FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki How can I get the stopper back in the Jim Beam Tiki decanter?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
How can I get the stopper back in the Jim Beam Tiki decanter?
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-22 12:39 am   Permalink

I just bought this 1974 United Airlines Jim Beam decanter. It was designed for the Hawaiian Open golf tournament and I love it. But I can't get the golf ball stopper back in it. I am concerned that the neck of the opening will break if I push too hard. The stopper is also porcelain with a plastic cover where it enters the decanter. Has anyone else faced this? (yea, yea I know, someone is going to say buy a cork stopper it will look better. I would occasionally like to put back to the way it was originally so I would love some help).

View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-22 08:57 am   Permalink

Interestingly, I recently acquired a 1964 Jim Beam "I Dream of Jeannie" decanter that had similar issue. I'd also be interested in a solution.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-22 09:12 am   Permalink

try soaking in hot water until it becomes more mailable.

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-22 12:19 pm   Permalink

Definitely need to soak the cork.

Ovarian Cancer Research

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-22 12:52 pm   Permalink

Yes. You need a good cork soaking. Used to be a union of them as a trade and they would have a big convention in San Francisco every year, along with the Maternity Garment Workers Union. Biggest bunch of cork soakers and mother frockers you ever saw.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-22 3:32 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Haole'akamai 2008-10-23 08:53 ]

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Zen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-23 06:31 am   Permalink

Hmmm - I don't know if soaking a plastic-coated ceramic stopper will do much. What about putting the stopper in the freezer? Might make it shrink a bit.

View Profile of Tiki Zen Send a personal message to Tiki Zen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-23 11:56 am   Permalink

Ayayay, what a predicament! I just checked my bottle to see if you could whittle off some plastic from the cork, but no, that is solid, hard material! Boiling it in water to make it pliable and then pushing it in? I dunno...
But thank you, I just now realized that my bottle is almost full still, I am gonna give it a taste test later on!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoccerTiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-23 12:09 pm   Permalink

The biggest problem I see with putting the cork stopper back in is that you have to quit drinking from it!!!

"Marriage, Mortgages, Market Places and Mai-Tai's...Whatta life

View Profile of SoccerTiki Send a personal message to SoccerTiki  Email SoccerTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKI DAVID
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-23 1:21 pm   Permalink

i never said "boiling" i said "hot"

View Profile of TIKI DAVID Send a personal message to TIKI DAVID  Email TIKI DAVID     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ron-tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-10-23 2:37 pm   Permalink

a little crisco shortening or sand paper it.

View Profile of ron-tiki Send a personal message to ron-tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Trav
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-23 6:36 pm   Permalink

A Big F#*&ing Hammer
(no liability taken for outcome)

View Profile of Tiki Trav Send a personal message to Tiki Trav  Email Tiki Trav     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-23 7:14 pm   Permalink

Put the stopper in the freezer and run hot water over the top, then see if they don't fit right together.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-23 7:24 pm   Permalink

Try dipping it in cider

The Curse of Howland Island

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-24 01:12 am   Permalink

Yeah, cider is enough to make any thing PUCKER UP. AHH DAMN IT ALL TO HELL, THERE I GO AGAIN BEING THAT CLASS CLOWN THAT BENZ KEEPS TELLING ME ABOUT.. Happy is good..

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation