FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tikis in films
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
Tikis in films
kah706
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-06-05 2:59 pm   Permalink

Spotted some tiki action in two films recently:

- Robinson Crusoe on Mars. The stranded astronaut is trying to light a fire in the thin atmosphere with a matchbook which has a tiki mask on it from the Kailua Klub in San Diego, California. Actually, a really good movie too.

- Muppets in Space. Yeah, I know, but there was nothing else on. The muppets are having a tropical themed jacuzzi party and a couple of them are sipping from tiki mugs.

Does anyone know if there is a list of films with tikis in them? If not, there should be.

Cheers,
Kelly

[ This Message was edited by: kah706 on 2004-02-03 08:44 ]

View Profile of kah706 Send a personal message to kah706  Goto the website of kah706     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-06 08:15 am   Permalink

Here's one:
Ferris Bueller's Day Off. There's a scene in the beginning of the movie where Ferris is on the phone trying to persuade Cameron to come pick him up. He's sitting in a lounge chair by the pool sipping a drink from a Hawaii Kai Hula Girl mug.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-06 09:06 am   Permalink

I think that most Robinson Crusoe movies have a high tiki-ness, though most don't feature a heavy Tiki count (apart from this reacent made for TV version that I saw with lots of new caledonian tiki's in it) but inessance the whole tropical island theme, grass huts and bamboo furniture, think of the disney film "the swiss family robinson" that tree house would make a brillant tiki bar.
And I agree "Robinson Crusoe on mars" is ace

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-06 10:55 am   Permalink

This thread points to one of the problems of this board: New (and old) members don't have the time to browse through all previous posts, not even the ones that are on the same page.
This should have landed under the ol' "tiki bar scene in old movie" header...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-06-06 12:17 pm   Permalink

The Tiki bar scenes thread is for scenes shot in Tiki bars. This one seems to be a "spot the Tiki" thread. The pool scene in the Elvis flick "Clambake" (brought to our attention by bigbrotiki) is a Tiki scene in a movie, but as I recall (before I fell asleep) it was not a Tiki bar scene. Splitting hairs, perhaps, but we all seem to be mighty good at that.

[ This Message was edited by: woofmutt on 2002-06-06 12:23 ]

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoBeTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-06-07 09:56 am   Permalink

Since this thread has officially been dubbed "Non-Tiki Bar" Tiki spottings in movies, I'll add one I saw the other night. Black Widow with Theresa Russell and Debra Winger. A large Tiki carving can be seen outside of a Hawaiian resort where the girls stay. Other than that, the few highlights of the movie feature Theresa Russell in a bikini and Debra Winger applying CPR to Theresa...

View Profile of SoBeTiki Send a personal message to SoBeTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-23 10:02 am   Permalink

I've been asked by a local film maker of my acquaintance to dress a mock "home tiki bar" for an independent film he's directing. Most of the dressing will be from my own collection, but I'll probably have to build a bar from scratch as mine can't be moved. Should be fun - I'll let you know how it goes. Say Woffmut - interested in carving something for use on the silver screen?

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-02 3:18 pm   Permalink

I saw 3 movies on video this weekendwith Tiki drinks: 1 was the afore mentioned "Muppets from Space" (Ratso & PePe are drinking from tiny green tiki mugs & there's a 3rd in the background), "Weird Al" Yankovic's "UHF" (Al goes into a bar & orders a Blueberry Daqueri & it comes in a "Mr. Bali Hai" mug), & "Boys on the Side" (Drew Barrymore's character's playing Putt-Putt golf while drinking from a coconut shell mug with an umbrella & fruit garnish).

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-02 4:02 pm   Permalink

aloha,
Quote:

On 2002-06-06 08:15, PolynesianPop wrote:
Here's one:
Ferris Bueller's Day Off. He's sitting in a lounge chair by the pool sipping a drink from a Hawaii Kai Hula Girl mug.

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-10 13:49 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-02 6:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

bigbrotiki wrote:
This thread points to one of the problems of this board: New (and old) members don't have the time to browse through all previous posts, not even the ones that are on the same page.
This should have landed under the ol' "tiki bar scene in old movie" header...

Here is the thread that Bigbro is referring to.

[ This Message was edited by: SugarCaddyDaddy on 2004-02-02 18:12 ]

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-02 9:16 pm   Permalink

Rapa Nui (sorry it's not on DVD yet)

A forbidden love story, the annual birdman competition, and of course carving Moai heads, moving Moai heads are mostly what the film is about.

Lots of great tikis, even if there is not lots of great acting.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-02 10:10 pm   Permalink

This came up in my "Tikis in films" TC search, and Hanford(!), Dam was I HAPPY!

http://www.giligins.com/bars_go_gos_ni/Page_27_Giligx.html

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-02 11:16 pm   Permalink

Bio-Dome with Pauley Shore has several Tikis and hawaiian signs during the big luau scene. (Looks like the same stuff for rent at Oceanic Arts.)

Chairman of the board with Carrot top has all kinds of cool things, rat finks, moon eyes, Tiki's, hula girls, etc.

Erich

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-03 04:05 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-02 21:16, captnkirk wrote:
Rapa Nui (sorry it's not on DVD yet)

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2014-09-12 23:34 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-03 05:16 am   Permalink

The old film "Come Back Little Sheba" starring Burt Lancaster & Shirley Booth has a scene where she is listening to an exotica music radio program called "Taboo".

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation