FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Tiki Central's Official Drink contest: Deadline over!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Tiki Central's Official Drink contest: Deadline over!
ob seagull
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-03-24 6:07 pm   Permalink

since we wouldn't be here without the stylings of don the beachcomber or trader vic( or WWII for that matter), i suggest the mai tai or zombie. F! originality, let's go with tradition.
if it is universal ingredients one is looking after, i suggest the

"chief lapu lapu", because all i gotta say is : "bro the chief lapu lapu kicks ass",

and it is easy to make, in fact i think i'll have one now..

thank you and drive through supporting our troops

View Profile of ob seagull Send a personal message to ob seagull      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2003-03-25 7:21 pm   Permalink

Come on! More entries please!!

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-25 8:00 pm   Permalink

Question first...
Would you guys even consider a drink that has Malibu in it?

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Proprietor

Posted: 2003-03-25 8:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-03-25 20:00, purple jade wrote:Question first... Would you guys even consider a drink that has Malibu in it?

According to the rules, yes.

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-25 8:14 pm   Permalink

That's not exactly what I meant...

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 12:00 am   Permalink

Dang! I'm gettin' in on this LATE!!! I guess that's what I get for workin' at a Newspaper when theres a War goin' on. Hmmmmmm... Looks like I've got my work cut out for me over the next couple of nights.

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 04:57 am   Permalink

Not an entry yet, but I have something "cooking" in my head - something with grapefruit juice (in enough quantity to actualy taste it)..I'll see if I can come up with anything good in time.

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Caber-Net
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 07:24 am   Permalink

Wow you guys need some more recipes or you're not even gonna get a buzz during the taste off. Here's one.

The Tiki Torch

Juice of 1/2 lime.
1oz Light Rum
1oz Dark Rum
8 mint leaves
1 1/2 tsp simple sugar
2oz OJ

Add lime juice, Rum, mint leaves and
muddle (crush with spoon or small baseball bat). Add sugar and a little ice. Shake and pour over crushed ice topping with OJ in official TC mug(designed by Tikifish).Garnish with flaming lime shell over an orange slice covering the top of the mug. Straw stuck throuh the orange slice.

View Profile of Caber-Net Send a personal message to Caber-Net  Email Caber-Net     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-26 3:14 pm   Permalink

Well, this one's off the top of my head. Untried, unproven, but gets the basic idea from a Golden Colada.

2 oz dark rum
1 oz Amaretto
1 oz Pineapple Juice
1 OZ Orange Juice
Couple splashes of Lime juice

Serve over crushed ice.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-03-26 11:17 pm   Permalink

After much trial and error, and a few hangovers later, here's my entry:

The Jab's Knockout Punch
1 1/2 oz. gold rum (Barbados rum preferred)
1/4 oz. creme de noyaux
1/2 oz. passion fruit syrup
1/2 oz. fresh lime juice
1 oz. fresh orange juice
1 oz. soda water

Shake with plenty of cracked ice. Strain into double old-fashioned glass or small tiki mug filled with crushed ice. Top with 1 oz. soda water. Garnish with pineapple chunk, orange slice, and cherry.

/ 
 /    
  _

[ This Message was edited by: thejab on 2003-03-26 23:19 ]

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-27 12:53 am   Permalink

Ya know... I saw a few drinks on Humumumu's site that I didn't exactly recognize as things I could immediately create. There have to be others in our midst who have been practicing our own brand of alchemy for at least longer than a month, eh? I, for one, am holding back on my concoctions 'cause I haven't yet made one to be PERFECT! Perfection is, obviously, the curse of the Tiki Centralite.

And each of us, of course, has a different opinion of what PERFECTION is. That is why I think we should add another month or two to this contest.

The reason for this CONTEST is to find us a special drink?
Oh sure... We may miss a few Major Happenings on the West Coast! Hell! We might even miss the One Most Extravagant Tiki Event of All (which appears over Here on the Right Coast) even though I will miss it again this year.

I just think a decision of this magnatude deserves more than a month or so.
This is a VERY IMPORTANT CHOICE!!!

All of the Entrys Thus Far have been Marvelous! But... Shouldn't the Winner be chosen from a group of more than 5 or 6?

Don't let it land on a substandard entry just because we don't have much more time to do it, for God's sake. I mean... Perhaps we're not setting our sites as high as the Mai-Tai or the Zombie, but... This is going to be our Official Drink!!!

Shouldn't we allow a bit more time for it's creation?

[ This Message was edited by: Traitor Vic on 2003-03-27 01:08 ]

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-03-27 11:10 am   Permalink

OK, before it's too late here is my entry. This is the Kava based cocktail I have been working on for a couple of years. The Kava alone may disqualify it, as might ease of making it, but it's pretty exotic. This is the best mix I have come up with so far, although I do have variations. It is a mix of Fijian Kava and rums with passion fruit, banana and coconut flavors. All native flavors of the Fiji islands. I based it on the Zombie and I call it the Cannibal.

· 3 to 4 oz brewed Kava, sweetened with 1 oz Trader Vic’s Passion Fruit Syrup
· 1 oz white Rum (Cruzan Banana or coconut or both can be used to enhance the banana-coconut flavors, or just use a good white rum)
· 1 ½ oz Rhum Barbancourt (3-stat or 5-star)
· ½ oz Dark Rum (Meyer’s of Whaler’s)
· 2 oz Kern’s Banana-Pineapple nectar or After The Fall Banana Casablanca, or banana nectar (Looza, Pampryl or make it yourself)
· 1 oz strained coconut milk or Knudsen’s Coconut Nectar
· ½ oz Bols Bohemian Raspberry liqueur
· 151 Demerara float

To make:

First brew the Kava in a bowl. Put cracked ice into a cocktail shaker. I use a coconut bilo, which is what kava is traditionally drank from, to scoop up some kava. These hold about 4 to five oz and I leave room for the syrup. Add 1 oz Trader Vics passion fruit syrup and stir it in good to mix. Pour bilo contents into shaker. Add rums and nectars, cover shaker and shake vigorously. Pour ice and all into a 16 to 20 oz ceramic tiki mug. dash in a some of the raspberry liqueur and top with a demerrara float. Garnish as usual.

Needs to be served in a tiki mug as the color is kind of nasty (kava looks muddy). Unfortunately, a Shecky mug is a little too small. A headhunter mug, a Mr. Bali Hai or something similarly savage works best.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KokomoTikiBar&Grill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-27 1:49 pm   Permalink

My drink:

The "Jimmy Buffett Sucks it"
One Jimmy Buffett Album
6 pack of beer
Ear Plugs
Another 6 pack
5th of Tequilla
Second Pair of Ear Plugs
4# Hammer
Safety Glasses
Top it off with Whip Cream and a naked oiled up woman.

Give beer to woman, install ear plugs "IN EARS" Drink Tequilla, put on Safety Glasses, Smash Album with 4# Hammer. Eat Whip cream off of drunken, naked, oiled up woman.

View Profile of KokomoTikiBar&Grill Send a personal message to KokomoTikiBar&Grill      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-27 2:06 pm   Permalink

Ok -This is what I came up with:
(remember I wanted something that used a lot of grapefruit juice):

4 Oz Grapefruit Juice
1.5 Oz Passion Fruit Syrup
.75 Oz Fresh Lime Juice
.75 Spoon (Not Oz!!) Orgeat Syrup*
1 Oz Light Rum (Cuban or Virgin Island)
1 Oz Myers's Dark Jamaican Rum

put in a shaker with half a cup of crushed ice, shake well and put in a Tiki mug - I guess a 14-16 Oz one , add crushed Ice to fill. Garnish with, eh- I dunno - half a grapefruit, ok, no - with a mint sprig.

* You can use more Orgeat if you want - it depends how strong the taste of the syrup is. The idea is to just feel a bit of it. I used Monin brand which is very strong.

Mahalo
Ran

[ This Message was edited by: kick_the-reverb on 2003-03-30 06:04 ]

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahukini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-27 2:14 pm   Permalink

Originally posted 6/9/02:
http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=319&forum=1

The Voodoo Priest

1-2 shots El Dorado Special Reserve rum
1 shot Triple Sec
.25 oz Orgeat
.25 oz Sweet & Sour mix
3 oz Pine-0range Banana Juice (Dole makes this)
Dash Trader Vic's Grenadine

Shake with ice, pour with ice into highball glass.

The unique complex flavor of the El Dorado Special Reserve permeates through the drink, so I think its important to use that brand, but I'd bet another dark rum would be tasty too.

View Profile of kahukini Send a personal message to kahukini  Goto the website of kahukini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation