FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tikis in films
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 Next Page )
Tikis in films
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-17 11:51 am   Permalink

The only thing missing from that photo is "Emma Peel's" catsuit!

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-17 9:59 pm   Permalink

Great photo, Kiara, I don't remember seeing that in your folders. Some photos stay with us for a long time until they reveal their purpose to us. That picture of Bob Cummings with the two leopard swimsuit models I used in Tiki Modern had been in my possession for over 30 years, I brought it with me from Germany because it was a cool photo - and he was holding a light meter I used to use.

The Avengers episode that the Elstree Maori Tiki appears in is called "The 50000 Pound Breakfast". You get to see it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ0TsA10xns&feature=relmfu

You see it briefly (half of it) at 4:00 minutes and at 8:14 in the background:

Interesting how muted the colors of the Tiki are in your photo. It is my assumption that they put the garish garish colored Tikis into that episode because they wanted to make the show more colorful for the American Market:

"This series was broadcast in the U.S. from January to May 1967. The American prologue of the previous series was rejigged for the colour episodes. It opened with the caption The Avengers In Color (required by ABC for colour series at that time). This was followed by Steed unwrapping the foil from a champagne bottle and Peel shooting the cork away. (Unlike the "chessboard" opening of the previous series, this new prologue was also included in UK broadcasts of the series.)" - Wikipedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AAJHduhHWM

I liked the show better in B&W

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-23 10:36 pm   Permalink

Yowza!!!!

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-24 05:10 am   Permalink

The image above is from The Avengers' episode "A Touch of Brimstone" where Emma Peel plays the Queen of Sin... see clip. That episode was considered too risque for American audiences, and did not air in the U.S. in 1966.

The real shame was that "Honey West" was canceled after just one season in 1965 when ABC decided it would be cheaper to import the British series than to continue producing HW.

Too bad, Anne Francis was way more Tiki than Diana Rigg !!

OK, back to Tiki in FILMS...

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-24 11:02 am   Permalink

....but Miss M. Appeal painted like Derek Yaniger

(Nice Honey West stills, John-O!)

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-15 12:24 am   Permalink

No tikis in the movie "Argo" but Alan Arkin does mention having had a "mai tai at Trader Vic's". Made me smile.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-26 12:33 pm   Permalink

Here is some news on a new movie now in production called "Deep Tiki" from Cameron Crowe
Plot involves:

"A disgraced military weapons consultant who, after being deployed to a dormant base in Hawaii to supervise the launch of a spy satellite, “starts to discover himself and the relationships he left behind against the backdrop of mythical island lore and Cold War-esque diplomacy.” The story involved visions of Hawaiian Gods and a sacrifice being thrown into a volcano.

Do you want to know more?:
http://collider.com/emma-stone-cameron-crowe-deep-tiki/185099/

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-21 11:40 am   Permalink

Don't know if this one is here or not but Honolulu is not
bad, no tiki but there is a lot of cool rattan and Hawaii type decor.
Hollywoods old school idea of Hawaii.

Plot Summary for
Honolulu (1939) More at IMDbPro »
Movie star Brooks Mason tries to avoid his fans and spend some weeks on vacation. When Hawaiian plantage-owner George Smith is mistaken by Mason's fans for Mason and brought to Mason's home. They decide to change their identitiess for a few weeks. But George Smith is mobbed by Mason's fans again on a personal appearance tour in New York, Mason falls in love to dancer Dorothy March, who also is on her way to Hawaii. Problems for Mason arise due to the fact that Smith is engaged with Cecilia Grayson, and her wealthy father believes, that Smith has double-crossed him. Mason isn't able to establish a connection with Smith in New York due to his agent's orders... Written by

Director:
Edward Buzzell

Writers:
Herbert Fields (screenplay), Frank Partos (screenplay), and 1 more credit »

Stars:
Eleanor Powell, Robert Young and George Burns | See full cast and crew

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-21 12:05 pm   Permalink

Funny Skip, I just watched the movie on TCM this morning
the big Hula/Modern dance number at the end was a lot of fun.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-21 12:27 pm   Permalink

Well it looks like you were doing what I did.
Yeah the bandstand wraped in rattan was cool.
Like to watch those old movies at Christmas time.
Happy Turkey day.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2012-11-21 8:15 pm   Permalink

John O did post about this movie here on this thread.

Holler Waller
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-30 7:23 pm   Permalink

Adventures of Tintin had some ancient treasures lined up

View Profile of Holler Waller Send a personal message to Holler Waller      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-31 12:47 am   Permalink

Good eye H.W.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-21 10:02 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-03-18 08:05, bigbrotiki wrote:
CN, I think what we are looking at is the bamboo-colored version of this Okolehao bottle:

(Above is from page 39 of this thread)

Yeah! I just got my own, obviously on left of photo. I was fascinated by the decanter and while I was looking for dark blue glass floats yesterday I found this one (I love the tapa colors). Thanks again Big Bro for the info.

BTW I also picked up those brown little tiki salt & pepper shakers, sorry probably wrong thread but anybody know about them?

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2013-02-21 22:04 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gunga Galunga

Posted: 2013-02-26 7:13 pm   Permalink

While not a TV show or movie, I remember going to the arcades quite a bit as a kid, and coming across a fighting game called World Heroes 2. There was a character named "Mudman" who hailed from Papua New Guinea. He was actually the first "Tiki" anything I ever stumbled across as a kid and I was instantly fascinated with what this was all about.

Below is a link from Youtube of a person playing as Mudman in a game, enjoy my first taste of Tiki!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae1zHxHKnjg

View Profile of Gunga Galunga Send a personal message to Gunga Galunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation