FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tikis in films
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
Tikis in films
Dr. Alderete
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-15 12:20 am   Permalink

Blake & Mortimer: Le secret de l'île de Pâques (1997)
Characters created by E. P. Jacobs
Direction: Stephane Bernasconi / Yannick Barbau

View Profile of Dr. Alderete Send a personal message to Dr. Alderete  Email Dr. Alderete Goto the website of Dr. Alderete     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Alderete
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-15 12:26 am   Permalink

Quote:

Doc, nice screen shots. Watched "Ogú y Mampato en Rapa Nui" on YouTube. My Spanish is rusty but I enjoyed it. Please keep those Spanish language titles coming. It's about the images not the language.

Thanks!
Ogu and Mampato is from Chile, now another one France/Belgium...

[ This Message was edited by: Dr. Alderete 2014-01-15 00:32 ]

View Profile of Dr. Alderete Send a personal message to Dr. Alderete  Email Dr. Alderete Goto the website of Dr. Alderete     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-16 12:44 am   Permalink

Yes, Doc! That what I'm talking about. Great French/Belgium find! Keep them coming.

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2014-01-16 00:45 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr. Alderete
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-18 12:05 am   Permalink

Rokunga, el último hombre pájaro, 2002 (Rokunga, The last bird man)
Direction: Erwin Gómez Viñales

https://vimeo.com/16241664

Is a short film (7 minutes) made in Chile, where the characters are moais kava kava and moais tangata manu from Easter Island...

Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-15 2:57 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-04 13:33, ErkNoLikeFire wrote:
Just watched Anchorman 2. Really funny, and due to the vintage setting, has some surprises. Ron's office has a large Witco ship hanging on the wall

And here's that scene:

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Holler Waller
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-25 7:18 pm   Permalink

Mythic Journeys used this moai towards the end of the film for about 4 seconds. Nothing Tiki about the film or content at all.

View Profile of Holler Waller Send a personal message to Holler Waller      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
uncle trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-29 05:49 am   Permalink

Godzilla vs Megalon 1973. This royal piece of crap is one of my favorite Godzilla films. The film pits Godzilla and Jet Jaguar against Megalon and Gigan. The bad guys are summoned to destroy the surface of the earth. The undersea world of Seatopia is seeking vengeance against the surface dwellers and their use of nuclear weapons. A giant silver Moai is the god of choice shown and prayed to. Easter Island is also shown. A great film to burn a few brain cells out while watching.

View Profile of uncle trav Send a personal message to uncle trav      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-11 8:42 pm   Permalink

I just got home from a double feature of Mothra and King Kong vs Godzilla that my buddy put on today at the New Beverly in LA. I hadn't seen either since I was a kid. To say they don't hold up would be a mistatement since I'm pretty sure these were cheesy in the 70s/80s, but there were some almost surreal and very enjoyable moments in both films. What stood out for me the most though was the presence of Tiki elements in both films. King Kong vs Godzilla is mentioned earlier in this thread in a post by Creativenative, as is a Mothra sequel, but I didn't see any mention of the first Mothra.

Mothra is the superior of the 2 films both in production value and in Tiki. Many of the plot elements are the same in both films (Mothra was actually produced a year earlier than King Kong vs Godzilla) . In both films there is a visit to a mysterious island and in both films the islands are inhabited by natives who are played by Japanese actors in black face. It seems like they're supposed to be Polynesian natives, since the scientist is brought on because of his knowledge of Polynesian languages. On the island a pair of tiny singing sisters are discovered and ultimately stolen, but before this happens the hero scientist stumbles into a mysterious cave where he takes an imprint of some glyphs on the walls all in front of a silent stone Moai that looks a lot like the one on the Forbidden Island Album cover. I can't find a picture of this guy right now. Later on after the sisters are stolen and a bunch of the natives gunned down trying to stop their captors, the natives hold a ritual to bring Mothra to life. Mothras egg sits over a giant chamber that is inhabited by three large stone Moais.

In King Kong vs Godzilla - On the island they discover Kong on, there are carved wooden idols at the center of the village with Ape faces that are part of the ritual to summon Kong. They are Tiki-esque though I wouldn't call them Tikis. The natives (once again Japanese in black face) also have shields that are knock offs of PNG designs. The ritual itself could have been a floor show and the whole scene felt like an exotica inspired fever dream.

These were both produced by Toho studios, so 100% Japanese productions, which I thought was pretty cool.

[ This Message was edited by: SoCal Savage 2014-05-11 20:53 ]

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PabTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-11 9:03 pm   Permalink

Ha, my gf is obsessed with seeing the new Godzilla movie!

Great recommendations, I'm DEFINITELY going to check these out!

My collection of bifwebe | My cruddy music

View Profile of PabTiki Send a personal message to PabTiki  Goto the website of PabTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PabTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-11 9:05 pm   Permalink

For the non-King Kong movie, was it Godzilla vs. Mothra (1964), or just Mothra (1961)?

http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/549156?strkid=932481508_1_0&trkid=222336&movieid=549156

http://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Mothra/70120056?strkid=932481508_0_0&strackid=4caf6d16534becbc_0_srl&trkid=222336

My collection of bifwebe | My cruddy music

[ This Message was edited by: PabTiki 2014-05-11 21:07 ]

View Profile of PabTiki Send a personal message to PabTiki  Goto the website of PabTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-11 10:16 pm   Permalink

The first one - Mothra 1961.

I think Godzilla vs Mothra may be mentioned earlier in this thread though.

View Profile of SoCal Savage Send a personal message to SoCal Savage      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PabTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-12 5:21 pm   Permalink

Cool thanks!

JOHN-O
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-22 08:36 am   Permalink

Here's a cool lobby card for the 1961 "Mothra" emphasizing the faux Japanese Poly Pop kitsch...

And a close up of the Moai...

View Profile of JOHN-O Send a personal message to JOHN-O      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-22 5:22 pm   Permalink

Good finds Uncle Trav and John-O. Learn something and see something new on TC all the time. Everyone thanks for your snooping and sharing. Keep up the good work.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoCal Savage
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-22 6:35 pm   Permalink

Great find on that lobby card John O. I wish I could find a shot of the "mysterious cave" with the Moai in it, that the scientist character discovers the glyphs in.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation