FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Collecting Tiki Ľ Ľ Don the Beachcomber - The Locations (Updated 11-22-10)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
Don the Beachcomber - The Locations (Updated 11-22-10)
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-26 3:12 pm   Permalink

this is cool!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-26 9:51 pm   Permalink

That is interesting indeed, looks like maybe they were taking over after The Trade Winds failed? I dimly remember going to a Don The Beachcomber in Malibu in the 80s, when I knew nothing about Tiki. In retrospect I always wondered if that was at the site of the old Tonga Lei...

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-26 10:04 pm   Permalink

Bigbro,

Right on both accounts.

From Critiki - Malibu:

Before becoming a Don the Beachcomber (probably sometime in the '70s), this location was Tonga Lei. It closed sometime during the '80s, and this location is now the non-tiki Malibu Beach Inn.

From Critiki - Oxnard:

This Don the Beachcomber opened at the former Trade Winds; it likely operated for a few years in the late '70s. In later years, this location briefly became Coconut Joe's Warehouse and Hawaiian Cowboy, and the building was demolished in 1984.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-27 11:56 am   Permalink

Thanks Zulu, I picked up a nice Harbor Island brochure/booklet circa 1973 and they make no mention of a Don the Beachcombers and it lists every little shop on the Island. The purpose of it was to show you how swinging the area was thus it is confusing there isnít a Don's listed?

Arriano do you have some new documentation for the Vacation Village Don the Beachcomber? I think there was a thread about this somewhere here?

Bosko

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-27 1:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-27 11:56, TIKIBOSKO wrote:
Arriano do you have some new documentation for the Vacation Village Don the Beachcomber? I think there was a thread about this somewhere here?

No new info, but here's the earlier thread:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=23742&forum=1

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-27 1:41 pm   Permalink

This menu was from the Palm Springs location...

The food and drink menu insert is dated 09-64.

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-27 5:35 pm   Permalink

Arriano,

Thanks so much for your post. I have added the second San Diego Don the Beachcombers on Vacation Island to my list, bringing the total number of locations to 23. I also added a matchbook that was on the previous thread. Do you happen to still have the library picture of the Harbor Island restaurant?

PTD,

Thanks also for the menu post. What is that Zombie card on top of the menu? Is that a postcard or a drink recipe card?

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-10-27 6:21 pm   Permalink

Besides the Hong Kong Lady Donn also had the Singapore Lady ~

It Counts!

or it should...

kinda.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-27 7:36 pm   Permalink

Well, Donn had a couple of projects that he dabbled in later in his life that were not "Don The Beachcombers". I think that's another thread.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-28 07:42 am   Permalink

Dustycajun,

The Zombie drink card is stapled to the menu. I think it probably sat on a table. The inside of the card has a Don The Beachcomber story of Rum.

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-28 11:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-27 18:21, Bora Boris wrote:
Besides the Hong Kong Lady Donn also had the Singapore Lady ~

It Counts!

or it should...

kinda.

Bora Boris.

If that counts that this should as well! Donn's boat The Marama from Tahiti. That Donn knew how to live!

Actually, I think Bigbro is right and this should be the subject of another post.

DC

Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-10-28 12:03 pm   Permalink

Well Dusty Cajun considering it's your thread I think we should do as you wish.

Sorry for the interruption but at least it gave everyone a nice opportunity to show some of Donn's boats.

Were there ever any stories in Architectural Digest or any magazine like that on any of his homes?

We could show the homes and boats in the next thread.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-28 12:13 pm   Permalink

I briefly covered this in my San Diego Tiki talk at the 07 Oasis, there was never a Don the Beachcomber at Vacation Village. Iíve spoken to several old timers who used to go there in the 60ís and they say there was (always) the Barefoot bar and a steak house/small bar but no Donís. If you look at Svenís list on page one of this thread there is no mention of a San Diego location until the 1970 (Harbor Island) so if there had been one here in the 60ís why not list it? Also if there was another restaurant at Vacation Village which building could have housed it?
The only piece of evidence (of a Donís at that location) that I have seen is the ONE matchbook that mentions it, but I have another ten match covers from there that donít.

Unless there is some new compelling evidence which I would be happy to acknowledge, this was just a mistake that got perpetuated up until now.

Bosko

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-28 12:58 pm   Permalink

The mysterious Vacation Village might have just been a project that got never realized.

Sweet Jesus DC, WHERE did you get those Marama photos, do you own them? Me wanna use for boook! Strange how the name "Marama" is blocked out to spell "Karma", Don's must have been not so good then considering both of his Hong Kong riverboat restaurants sank.

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-28 7:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-28 12:58, bigbrotiki wrote:

Sweet Jesus DC, WHERE did you get those Marama photos, do you own them?

Bigbro,

Those are great shots, eh! I found them at the same place I found these great photos of the original Don the Beachcomber in Hollywood with Donn mixing drinks. Unfortunately, they are not mine. Did you say Book?

DC

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation