FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Tiki Central's Official Drink contest: Deadline over!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Tiki Central's Official Drink contest: Deadline over!
inkylouise
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-03-27 8:50 pm   Permalink

First, log on to Ebay and buy a vintage mug that you spend a just little too much money for…
(Be sure to pay extra for quick shipping…)

Receive mug and unwrap.

Pour ½ oz of Malibu rum into mug, swirl and dump in sink. Recite any verse from “cheeseburger in paradise” backwards to exercise any evil spirits from the mug.

Add 1 oz light rum for some “Main discussion”,
Invite 1 oz spiced rum for a spicy + sexy “Tiki Event,”
Curate 1 oz Ron Anejo Anniversario Reserva Exclusive 15 Year Old Rum from your vintage “Tiki Collection”
+ ½ oz Cointreau for something just “Beyond Tiki”.

Shake with crushed ice and top with ginger ale for some "sparkling" conversation.
Garnish with a slice of lime for our sour disagreements, and a bright red cherry for our sweet group love…..
And you’ve just made a “Tiki Central Tonic”!

View Profile of inkylouise Send a personal message to inkylouise      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-27 9:23 pm   Permalink

Okee doke... Let's try this.

I told the wife I was gonna call it "The Left Arm of Lono" but she said she'd prefer I call it "The Last Thing I Make Before I Clean Up The Counter Top."

1.5 oz. Dark Rum
1.5 oz. Añejo Rum
.5 oz. Coconut Cream
2 oz. Pineapple Juice
1 oz. Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
1 oz. Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
2 dashes Orange Bitters
1 cup Crushed Ice

Blend well. Pour into Tiki Mug. Garnish with Orange Slice, Pineapple Cube and Maraschino Cherry.

It's pretty simple. The most complicated part (of course) is melting the Coconut Cream so this is not the kind of drink you're going to make the second you walk into the house after work. It works for me, though!

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader_Rick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-28 02:15 am   Permalink

Alright, here is my recipe that is sure to lose because it contains Malbu Rum and does NOT contain anything fruity:

Coconut Milk (title my girlfriend likes)
OR
White Hawaiian (Title I like b/c of this drink's similarity to a White Russian)
OR
The Haole (b/c this is what a white Hawaiian would be, wouldn't it?)

1 1/2 oz Malibu Rum (the horror)
1 1/2 oz milk
1 1/2 oz Kahlua (oh yeah, I guess Kahlua isn't cool in Tiki Central either, is it?)

Combine all ingredients over ice and stir. As you drink, feel oncoming sense of comfort and fear as you realize that you just drank something with Malibu Rum in it that you actually enjoyed. Next, see irony in thinking Jimmy Buffet is crap while at the same time thinking Martin Denny is some kind of genius. Realize it's all just music.

Well, this drink may not have that exact affect on you, but I would like to point out that the ingredients are easy to find and it is easy to make. In fact, I ordered it at the Bahooka. Not to mention I think it tastes good. Besides, it'll get you drunk (although probably not as quickly as the other recipes submitted) and isn't all that really matters?

View Profile of Trader_Rick Send a personal message to Trader_Rick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-28 06:08 am   Permalink

I touch of the flu altered my plan to try a few recipes but probably saved me a hangover.

Straw Hat

1.5 oz Gold Barbados Rum
.5 oz peach schnapps
.5 oz creme de banana
.50 oz passion fruit syrup
2 oz orange juice
A good squeeze of fresh lime

Shake well with cracked ice. Pour into a chimney glass. Garnish with a slice of orange and cherry and a sprig of pineapple sage if available. (I grow it in my yard and can send some down.)

Tweaking it a little prior to the deadline.

[ This Message was edited by: mrtikibar on 2003-03-28 06:15 ]

[ This Message was edited by: mrtikibar on 2003-03-28 20:38 ]

[ This Message was edited by: mrtikibar on 2003-03-29 04:50 ]

[ This Message was edited by: mrtikibar on 2003-03-30 17:33 ]

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-28 09:06 am   Permalink

Hey, Trader Rick, that drink reminds me of a Kahula Colada. The tastiest blended drink ever. It is just a Pina Colada with Kahula. Looks like baby poo but is sooo yummy! My friend and I used to joke that, if certain things tasted like this we'd walk on our knees!

Any how, we tried several drinks Wed. night at work and liked the simplest one best.

Here goes- I'm not messing with measurements most bartenders count their pours anyway

****It's simply a Captain Morgain/ 7up with Creme de Almond.****** In a tiki mug it's "Tiki Blood" but any other time I like "Pirate's Blood" It's a pretty red color (would look great in a skull mug!) It's sweet like all of us here on TC, superduper easy to make and order in ANY bar (they all have Creme de Almond and Captain!) To sour it up you may add a dash of sweet & sour or lime but how listed it tastes like cotton candy. mmmmmmmmm!

Try one today!

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-28 12:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Trader Woody wrote:
Well, this one's off the top of my head. Untried, unproven, but gets the basic idea from a Golden Colada.

2 oz dark rum
1 oz Amaretto
1 oz Pineapple Juice
1 OZ Orange Juice
Couple splashes of Lime juice

Serve over crushed ice.

Trader Woody

Ok, I've tried this out and it seems to work. I used Appleton Estate VX for the rum, Disaronno for the ameretto, and the usual juices. Those who like a sweet drink, lessen your grip on the fresh lime. For those who like it sharp, please tighten your grip. I'd go for normal ice rather than crushed, and for those who want to see pink elephants sooner than later could do worse than to add an ounce of decent brandy.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-28 12:28 pm   Permalink

[quote]
[i]On 2003-03-28 09:06, laney wrote: My friend and I used to joke that, if certain things tasted like this we'd walk on our knees!
Laney, I haven't a kahlua what you mean.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-28 3:06 pm   Permalink

Okay, The response has been great but I've extended the deadline until Monday the 31st to give people one more weekend to try their hand at creating a concoction!

Looking forward to the judging!

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-28 3:15 pm   Permalink

Hanford, do we have to ensure that it fits in a Shecky?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-28 3:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-03-26 23:17, thejab wrote:
After much trial and error, and a few hangovers later, here's my entry:

wait a sec!!! can a judge submit entries?

[ This Message was edited by: Futura Girl on 2003-03-28 15:38 ]

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-28 4:43 pm   Permalink

TheJab is a fine, upstanding member of Tiki Central and he's just one of the judges, and we're going to score them with a score card and everything, so I'm confindent he'll be impartial.

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
inkylouise

Posted: 2003-03-28 5:32 pm   Permalink

OPPPSSS....

I just realized I forgot to put the pineapple juice in the reciepe for the "T.C.T"(Tiki Central Tonic)
Oh gosh! We were a bit out of it after trying so many mixes! Hic!

View Profile of inkylouise Send a personal message to inkylouise      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-29 01:47 am   Permalink

The Cannibal sounds terrifying, and I want one.

Generally, however...I am tired of pineapple juice, bananas have strange associations for me, and grapefruit makes my stomach very angry.

This, plus I am not by any stretch of the imagination any kind of mixologist by practice or experience; in fact, I only started drinking (alcohol) in my thirties.

Having issued all these fricking disclaimers, I was cleaning out the bar tonight and decided to play around.

Now I'm sure this is probably the recipe for 12,000 fine, well established drinks that I in my massive ignorance have never encountered, but, well, it tasted good.

Mind you, my measurements are peculiar. But they are in English at least.

Okay.

1 shot white rum. The stronger the better. Being an ignoramus, I say whatever you like, use it. Bacardi, whatever.

2 shots FRESH Tangerine Juice. I used Odwalla. I worship that stuff. You could, in a pinch, use oj, but then it would be a different drink.

1 teaspoon lime juice. Fresh, or Rose's. Whatever you've got on hand. If you are sober enough to go hunt up fresh limes, you have my blessing.

1 teaspoon Grand Marnier. Accept no substitutes.

dash grenadine. Not too much, ech. Shallow teaspoon at MOST.

dash bitters

Mix/shake/stir/whatever makes you happy with lots of ice.

Strain, pour over some cracked ice.

Float some DARK rum on top, yummm. I used Meyers.

You could garnish it with a cherry...what the hell. Oh, one last thought: I made a version with a teaspoon of brandy thrown in, less sweet, even stronger, very good. But this is fine.

I'll say one thing, it is efficient. I couldn't have written this sober.

This drink does need a faintly silly name, I suppose. Can't think of one at the moment. Tangeriki? Ow.

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-03-29 11:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-03-28 02:15, Trader_Rick wrote:
Alright, here is my recipe that is sure to lose because it contains Malbu Rum and does NOT contain anything fruity:

I love white russians and I have no problem with coconut anything. Sounds tasty to me. The drinks don't all have to contain fresh juice.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-03-29 11:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-03-28 16:43, hanford_lemoore wrote:
TheJab is a fine, upstanding member of Tiki Central and he's just one of the judges, and we're going to score them with a score card and everything, so I'm confindent he'll be impartial.

Thanks, Hanford. I consider myself a real drink snob but there are some great entries so far so I doubt I would pick mine as the winner.

I don't think I'll even be able to taste after a couple of these entries. Most of then are real hair raisers! In comparison my punch is fairly weak with just one jigger of rum, but one can always double the recipe (necessary if serving in a tiki mug).

Has anyone started trying any of the recipes at home? I think I will tonight! Where can I get Kava?

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation