FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Locating Tiki Ľ Ľ Frankie's TIKI Room ...Las Vegas
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
Frankie's TIKI Room ...Las Vegas
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-07 8:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-07 18:27, Dustycajun wrote:
Frankies, the Sustainable Tiki Bar!

Re-Use Recycle.

DC

Keppin' Tiki Alive DC!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
http://www.facebook.com/bambooben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-19 5:32 pm   Permalink

The Feb 2013 edition of Sunset magazine has an article about Las Vegas embracing what's left of it's past. It has a short write-up about Frankie's "because it's time to say no to Red Bull and Vodka"

"Frankie's Tiki Room - When you walk into this bar you'll think, Whoa, it's dark in here, and take off your glasses. Nothing will happen. Once you grow accustomed to the permanent twilight, you'll discover you're amid thatch, bamboo, woven grass panels, and carved tiki heads. You're drinking: The Lava Letch, with a lush raspberry taste that tangos nicely with ginger beer, a combo that extinguishes the late afternoon exhaustion."

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-25 9:22 pm   Permalink

Ok mike
So get in that 1 of a kind tiki travel machine you made
And get yo ars up here so I can buy you a three rum scum..

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-28 1:33 pm   Permalink

Will be in Vegas January 31st-February 2nd. Will be visiting Frankies and Tiki Lee's booth while I am there. Hope to see some local TCers while I am there!

Later,

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-02-19 8:14 pm   Permalink

Wayne Curtis' review of Frankie's Tiki Room.

http://slowcocktails.squarespace.com/dispatches/2012/12/10/field-trip-frankies-tiki-room-las-vegas.html

Frankieís donít give a shit.

Frankieís donít give a shit if you think itís too dark inside. Fuck you if you donít like the video poker embedded in the bartop. You donít like that they free pour when making drinks and donít use laboratory vessels to ensure consistency? Go back to fucking San Francisco. Donít like cigarette smoke? Frankieís donít give a shit. Go to Wendyís.

Frankieís is a neo-retro tiki bar that serves up great, postcard-worthy tiki cocktails, and does so in a place that has more of a crusty, neighborhood hangout sensibility than youíd expect in always-slick Las Vegas. Itís close enough to downtown and The Strip that it requires only a few minutes to get there, but itís far enough away to make it feel like an oasis (granted, an oasis at midnight), providing respite from the constant, conning hustle.
And that makes this pretty close to an authentic tiki bar, even though itís been tiki only since 2008. It feels like the 1950s here, complete with smoky haze, lack of preening, and a leave-it-at-the-door attitude. Itís also got a killer interior, designed by the grandson of the designer behind Walt Disneyís Enchanted Tiki Room.

I sipped a couple of tall drinks, including the Lava Letch served in one of the barís fine custom tiki mugs (ďcollectible designs by some of the world's top lowbrow artistsĒ). Iíll admit the drinks werenít perfect ó a bit too sweet for me, but not bad.

The sound track was distantly Hawaiian, accompanied, more proximately, by a raspy, smoke-tortured laugh. This laugh had character ó a long, leisurely roll of vexed amusement that dissolved into thorny rattles of a phlegmy staccato, which floated around the room for a long while, mingling with the cigarette smoke.

You donít like hearing a laugh that reminds you of emphysema? Frankieís donít give a shit. You donít like it, go to the Mandarin Oriental.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Gadfly

Posted: 2013-02-21 4:23 pm   Permalink

That's a pretty good review of Frankie's. Only problem, like most reviews is they only talk about one drink. And the Lava Letch is on the sweeter side. But there are 25 other original drinks now. They vary from sweet to strong. The best part about Frankie's is the current bartenders have designed the drinks themselves. That's one advantage of the place only being 4 years old. And they take pride in their work. As a Vegas local and a Frankie's regular I've learned which bartenders created which drinks. So I do have an advantage of knowing which drinks to order depending on who is serving them. When you can order a drink off the person who created it, it doesn't get any better than that. Either way, they have so many drinks now I would imagine everyone could find at least a few drinks they'd love. I tried the six new drinks last night. The Tonga Reefer and Scurvy are something special. I already want to go back.

View Profile of Tiki Gadfly Send a personal message to Tiki Gadfly      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-02-21 6:50 pm   Permalink

I will be going when I get a babysitter... Saturday, I hope. New drinks, woohoo!

View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-03-02 10:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-02-21 16:23, Tiki Gadfly wrote:
That's a pretty good review of Frankie's. Only problem, like most reviews is they only talk about one drink. And the Lava Letch is on the sweeter side. But there are 25 other original drinks now. They vary from sweet to strong. The best part about Frankie's is the current bartenders have designed the drinks themselves. That's one advantage of the place only being 4 years old. And they take pride in their work. As a Vegas local and a Frankie's regular I've learned which bartenders created which drinks. So I do have an advantage of knowing which drinks to order depending on who is serving them. When you can order a drink off the person who created it, it doesn't get any better than that. Either way, they have so many drinks now I would imagine everyone could find at least a few drinks they'd love. I tried the six new drinks last night. The Tonga Reefer and Scurvy are something special. I already want to go back.

Gadfly, how a bout an indepth review of said drinks as a primer for future visitors?
For example maybe you could match bartender names-to-drinks ?
With 25 originals to choose and probably several more classics it would be difficult for someone to make an educated decision if they will only be able to be there for one night.

AND, can you post this review within the next couple weeks cause I will be there at the end of March!?

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Gadfly

Posted: 2013-03-05 10:24 pm   Permalink

Sounds good. I will post something in the next couple of days.

View Profile of Tiki Gadfly Send a personal message to Tiki Gadfly      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-27 09:02 am   Permalink

New mug on the web site

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-30 4:18 pm   Permalink

New book on the website...

Jon

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-29 7:50 pm   Permalink

http://www.reviewjournal.com/life/food-and-cooking/frankies-talks-true-tiki

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-29 10:03 pm   Permalink

Awesome interview.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-04 5:19 pm   Permalink

...and another one!

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/books/features/article_1716441.php/Papa-Wants-Liquid-Vacation-to-take-him-to-Tiki-paradise

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-15 09:39 am   Permalink

http://www.sandiego6.com/story/liquid-vacation-20130607

Go Moss!!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation