FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tikis in films
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 )
Tikis in films
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-01 01:21 am   Permalink

Ah, yes, DEAD HEAT ON A MERRY GO ROUND where cool Colburn says a memorable line as he's describing the apartment his new wife picked out without him, "It's kind of a Wackiki Pop isn't it." Not sure if he was trying to say "Waikiki Pop" or was hinting to his wife that the décor is wacky, ether way, it has been one of my favorite terms. Sounds like a book title I know. Thanks BaliHai for the great screen shots. And thanks, Otto for reviving that movie list from B. Berry. There are some titles that I didn't know about.

Funny or coincidence in class this morning we covered Pacific in films and we shown a few Hollywood film clips, one of Bali Hai in SOUTH PACIFIC and the other weird tiki moai like image in the prequel to RETURN TO THE BLUE LAGOON with the young Brooke Shields. Here's that tiki which is fun to compare with the one Otto posted.

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2014-10-01 01:27 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-01 5:22 pm   Permalink

Here are a couple of screensnaps of the Tiki bar scene from "Bachelor in Paradise". It's obviously a standard restaurant set, dressed up with a little bamboo, some tropical flowers, and a couple of Balinese statues, but the drinks look pretty enticing, and there's a good floor show, so I think I'll hang out a while, have another "Scorpion's Kiss" (only two to a customer!), and watch Lana do the 3-sheets-to-the-wind Hula.

[ This Message was edited by: MrBaliHai 2014-10-01 17:22 ]

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicoma
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2014-10-13 11:18 pm   Permalink

I really liked In Search Of The Castaways when I was a kid, so I watched it again a couple years ago, it has no plot and bad acting by Chevalier but it did have tikis!

At the bridge entering the Maori village.

Around the door where they were captives.

And this building in the background.

These must have been a set made at the studio in England where it was filmed. Some cool background and foreground paintings for the movie though.

aloha, tikicoma

View Profile of tikicoma Send a personal message to tikicoma      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 10 days ago; 3:11 pm   Permalink

I caught an advance screening of Tim Burton's new film "big eyes" last night. The attention to period detail is great. Hawaii features prominently in the story and a souvenir Kane statue plays a role.

Most interestingly, there is a scene set in San Francisco's Tiki Bobs. The scene plays out in medium and close up shots and there are no tikis but if you are watching carefully you will catch the details.

There's also a ton of great mid century modern furniture and design elements throughout the film.

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 10 days ago; 4:13 pm   Permalink

SoCal Savage is the movie closer in tone to Ed Wood?
or actually a straight forward drama?

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 10 days ago; 4:54 pm   Permalink

ATP - it's more straightforward than Ed Wood but still has old school Burton touches. Definitely the best thing he's done in years.

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 10 days ago; 7:22 pm   Permalink

GTK! Thanks.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2014-11-15 19:23 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 8 days ago; 6:46 pm   Permalink

Mahalo SCS, great news and thanks for sharing. I remember rumors of this movie but I guess they slipped in and out of the islands without much notice. I also remember Margaret Keane and her work here in Hawai'i. She comes from a long line of great artist living or being inspired by Hawai'i. We in Hawai'i seemed shocked about the trial and her husbands claims. We on the rock knew all along Margaret was the painter. Here are some screen shots from the trailer. I can't wait for the movie to come out.

The classic Diamond Head shot (without the hotels below its tip):

Getting married at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel:

Here, in the background, one can see what we know of Margaret's work in Hawai'i with the big "Polynesian" eyes:

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2014-11-17 18:48 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 7 days ago; 8:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-11-17 18:46, creativenative wrote:
Mahalo SCS, great news and thanks for sharing. I remember rumors of this movie but I guess they slipped in and out of the islands without much notice.

Creative -- they definitely shot on location, I checked the credits! Though Canada served for most of San Francisco (minus the exteriors). Burton for sure has an appreciation of the era.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 7 days ago; 9:25 pm   Permalink

The Package 1989 movie with Gene Hackman and Tommy Lee Jones had a scene at Ciral's House of Tiki in Chicago.

Outside scene.

I could not find a clip of the indoor shots, but there is a bar scene with Hackman and Jones.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 7:01 pm   Permalink

"Murder, My Sweet" (1944)

Dick Powell searches for Moose's dame, Velma, at the Cocoanut Beach Club; a couple of years before the Tiki craze hit, but still a nice hybrid of oriental, bamboo, and nautical themes. Note the mask on the wall behind Powell and Mike Mazurki in the last screencap.

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation