FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Other Crafts THOR's Experiments in black velvet.. "Molten Moai" FINISHED! page 4
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
THOR's Experiments in black velvet.. "Molten Moai" FINISHED! page 4
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-27 12:10 pm   Permalink

smokin!

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZeroTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-27 12:57 pm   Permalink

These are AMAZING!! Great work! Looks like you found a medium that lends a lot of feel to your work...keep it up!
Also, I'm curious...where does a potential black velveteer find said material?

[ This Message was edited by: ZeroTiki 2009-02-27 22:24 ]

View Profile of ZeroTiki Send a personal message to ZeroTiki  Email ZeroTiki Goto the website of ZeroTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-01 10:57 am   Permalink

ALOHA BENZ!!!

Thanks for your comments!! I need to get back to some velvet painting soon!!! I have had so many projects on my plate it has been ridiculous. Lot's of new and exciting ventures I will announce before long. Business is BOOMING..Tiki is growing in popularity like wild fire.

I have LOTS of new idea for velvets. I will have to get onto them!! I miss the lurer of the velour!!!! Hope to see you at Hukilau!! I am not certain..but hope to have slotted out some time to attend.

Take care my friend!!

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-01 6:31 pm   Permalink

I was just in your Waikiki Gallery and actually got to see the skull velvet and WOW...!!! I can't believe it's still available. As soon as this economy picks up and if it has not been snatched up I hope to make it my THOR original #4. Keep up the great work...

View Profile of KuKu Send a personal message to KuKu  Email KuKu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-02 10:24 am   Permalink

Aloha Ku Ku!

The skull IS available. It is in my Gallery in Waikiki. The reason it's still available is, from what the sales people tell me, the "subject matter". Most of those going in the gallery now days are serious buyers but tend to buy the more "whimsical" pieces. "Molten Moai" sold fairly fast, was on the "dark side" but not as dark as things like skulls and shrunken heads. No rush for them to sell though. I knew those would take the right buyer coming in before it was sold to the right "home" lol!

I will be back in Waikiki the 13th of March. I will be doing a number of shows/signings...I just missed you!! Stay healthy and full of Tiki magic Ku Ku!!

[ This Message was edited by: THOR's 2009-03-02 20:13 ]

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki moon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-03-15 2:50 pm   Permalink

Those are really great.

My only comment would be that for me your darks could be a little darker.

You said in one post, Thor, that the painting went fast because so much of the black velvet remained untouched, and in another post you said that the background was more subtle in person, so I guess it's on the digital image side that the blacks are getting a little elevated.

View Profile of tiki moon Send a personal message to tiki moon  Goto the website of tiki moon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-19 11:05 pm   Permalink

You said it Tiki Moon!!

As any artist knows who has painted in velvet and tried to photograph it...it is almost impossible to do justice to the physical properties that you see when a piece is seen in "person". The darks ARE VERY dark..in the actual painting..and in that rich darkness..are subtle accents.

It's a really magical medium. In scientific terms, any matte black surface..velvet included absorbs a light source. Paint, reflects a light source and you get the illusion of light originating from the painting. Velvet is absence of light..paint..is a reflector...and in the form of varying colors and values. You can only see this in an original when we talk black velvet. Photos lie...and do NO justice. Try painting with this medium!! IT'S A BLAST.....AND very EXOTIC NO MATTER WHAT!!

Tiki Shark Art
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-19 11:37 pm   Permalink

I had the great pleasure of seeing the original black Velvet Skull painting in the Thor Stor in Waikiki, and it's amazing. The blacks are beyond black. The velvet is pitch, lightness, bottomless, black. The skull pulls out so much from the background that it has a three dimensional effect. When you walk into the side room in the gallery where it hangs, you are slightly jolted by it's intensity. Sure, the average Waikiki tourist might be a bit freaked by seeing this gorgeous icon of macabre perfection. However, if it was hanging in a shop in Disneyland situated near the Haunted Mansion Ride, it'd be sold before you could say: "Bats Day*"!

*Bats Day. Google it.

View Profile of Tiki Shark Art Send a personal message to Tiki Shark Art  Email Tiki Shark Art Goto the website of Tiki Shark Art     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-20 1:25 pm   Permalink

BRAD!!!

When were you in Waikiki??? I would have given the tip of my best brush to hang with you?? (side note..most of my brushes are seriously pu pu'ed out by rum painting...but i DO have a few left!!). Thanks for the wonderful feedback...especially coming from such a master of tikificational splendor. I will be on Oahu most of this coming summer and year...so please let me know when you are on Oahu. Also..do you have a hammock(not a banana hammock like Grog wears for velvet painting modeling)in your place on the big Isle?? I need a break man!!!

KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-01 05:55 am   Permalink

Thor -- PLEASE say that you studied photos of real lava flows in doing your 'Molten Moai'!

Or that at LEAST you've SEEN sooooo many of the actual thing that the images are seared into your consciousness!

Cuz you got just too darn good just too darn quick on that velvet!

And I really dig your idea of forming a velvet painting group to learn from and inspire each other! But, with my luck, it'd probably be nowhere NEAR Los Angeles! Or were you referring to an ONLINE group? THEN you might REALLY be talkin'!

Anyway, your talents continue to take my breath away! MORE velvets, man! MORE VELVETS!!!

Cheers

[ This Message was edited by: KreepyTiki 2009-04-01 05:56 ]

View Profile of KreepyTiki Send a personal message to KreepyTiki  Email KreepyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-07 3:08 pm   Permalink

I too had the great pleasure of seeing the original black Velvet Skull painting in the Thor Stor in Waikiki, and also thought it was amazing.

Bad pic of me but great one of your work. Skull looks to have more blue in it then your picture. I got a demo of the light being dimmed on it and it was awesome. It was the only spot of light in the room.

[ This Message was edited by: teaKEY 2009-04-07 18:04 ]

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-10 9:59 pm   Permalink

HEY TEAKEY!! So glad you liked the skull! I need to bring those to LA..cus most people in Waikik are just too freaked out by it!!

~~~T

Sam Gambino
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-04-13 1:02 pm   Permalink

Excellent mood and lighting in that piece!

View Profile of Sam Gambino Send a personal message to Sam Gambino  Email Sam Gambino Goto the website of Sam Gambino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation