FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tikis in films
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
Tikis in films
AceExplorer
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-17 08:29 am   Permalink

There will likely be the usual marketing tie-ins. Moana happy meals are a no-brainer, right? And the Enchanted Tiki Room -- look out -- changes may be coming. If mythological gods do make appearances in the film, then I can't help thinking of what might be planned for the Tiki Room forecourt (at Disneyland) for marketing purposes. Several aspects of this could get scary. We'll have to wait and see.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-12-17 09:32 am   Permalink

This has probably been listed, but I couldn't find it. The original 1960 version of Ocean's 11 has some PNG carvings on the wall of the house belonging to Mr. Acebos.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, Muppet Treasure Island has singing tiki statues.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-17 9:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-17 08:29, AceExplorer wrote:
There will likely be the usual marketing tie-ins. Moana happy meals are a no-brainer, right? And the Enchanted Tiki Room -- look out -- changes may be coming. If mythological gods do make appearances in the film, then I can't help thinking of what might be planned for the Tiki Room forecourt (at Disneyland) for marketing purposes. Several aspects of this could get scary. We'll have to wait and see.

I don't know…:

Quote:

On 2013-12-16 13:38, AceExplorer wrote:
….The film will also include demi-gods and spirits taken from real mythology

It seems to me they are avoiding the term Tiki as it is stemming from an un-p.c. period. And rightly so, the blog's reaction is typical:

Quote:

Polynesians have a long tradition of having their culture romantically defined by others from the noble savage of the 18th century, through several versions of Mutiny on the Bounty and the stereotype defining musical by Rodgers and Hammerstein, South Pacific, which was based on James Michener's book of the same name.

These days South Pacific looks decidedly culturally inappropriate - and even now offends Polynesians, especially those mistaken for the character, Bloody Mary.

WHERE were there Polynesians in South Pacific? And Bloody Mary was Tonkinese, correct me if I am wrong. There is no way nowadays to not offend SOME people. An American museum director was interested in my Tiki exhibition but asked "Can you guarantee me that no Pacific islanders will be offended?" I said there is no reason why they should be, but I cannot guarantee that there won't be one or the other who will. Comes with the territory.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach

Posted: 2013-12-18 08:20 am   Permalink

[quote]
On 2013-12-17 21:36, bigbrotiki wrote:
Quote:

WHERE were there Polynesians in South Pacific? And Bloody Mary was Tonkinese, correct me if I am wrong. There is no way nowadays to not offend SOME people. An American museum director was interested in my Tiki exhibition but asked "Can you guarantee me that no Pacific islanders will be offended?" I said there is no reason why they should be, but I cannot guarantee that there won't be one or the other who will. Comes with the territory.

Maybe you could run the tiki exhibit idea past the people at the Pacific Island Ethnic Art Museum in Long Beach and see what their opinion is? The people that work and volunteer there are from all over the Pacific.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-04 02:14 am   Permalink

Great report MaukaHale. Big Bro. is right, you can not please everyone. Disney, at these PC times, will do its best. I think they were overly politically correct with their new Aulani Resort in Hawaii. There are hardly any tie-ins to a great Disney connection to Hawaii and the South Seas. Yes a mouse dancing the hula or an alien surfing the Kaua'i waves seems awkward for some but they were well done. Proper homework and effort is all one can ask for. Like, as we know fluorescent painted tikis or mixing the limbo bar in a luau drives me, as a native scholar on the this subject, nuts, so does certain movies but not all. Again, for me, it's the effort and sensitivity. Some producer/director/writers don't give a rat's okole to the cultural material but are guided by the all mighty buck. And it shows in their finished products. This is how I rate South Seas movies. While's Michener's Hawaii is my favorite some of my fellow indigenous colleagues disagree with me. While I love Michener, considering he is writing from an Orientalist or "outsider" point of view, he had done his homework. Funny though, my biggest problem with one of his films (and as also mentioned in this thread)was the "Hollywood" mixed "Polynesian/Melanesian" natives of Bali Hai in "South Pacific". Yes, there are, sort of Polynesians in the movie, yet only as background. Thank you Big Bro for pointing out the fact that Bloody Mary and her daughter Liat are not even "Nesians" in the film, like everyone else thinks they are. The customs, costumes and culture of the fictitious isle of Bali Hai were very confusing. But I blame not Michener, the writer, but the Art Director (now Production Designer) and the Director who approved it. Maybe that is why you didn't recognize any Polynesians in the film Big Bro. . Bottom line, I think Disney will make us all proud in "Moana", indigenous or not. The only hairly part is the portrayal of the Polynesian demi gods. Giving them the proper names and their correct backgrounds are a good start and it can be culturally edifying for all as well.

I think the working title of "Moana" was "Tiki" a couple of years ago when Disney put together a couple of writers for the project but like Cameron Crowe's just finished shooting, "Dark Tiki" the tile will change because of politically correctness. We all must remember that this is NOT a bad thing because "truly living Tiki" is buying "true to the culture" tiki items or watching and recognizing correct Oceanic representations on the big and small screen.

Made some corrections. Got to stop writing stuff at 2:00 in the morning.

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2014-01-04 13:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2014-01-04 13:27 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-04 02:50 am   Permalink

Forgot these pics for tikilongbeach.
There are no better examples of mid-century coolness than the characters of "Ocean's Eleven" and Danny Ocean right hand man, Sam Harmon, lives where? Hawaii! Can't get more cool or tiki than that... well except for, maybe, living in Tahiti. Here are shots of him (played by Dean Martin) arriving in Vegas.

Reminds me of another cool actress of the time, here is her Hawaii flight bag:

Another mid-Century icon, Marilyn, who just arrives also from Hawaii after being missing for a couple years in the South Seas. Ironically her husband, now remarried, was also played by Dino Martin. Sadly, "Something's Got to Give" was Marilyn's last movie, before she died, that was never finished.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErkNoLikeFire
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-04 1:33 pm   Permalink

Just watched Anchorman 2. Really funny, and due to the vintage setting, has some surprises. Ron's office has a large Witco ship hanging on the wall, and one short cutaway has Fred Willard and Chris Parnell sitting in a tiki lounge. I dont know if it's an existing location or a set because it it's a very brief scene, but looked like Trader Vic's Mai Tai glassware.

“The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass.” Martin Mull

"Rum is not drinking, it's surviving" Robert Shaw THE DEEP

View Profile of ErkNoLikeFire Send a personal message to ErkNoLikeFire  Email ErkNoLikeFire     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-04 4:13 pm   Permalink

It was briefly mentioned way back in this thread
in the movie "The Big Heat" (Fritz Lang 1953)

In the last quarter of the movie much of the action takes place in
"Vince Stone's" (Lee Marvin) apartment and a large Moai is very prominent
in the background near his bar.

Great movie also.....

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Alderete
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-07 8:26 pm   Permalink

Some stills from the 1972 movie Les Soleils de l'Ile de Pâques (The Suns of Easter Island)

Some wooden moais, kava kava and stone make make

at the National Museum of Chilean Art

at Easter Island with real moais

View Profile of Dr. Alderete Send a personal message to Dr. Alderete  Email Dr. Alderete Goto the website of Dr. Alderete     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martian-tiki

Posted: 2014-01-07 11:15 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-07 20:26, Dr. Alderete wrote:
Some stills from the 1972 movie Les Soleils de l'Ile de Pâques (The Suns of Easter Island)

doing a search for this on home video i saw someone has it on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-3eOOywpz0

[ This Message was edited by: martian-tiki 2014-01-07 23:15 ]

View Profile of martian-tiki Send a personal message to martian-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Alderete
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-08 11:04 am   Permalink

Ogú y Mampato en Rapa Nui (2002)
Director: Alejandro Rojas
Writers: Themo Lobos (comic book), Daniel Turkieltaub (screenplay)

View Profile of Dr. Alderete Send a personal message to Dr. Alderete  Email Dr. Alderete Goto the website of Dr. Alderete     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-14 1:53 pm   Permalink

Good stuff Erk, ATP & Doc. Had to go to the theater and watch "Anchorman 2", good catch on the tiki bar scene. Would of been funny if the kept cutting back to the bar throughout the movie, establishing that Willard and Parnell's never leave. Perhaps in our minds they never do.

Had to order "The Big Heat" on Netflix. See pic. below:

Cool, but bad guy, Marvin, not only had a Moai head in his penthouse apartment but also tropical anthuriums and monstra leaves which causes a great shadow effect in b&w Noirs.

Doc, nice screen shots. Watched "Ogú y Mampato en Rapa Nui" on YouTube. My Spanish is rusty but I enjoyed it. Please keep those Spanish language titles coming. It's about the images not the language.

creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-14 2:08 pm   Permalink

Oh, I was going to ask if any body thought that Moai head in "The Big Heat" looked familiar, but I found this from the "Creature with the Atom Brain"

Both films were distributed by Columbia so probably came from their prop house. Anybody else seen this Moai head?

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-14 2:13 pm   Permalink

Thanks creativenative for that screen grab from "The Big Heat"

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-14 2:24 pm   Permalink

No. ATP thank you for bringing it to our attention, like many alert members of TC. One more image for my photo bank. I'ld like to thank also, Netflix and the U.S. postal service. --- I'm watching too many awards shows.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation