FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Tiki Central's Official Drink contest: Deadline over!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
Tiki Central's Official Drink contest: Deadline over!
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-03-31 2:37 pm   Permalink

You are probably not going to find kava down at your corner story. Unless you know somebody that has some, it can be mail ordered from certain countries in the South Pacific, such as Fiji. I think there was a thread about it here a while back. Won't doyou much good for today, though. It will take at least a couple of weeks for mail order kava to get to you.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-31 4:01 pm   Permalink

Wheeeeeeeeee!!! Extended Deadline! Now I get to run home from work and get to work!
I've found Kava in a few Healthfood Stores around here. Haven't looked for it, though, since it became a bit controversial a while back...

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-31 10:07 pm   Permalink

Okee dokee. After mixing up a few more different things this evening I've decided that my original recipe is too tart for my taste (the wife prefers it that way but it's not her drink, so...). I, therefore, submit a new and, I hope, improved version.

1.5 oz. Dark Rum
1.5 oz. Añejo Rum
1 oz. Coconut Cream
2 oz. Pineapple Juice
1 oz. Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
1 cup Crushed Ice

Blend well. Pour into Tiki Mug. Garnish with Orange Slice, Pineapple Cube and Maraschino Cherry.

I deleted the Orange Bitters because it has come to my attention that those are difficult to come by in many locales.

I've tried several of the others (some more than once, now) and ALL are wonderful so far!

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-02 02:09 am   Permalink

Okay, the deadline is over! Thanks for all the submissions. Thanks to all who submitted a Recipe! Now... when and where to judge?

I would suggest trying to commandeer a bar in SF to help out with the creation of the drinks, but then again it may go better if we did it at someone's house. Dean, what's your vote?

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-04-02 12:27 pm   Permalink

Methinks it would be better to do it at someone's house because a bar may not have all the ingredients and skilled bartenders. Plus, it will cost less if we assemble a list of main ingredients (like citrus and juices) and go buy them ourselves. For minor ingredients (like orange bitters) it would work to either have it at someone's place who has such ingredients, or have people bring what ingredients they have on hand to the judging.

Another idea is to have each judge be responsible for 2 or 3 entries. The judge brings (and buys if necessary) the ingredients and is in charge of making the drinks assigned to them. So it's fair we can save receipts for purchases and share costs. It shouldn't be much money if we avoid using expensive rums.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-04-02 1:05 pm   Permalink

I know the judges can be impartal but everyone has different tastes. Ideally we should have a number of people judge the drinks. It would be fun to have a tasting event at Oasis. Those who are going can make a pitcher of their drinks and hand out small shot sized tasters for people to vote on (label them A,B,C, etc.) This also avoids one or two people from the need to buy 30 different bottles of booze.

We could have sub categories like best color, name, knock-you-on-your-ass, good for sweet-toothed/sour-puss, and an over all winner.

I think this could be a fun event! I've never been to Oasis so I don't know how many non TCers attend. I don't know if I'll go this year but we could even keep judging to TC members only (this should get us some new blood anyway)
Just an idea, Laney

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2003-04-02 6:54 pm   Permalink

KAVA info---Dean, and other San francisco Bay Area folk--you MIGHT be able to get Kava at a Pacific Islanders store in San Leandro--I think it it called Mangel's. It is in an old Grand Auto building on E.14th next to the Hospice Thrift Shop. (from 580 take the Estudillo eixt to E14th, turn left and go a couple blocks). The reason why I say "might" is they had a Kava box there, although I didn't notice any Kava around.

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-04 3:59 pm   Permalink

What ever happened to this thread?
Was the judging ever held?

I was looking forward to seeing who/what won when I came back from the coast.

Here's a late anti-entry; something I mixed up by accident while in Vallejo last week.

I figure this thread is the best place to post it (simply for posterity and for no other reason, except perhaps as a warning), but please don't consider it suitable for competition, as it was completely improvised, while drunk, and although it looks good 'on paper'... well...

James Mistake

Serve it to your guests when you want them to leave.

2 oz meyers rum
2 oz bacardi
6 oz pineapple juice
1 oz creme de minthe
1 oz orgeat
1 oz lime juice
1 oz some other liquor (probably rum) that I forgot.

Shake all and pour into those ubiquitous lame Harvey’s tumbler mugs over ineffectively crushed ice. Serves two, but neither of them will finish it.

Do not try this at home, or anywhere else.

See www.tydirium.net for Tiki Road Trip, global travelogues, and more!

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-04 7:12 pm   Permalink

Yeah, at first glance "on paper", it doesn't look so bad, but I'm guessing it was the creme de menthe was the fly in that ointment. Or was that last liquor you "forgot" maybe something like ouzo or green chartreuse? THAT would be pretty heinous!

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-05-04 7:24 pm   Permalink

We're going to do the judging at the end of the month. It's all arranged. We wanted to wait until a lot of the festivites (Mondo and Oasis) before attempting the judging. We'll keep ya posted!

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299

Posted: 2003-05-04 9:25 pm   Permalink

Hanford:
Is there a set place for the judging already? If you need a place, I will gladly volunteer my 2 bdr suburban condo. I have a full bar, and the whole living room is a tiki bar. Also, wouldn't mind having you experts tasting my fine infused rum (aka "hawaiian hooch"). Have not lived until tasted a home-infused rum-tini. Tiki-licious!
Jen

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-06-17 8:31 pm   Permalink

No pressure. Just wondering if we have an official Tiki Central Drink yet.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-04 11:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-06-17 20:31, mrtikibar wrote:
No pressure. Just wondering if we have an official Tiki Central Drink yet.

Still pending?

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-08-04 12:29 pm   Permalink

Soon....soooon....it's coming. Fear not.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation