood Bar
tiki-a-fair
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-17 2:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-17 14:04, bigtikidude wrote:
now if I could just get you guys to come to a surf show?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I know, it's not that we dont want to I assure you. I will send you a message right now.

[ This Message was edited by: tiki-a-fair 2008-11-17 14:13 ]

View Profile of tiki-a-fair Send a personal message to tiki-a-fair      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dartin Menny
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-17 2:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-17 13:47, lucas vigor wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-11-17 13:33, bigtikidude wrote:
ok what do you guys say to doing a show together?
Exotiki and Hula Girls at Purple Orchid?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

I say yes, yes and yes.

As do I.

Spring time it is.

View Profile of Dartin Menny Send a personal message to Dartin Menny  Goto the website of Dartin Menny     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-18 4:03 pm   Permalink

I only caught the last 10-15 minutes of the Hula Girls set (my band practice ran late, though having it Sunday morning in LA made it much easier for me to drop by the Redwood instead of being home in Long Beach) but really dug it! I'd definitely be up for a Hula Girls/Exotiki double-bill! Duck and Cover, the Danish hillbilly band, blew me away as well, and though I'd seen Amber Foxx before it had been a couple of years and her voice has gotten even more Charline Arthur-like in the meantime (a good thing).

I really like the Redwood as a place for the Hillbilly Brunch! Besides being closer for those of us LB/OC way, it's much more conducive to crowd intermingling than the Hollywood Sam's due to the size and logistics (each of the last two times I've been there, I've actually spoken for the first time to people I've seen at shows over the years but have never talked to--something about the vibe at the Redwood brings that out). We had a lot of fun the two times our hillbilly band the Henpeckers got to play the brunch at the old locale, but I look forward to hopefully getting to play a brunch at the Redwood sometime!

Incidentally, I want to put in an early plug for the upcoming debut show of my new band the Ding Dong Devils (featuring 3/4 of the Henpeckers), which will be at a different pirate themed bar, the Buccaneer in Sierra Madre, on Friday, December 12th.

We are what I suppose you might call "exotica garage rock" (in fact it was great to hear the Hula Girls because I think we are kindred spirits) with a touch of steel guitar on some songs, a lot of raving up and mostly vocal, some instrumental songs, with most of the lyrics relating to the polynesian (though thoroughly panache-free) lifestyle. A sneak preview of some of our song titles: False Idols Put a Curse on You, Sufferin' Bastard, I Carry a Tiki Torch For You, You Got Me Stuck Like a Luau Pig--plus a few covers (movie Elvis of course, and "Yes Master" by the Whips featuring our bass player Julia on lead whip). More info to follow....

Brent

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiki von Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-18 6:22 pm   Permalink

"ok what do you guys say to doing a show together?
Exotiki and Hula Girls at Purple Orchid?"

I say YES as well! Heaven!

I have to agree with the comments regarding the musicianship. Whether you love roots or not, there were just some great sounds coming out of that place on Sunday from everyone! For me, the Hula Girls blending of the Hawaiian and surf music and the big heavy Rockabilly base lines is just a slice of pineapple pie a la mode! Tiki-a-fair, you and Jeff really are getting some great music out there for our listening pleasure.

I don't mind going up to LA or wherever it's happening, but please, oh, please, won't you all play at some venues closer to home for me? (that being Orange County).

I also say YES to surf and surf punk, too. I am a non-denominational appreciator of a big fat musical sound.

View Profile of Kiki von Tiki Send a personal message to Kiki von Tiki  Email Kiki von Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dartin Menny
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-19 12:02 am   Permalink

For those of you who liked/loved Duck & Cover this past Sunday Brunch:

They will be back at the Redwood Bar next Friday night, November 28th, opening for Big Sandy & his Fly-Rite Boys.

Also on the bill.... Captain Jeffery & the Chumbuckets. If you haven't seen or heard these kids (yes, they are all 22 years of age and younger) yet, make it a point to get there early to catch them. They are phenomenal and a very fun band!

View Profile of Dartin Menny Send a personal message to Dartin Menny  Goto the website of Dartin Menny     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-a-fair
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-19 07:55 am   Permalink

THE HULA GIRLS WILL BE BACK IN JANUARY! Yippy, we had such a great time listening to them we just had to book them again. I will post more info as it becomes available.

And just as Dartin Menny said, you can see Duck & Cover again along with Big Sandy and Captain Jeffrey and The Chumbuckets on Nov 28th, I have posted it under Tiki Music if you need more info. All three bands are great. A fun time to be had for all.

If you enjoyed last Sunday's brunch most all of the bands we book are top notch and you might of not heard of the bands we book but Hillbilly Jeff has the best taste and is very picky with who he books, so you know they just have to be outstanding. So please check us out again. You can find my postings under Tiki Music and sometimes under California Events. Be sure to pass along the word if you had a great time, we would greatly appreciate it. To all of you that came out last Sunday and for those of you that make it out every single Sunday thanks so much for your support. Hope to you all soon.

View Profile of tiki-a-fair Send a personal message to tiki-a-fair      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-19 4:03 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-19 07:55, tiki-a-fair wrote:
THE HULA GIRLS WILL BE BACK IN JANUARY! Yippy, we had such a great time listening to them we just had to book them again. I will post more info as it becomes available.

And just as Dartin Menny said, you can see Duck & Cover again along with Big Sandy and Captain Jeffrey and The Chumbuckets on Nov 28th, I have posted it under Tiki Music if you need more info. All three bands are great. A fun time to be had for all.

If you enjoyed last Sunday's brunch most all of the bands we book are top notch and you might of not heard of the bands we book but Hillbilly Jeff has the best taste and is very picky with who he books, so you know they just have to be outstanding. So please check us out again. You can find my postings under Tiki Music and sometimes under California Events. Be sure to pass along the word if you had a great time, we would greatly appreciate it. To all of you that came out last Sunday and for those of you that make it out every single Sunday thanks so much for your support. Hope to you all soon.

Yippy Skippy! (I like that phrase)

We will be glad to be back, and even more so now that I know what the place looks like and what the vibe is like. I forgot to mention how wierd it was being in such a dark, intimate bar, then going outside to be in broad daylight. Wierd.

And this time, everyone please drive carefully! Don't need what happened to woohoo and soccer to happen to anyone else!

By the way, where are those pix tiki-affair? Bring 'em on!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGeeki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-19 8:56 pm   Permalink

I have to say, the brunch was my first time listening to The Hula Girls... and my first time at Redwood. Both were awesome! I had such a blast.

Besides the band and the great atmosphere... I have to give mad props (seriously mad props) to Rhonda, the bartender, who created one of the best tiki cocktails I've had. Feeling the vibe of the place, I asked her for a rum cocktail. She was so excited and passionate about making a Mojito (very tasty btw), I had to follow up with a request for something unique and exciting. Her eyes lit up and made me two cocktails, the second was pure tiki inspiration (the first was good too, but needed some lime). Absolutely amazing! I had three. Kiki von Tiki enjoyed one herself. I'm seriously tempted to go back this Sunday and get another... or three. I'm kind of sad Hula Girls isn't a fixture there Sundays otherwise their music, brunch and those drinks would become a regular part of my diet.

If anyone swings by when Rhonda is working, ask for her Me'Limon. Lots of rum... lots of lime... even its creation was in the true spirit of the tiki! Such a great time!

View Profile of TikiGeeki Send a personal message to TikiGeeki  Goto the website of TikiGeeki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-a-fair
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-20 07:55 am   Permalink

Hello there Lucas

I will post the pic's soon, I have had a very busy week, I am only on TC when I am at work, once I am home the madness sets in and I cant down load the pics while at work the program for my camara is on my home computer. But I will have some down time this weekend, so there coming, I promise!

And hello Tiki Geeki,

So glad you loved the drinks and Rhonda, that is good to hear. Yes please do come back for drinks, The Hula Girls wont be there every Sunday but there is still great music there every week. You would probably enjoy the show on Nov 30th it's pretty much rockabilly, but so good, If you liked Amber Foxx who played last Sunday along with The Hula Girls, it's along the same lines as her music.

By the way The Hula Girls date is January 4th, hope to see you there!

tiki-a-fair
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-23 07:49 am   Permalink

Well here as promised are the pictures from the Nov 16th show. Hope you like them! Be sure to check out The Hula Girls again on January 4th at The Redwood Bar & Grill and remember we have shows every Sunday, our bands are always top notch.

Hillbilly Jeff having some fun with Duck & Cover

Duck & Cover being Silly

Amber Foxx

more Amber foxx

Amber Foxx

Duck & Cover

Peter of Duck & Cover

More Duck & Cover

The Hula Girls

The Hula Girls

The Hula Girls

The Hula Girls

The Hula Girls

Justin Curtis

Justin Curtis

lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-24 10:05 am   Permalink

Great pictures, Tiki-a-fair!!!!!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
moondog426
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-24 3:08 pm   Permalink

Dontcha just love good music....yeehaw!...great pics thatnks for posting.

View Profile of moondog426 Send a personal message to moondog426  Email moondog426     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-24 4:09 pm   Permalink

That telecaster player for Justin Curtis (Very last picture). Words don't even describe how good that guy was. He was like Vince Gill, maybe even a little better.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation