FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Tikis in films
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 )
Tikis in films
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-06-23 8:01 pm   Permalink

Haha! Unfortunately they were probably burned after filming but who knows, Maybe a local has one rotting in his backyard. Too bad we don't have many TCers there to investigate "the mystery missing moai matter" for us. Sounds like a title for a "Hardy Boys" episode.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-29 01:12 am   Permalink

Anybody see "American Ultra"? I liked it, but besides that, the story is framed around Jesse Eisenberg obsession on things Hawaiian. Like Stephen Baldwin's character in "Under the Hula Moon" (1995), Jessie plays Hawaiian music, wears Aloha shirts and has a major goal to visit Hawai'i. But unlike Baldwin and like Al Pacino in "Scarface" (1983), Jessie’s Aloha shirt gets covered in blood.

Eisenberg in "American Ultra"

Pacino in "Scarface'

Baldwin IN "Under the Hula Moon" (that is supposed to be sunblock on his nose)

P.S. Anyone is there a Aloha shirt on screen thread? Might be a good subject.

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2015-08-29 01:14 ]

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2015-08-29 01:15 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-29 01:54 am   Permalink

Sorry, unfortunately "American Ultra" has no tikis that I noticed and to the best of my knowledge either does "Scarface" but "Under the Hula Moon" has some straight out of a Party City catalog.

Moai tiki lights hanging on Baldwin's trailer porch

Small tiki hanging on wall behind evil brother Chris Penn's head

swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-26 8:52 pm   Permalink

Re-watched a really bad but good B-Grade horror movie the other night from the late 80's called Brain Damage that i would have seen when it first came out and was long before i was into Tiki. The opening scenes include a lot of primitive carvings, most of it is what i think is African but there are a few really great PNG pieces. I've included the screen grabs i took of everything just to show you all as reference.

And this probably should go in the Food and Drinks forum but i thought i'd show it here as it was part of the opening scene and caught my eye. It's not Coco Lopez but it's Coco something. Anyone know what it is?

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-11-27 10:07 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-11-26 20:52, swizzle wrote:

And this probably should go in the Food and Drinks forum but i thought i'd show it here as it was part of the opening scene and caught my eye. It's not Coco Lopez but it's Coco something. Anyone know what it is?

It's Coco Goya, cream of coconut put out by Goya. I've used it on occasion. I remember that label design from the 80's.

http://www.amazon.com/Goya-Coco-Cream-Coconut-Onces/dp/B004IMOIJA

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-15 11:15 pm   Permalink

Scene from The FISHERMAN BAR in the Film Noir movie, DOA.

The location was at 111 Embarcadero at the corner of Merchant Street between Clay and Washington (click image to enlarge). The Fisherman name was fictitious but a bar had occupied this spot for decades - it was called Jack's Waterfront Hangout at the time the movie was filmed. Jack's was a leather bar from 1952 to 1963.
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-02-19 1:28 pm   Permalink

Hey mrsmiley, thanks for posting!

I took some screencaps from that too, but never got around to posting them (or anything much in a while - last movie images I posted were
here). Anyway, now that you mention it, here's some more images. D.O.A. isn't my favorite noir in the world, but it's fun to watch Edmond O'Brien and his fierce acting. Plus the movie turns out to be almost a travelogue for some notable SF and LA locations. Here's more inside "The Fisherman"...

Here's the exterior, and even a sign, at the location on Embarcadero across from the Ferry Building.

Later on, a scene inside the iconic Bradbury building in LA.

And another with the Clifton's Brookdale facade in the background. BTW, when I took this screencap, I was wondering if O'Brien started to crack a smile here because he thought he was off-camera already.

Just for handy reference, here's another old photo of the Clifton's facade.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-19 5:44 pm   Permalink

You both missed capping the bartender (Pete Leeds) wearing a lei, standing in front of a PBR sign:

Nautical Beatnik Hipster Jive Tiki bars serving a cocktail called The Luminous Toxin...I see a great need.

[ This Message was edited by: MrBaliHai 2016-02-19 17:46 ]

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-02-21 1:15 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the add'l image. The Luminous Toxin sounds like a good name, but they say it kind of sneaks up on you after you drink it.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-15 6:04 pm   Permalink

The Idol Dancer, 1920 silent movie.
"White Almond Flower (Clarine Seymour) is a flapper-ish island girl who just can’t choose between a sickly missionary (Creighton Hale) and an atheist beach bum (Richard Barthelmess). Will WAF be “civilized” or will she be free to continue her moonlight idolatry? D.W. Griffith directs this tale of religion, the nature of civilization and shimmy-shimmy shakes."

It is a movie by D.W. Griffith.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-03-15 6:29 pm   Permalink

No tikis, but there is some hula dancing by Lucille Ball and Maureen O'Hara in 1940's 'Dance Girl, Dance'.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIoHK9JRRBY

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-12 2:28 pm   Permalink

Not sure if this has already been posted or not.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rob Roy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-18 2:23 pm   Permalink

Next week on Archer...

View Profile of Rob Roy Send a personal message to Rob Roy  Email Rob Roy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-19 09:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-18 14:23, Rob Roy wrote:
Next week on Archer...

I love it when some of my favorite non-tiki shows make it into Tiki Central! Oh, by the way, get the "Archer" app for your phone - it's a very entertaining soundboard which comes in handy.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-19 1:42 pm   Permalink

Ditto Ace. My favorite adult toon, now containing my favorite subject. Great find Rob Roy and great screen shots, they are making me salivate in anticipation. This is great follow up to this season's Archer Magnum P.I.ish promos, a must see.
YouTube link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhaEowME4T0

Sorry I got so excited, I just realized that this "Archer" discussion should be on the "Tiki on TV" or the "Tiki on Television" thread, the notorious two headed snake on TC. Actually we need a Tiki in "Toons or Anime" thread, ah maybe one day I'll start one, one day.

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2016-04-19 14:09 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation