FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Don the Beachcomber - The Locations (Updated 11-22-10)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
Don the Beachcomber - The Locations (Updated 11-22-10)
kiara
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-14 12:44 pm   Permalink

what a great photo. Here's another Dons Waikiki image. was this the same building as the last two photos?

View Profile of kiara Send a personal message to kiara  Email kiara     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-15 11:59 am   Permalink

Aloha,

Quote:

On 2012-10-14 12:44, kiara wrote:
what a great photo. Here's another Dons Waikiki image. was this the same building as the last two photos?

No the previous photos were (about a block away from what would become the International Market Place, where Macy's and previously Liberty house was built) in Donn's three hut domain until 1958ish...

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-05 07:45 am   Permalink

Just won this menu on eBay - looks to be pretty late (1990's?), based on the prices.

And the back lists quite a few locations that I don't think have been documented yet... I see:

Keauhou, Kona Hawaii - Keauhou Beach Hotel
Peoria, Illinois
Excelsior, Minnesota (or is this the same as the St. Paul location?)
Memphis, Tennessee
Kendall, Miami, Florida

Enjoy,
Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-05 10:22 am   Permalink

That's quite a find. I wonder, though, if those last three ever opened. And I can't read it on the menu - what hotel in West Lafayette was DtB at?

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-05 11:14 am   Permalink

I'm still waiting for the seller to ship it to me, but it looks like it says the West Lafayette location was at the Sheraton Hotel.

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-05 1:07 pm   Permalink

By the way, I'd say early 1980s rather than 1990s. The one at the Cosmopolitan was there from '79-'82, and the Aurora location opened in '81 so I'd say that places this menu squarely in the years 1981-82.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-06 09:21 am   Permalink

aloha,
Quote:

On 2012-11-05 07:45, Trad'r Bill wrote:

And the back lists quite a few locations that I don't think have been documented yet... I see:

Keauhou, Kona Hawaii - Keauhou Beach Hotel

Hmmm... Don't think that one ever opened... But I will go to the library...

When you get it, please let me know if you see the "AMFAC Corporation" anywhere on it.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-09 12:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Here's another Dons Waikiki image.

Kiara,

That is a great photo. I have never seen that Don the Beachcomber building before. I am a little confused as to which one it is.

There was the original facility designed by Wimberly with the three grass huts,

Then the second place seen in the postcard that became Dukes. Is this the same building as Kiara's photo?

Then the third place was the Colonels Plantation,

This is not the same location as shown in Kiara's photo

Then the last spot in the Beachcomber Hotel.

So is this a 5th location within the International Market Place area?

Maybe Phillip Roberts could elaborate some more info on this.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-09 3:02 pm   Permalink

and who is Samson?

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-09 5:21 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Quote:

On 2012-11-09 12:23, Dustycajun wrote:

DC

I don't think this bottom location was a separate shop. The two images seem to be of the same place at the Beachcomber Hotel. Look at the doors... Look at the same design above the door... Look carefully at the placement of other images... They seem to match up well.

By this time, the AMFAC Corporation was running both the Oahu and Maui (1972) locations... One can extrapolate that Samson was the interior designer hired by them.

Kiara's picture is the Third restaurant at the Kalakaua/Ewa End of the Market Place. Also the location of the Colonel's Plantation (upstairs with the Dagger Bar) note the Brownlee gable... Standing there now is the Quicksilver shop..,

[ This Message was edited by: phillip roberts 2012-11-09 18:29 ]

kiara
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-09 7:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-11-09 12:23, Dustycajun wrote:
Quote:

Here's another Dons Waikiki image.

Kiara,

That is a great photo. I have never seen that Don the Beachcomber building before. I am a little confused as to which one it is.

There was the original facility designed by Wimberly with the three grass huts,

Then the second place seen in the postcard that became Dukes. Is this the same building as Kiara's photo?

Then the third place was the Colonels Plantation,

This is not the same location as shown in Kiara's photo

So is this a 5th location within the International Market Place area?

DC

Thanks DC and thanks for the info Phillip. I didn't know there was a location where the quicksilver shop is now.
The last time I was on Oahu, I took photo's of the I.N.M.P. location. Or what's left. This photo is a little busy but you can still see a couple of artifacts from the above photo.

Look closer to see the tiki.

And does anyone remember this? I think the whole wall is gone. That's my wife in the foreground.

View Profile of kiara Send a personal message to kiara  Email kiara     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kiara
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-09 7:26 pm   Permalink

I know that there's a photo of this wall in Waikiki Tiki.

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-09 8:10 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Quote:

On 2012-11-09 19:26, kiara wrote:
I know that there's a photo of this wall in Waikiki Tiki.

Great shots. Mahalo!! I always enjoy seeing different angles and times.

My shots of the wall always have vendors in it. the shot in Waikiki Tiki was taken from the parrot walk bridge toward the shell of the Trader Vic's treehouse. below it was Captain Zacks, the former Tiki broiler.

It was made of some kind of light weight material. It showed up in pieces for a while on Craigslist in Hawaii offered from a certain unscrupulous character who shall remain nameless.

And the Moai. For a while they were surrounded by a coffee cup dislpay.

In their last known location, 660 Ahua Street!

Drop a pin on that map feature if you want to see them.

kiara
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-09 9:40 pm   Permalink

Wow, so those Tikis are gone now too. Is the International Marketplace going to be there much longer? I hate to get off of the Donn's topic of this thread, but here's a cool angle of the Brownlee entrance tiki/sign I took about 10 yrs. ago.

Have you heard anything about a smaller place just north of The I.N.M.P. called something like, South Sea village?

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-11-10 12:08 am   Permalink

aloha,

DING DING DING!!!

AND!!! LADIES an GENLTLEMEN!!

there it s folks. Game over! Best tourist shot EVER. It's really quite something. Amazing angle and great color.
Do you have a date of that vacation?

These Brownlee Sculptures represent Hawaii's Image to the world in the MID CENTURY and the advent of the Tiki Age in Hawaii.

Incredible. Mahalo Nui Loa.

"Ulu mau village" is where those other pictures should go. use search. There were two. cant wait

Quote:

On 2012-11-09 21:40, kiara wrote:
Wow, so those Tikis are gone now too. Is the International Marketplace going to be there much longer? I hate to get off of the Donn's topic of this thread, but here's a cool angle of the Brownlee entrance tiki/sign I took about 10 yrs. ago.

Have you heard anything about a smaller place just north of The I.N.M.P. called something like, South Sea village?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation