FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts THOR's Experiments in black velvet.. "Molten Moai" FINISHED! page 4
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
THOR's Experiments in black velvet.. "Molten Moai" FINISHED! page 4
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-29 6:59 pm   Permalink

master work!

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LOL Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-29 8:42 pm   Permalink

Beautiful work!

View Profile of LOL Tiki Send a personal message to LOL Tiki  Email LOL Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-29 11:59 pm   Permalink

Boy Tom, is there anything you can't do?

These are great! It doesn't even look like a new medium for you... looks like you've been doing them all along.

Keep up the good work! Look forward to seeing the new pieces!

I wish I could paint... I have to settle for carving wood.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 04:23 am   Permalink

Yea!!!

Can't wait to see the shrunken head!!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 07:12 am   Permalink

Hi Tom -

Looks wicked cool man, can't wait to see Thor shrunken head velvets too!

In my minds eye I can picture a Thor style jungle scene; huge boiling kettle over a log fire, thatched huts, prisoners hanging upside down suspended from vine traps, savage natives dancing under moonlight etc...I know you already have thought of this before I have

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 08:02 am   Permalink

HAaaaa Tiki G!

You just described my studio!! I gotta push the envelope a wee more man..otherwise it would just feel like home!

Oh, Ya forgot the scantily clad Tahitian virgins that have bartender licenses and keep my brushes clean.

[ This Message was edited by: THOR's 2008-10-31 18:33 ]

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 08:09 am   Permalink

Quote:
Oh, Ya forgot the scantily clad tahitian virgins that have bartender licensees and keep my brushes clean.

What Art Supply Store stocks those?

You're totally in the groove!
The candle/Skull study is a piece of art in itself!
It's gonna be mind-blowing once you throw
ALL of your technical finesse and knowledge!
Can't Wait!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 08:37 am   Permalink

that skull and candle are a beauty. reminds me a lot of old aurora model kit model cover art.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 12:48 pm   Permalink

Thanks Lil' Lost!! OceaOtica..That's one of the best complements I could have! I had a painting instructor at Art Center named Jack Lynwood. He was one of the main illustrators for the boxes of the Aurora models and he was incredible. He used to teach about knowing light and color and perspective out of the head..with nothing to look at at times. He would get a platic model and have to make it look like it was a real thing in a real setting...with all the drama and lighting invented. He also had a saying that relates to velvet in this case more than ever. He used to say...The sign of a great painter is that they can look at something or imagine something and understand that what seperates an amature from a pro is not WHAT to paint...but what NOT to paint in a subject. The viewers eye fills in things more than we realize if you hit the right notes and punches...even if loose. Velvet cries for this..the more black, raw velvet exposed in the shadows and negative areas..the fresher and more impacting the image becomes I am discovering.

Happy Halloween!

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 2:58 pm   Permalink

Thor, frickin cool painting teacher to have! ya, if you look at that box art, specially the kits they had that were like extra parts kits, you know the old tree with the skull and the vulture and such, those covers looked like velvets. really works of art, really great stuff. i think you really tapped into something here. gives me new thoughts on my experiments with velvet painting. right on, look forward to seeing more of your work.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-31 02:49 am   Permalink

Wow man, thats just awesome work! Love reading your thoughts and insights into your art, as well as your art itself too mate!

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sirginn
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-10-31 08:19 am   Permalink

Amazing, you just keep getting better and better

View Profile of sirginn Send a personal message to sirginn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-31 5:58 pm   Permalink

Well.. I did this fella into the wee hours last night .... I have learned a LOT and will improve the next shrunken head.... Happy Halloween!

These are not the best photos...the background is much more subtle...

The feeling here is a head on a stake...lit from a nearby fire and the moonlight at it's back....sort of a magik night....

~~T

Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-01 04:18 am   Permalink

Amazing work!

"Show us what you got at the THOR STOR, sweetie."

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-01 8:53 pm   Permalink

Brad!! You are a hoot!! lol Thanks! I will be in Maui from the 9th of Dec. till the 12th..then in Waikiki from then till the 21st I think..doing signings at teh various galleries including the Thor Gallery. If you are over at that time..lemme know! Your newest piece is looking awesome by the way!!!

Warm Aloha's!!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation