FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts THOR's Experiments in black velvet.. "Molten Moai" FINISHED! page 4
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
THOR's Experiments in black velvet.. "Molten Moai" FINISHED! page 4
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-03 07:21 am   Permalink

The skull is major fun! Again, your technique comes through, which is a definite good thing.

I've told people what kind of velvet I use...are you game also?

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Howland
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-03 07:36 am   Permalink

Shrunken head is waaaaay too cool!

View Profile of Howland Send a personal message to Howland  Email Howland     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-03 07:45 am   Permalink

Aloha Robb!

Thanks for the feedback...I am glad my style comes through... I think what would be great is if we could get a group of artists to do a show soon and it be all about velvet painting. It would be simply magic to see all the styles come through this medium.

I am not velvet educated yet as far as the best velvet to use. However, I have three velvets I have tried. One turn out to be velveteen and I don't use that anymore. The latest is what you recommended, actually. I went downtown to the fabric district in LA and asked for upholstery velvet. I found a bolt of it in a place that specialized in scraps of fabric from furniture makers left overs. I also ordered a sample from the guy you recommended and it looks and feels absolutely identical. Tests on it with paint proved same.

Can't wait to see more of your gems too!! I feel like I have acquired a brother in Velvet here!! Viva La Velveteers!!! One thing for sure I am discovering is that being a Velveteer requires a lot of patience!! lol Keep up the magic, Robb.

~~Tom

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Robb Hamel
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-03 07:58 am   Permalink

Tom, I think getting us Velveteers together is a GREAT idea. I'd like to avoid an atmosphere of competition and instead create an atmoshere of inspiration.

It would be easy to see each of us grabbing for a piece of the velvet pie, but there isn't really a velvet pie right now, I find. We might just be able to build momentum we all can benefit from by creating a new, improved velvet movement.

Let's go for it!

www.robbhamel.com

View Profile of Robb Hamel Send a personal message to Robb Hamel  Goto the website of Robb Hamel     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-03 2:57 pm   Permalink

We are SOOOO on the same page!!! I am all about learning from each other and celebrating the styles and beauty and darkness and mystery of this lost medium. I am also wanting to introduce this to the Gallery in Hawaii and I will be honest, they are a little nervous!! lol We need to reintroduce the reputation of this and open up the minds of people as to black velvet paintings.

The days of pink panthers, matadore's and poorly painted Elvis' or is it ("Elvi") are gone. Leeteg was one of the pioneers showing how the medium could be brought to new levels. Let's try to carry the torch a bit here and see where it goes with some of us newer artists.

Can you imagine what an incredible show could be done if we had 3-5 velvet artists exhibit?? The show would be dark and rich..mysterious and sensual.... Makes me want to go out and buy a vintage velvet Jacket and duke it up good!!

Anyways..I am getting too into this and need to take a chill pill.

Thanks again, Robb...I still say you are the Velvis of the Velveteers!!

~~

[ This Message was edited by: THOR's 2008-11-03 14:59 ]

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki beat by marcus thorn
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-03 4:01 pm   Permalink

shrunken head is awsome keep up the good work

View Profile of tiki beat by marcus thorn Send a personal message to tiki beat by marcus thorn  Email tiki beat by marcus thorn Goto the website of tiki beat by marcus thorn     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-07 2:19 pm   Permalink

This is in progress...about 60% done. I will paint a phosphorus waterfall lightly in the upper right that is mixing with the lava to make the steam... I'm letting this stage dry a few days and then going in for more punch and refinement. I find certain colors are more suitable for velvet...but am learning more every painting. Everyone needs to try this!! It's loads of fun! Aloha!

Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-07 4:18 pm   Permalink

What a lava-ly painting!
Sorry.

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigToe
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-07 4:21 pm   Permalink

this is HOT.

ouch...sorry.

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-07 6:56 pm   Permalink

My goodness...I better not encourage these guys! lol! Somthin' about Lava goes straight to the coco! LOL!

GROG
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-11-08 10:52 pm   Permalink

Killer velvets Thorsky!

View Profile of GROG Send a personal message to GROG      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hewey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-09 07:12 am   Permalink

Looks great mate, Im loving this thread! Just one comment, are you doing some 'glow' on the tree branch, looks like she needs some colour, given how much glow the moai is geting.

View Profile of hewey Send a personal message to hewey  Email hewey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-09 07:49 am   Permalink

THANKS Grog and Hewey!

Good eye Hewey!! Yes, I plan to do rim lighting on the branch and the foreground rock ledge. It will make more sense when I put in the phosphorescent waterfall in the background and render the steam more. Anyways...again, you have a great sense of light. I bet it was all those early pastel drawings I recall you experimenting with a few years back!!

The ideas for velvet are rolling around in my head like mad..although I need to keep these under control since I have a lot of other canvas paintings I need to hammer out here.

Have a great week !

Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-09 5:44 pm   Permalink

I'm glad you decided to move on over to the "velvet underground" I remember talking to you about velvets at Oasis and of course your art is just crazy Good as always Tom. What happens Tom, Robb, Heather? when you paint on the "Dress makers" quality velvet like we see so often in the Mexican Velvets of the 1960's-1970's? I love that look it has a sheen to that I'm attracted to....

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-09 6:10 pm   Permalink

Great look to the lava. I can almost feel the heat.

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation