[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving my first tiki
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
my first tiki
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-28 11:04 am   Permalink

looking for a little feedback.

this is my first piece carved out of a broken pecan branch, i had no idea what i was doing. my muse is the current owner of both of these. she got it as a christmas present. she got me interested in carving and still keeps me encouraged, though i think she just wanted me to be her own personal carver.

the little head is my 6th, also pecan.

i've sold 2 and kept 7 including the one i used hickory. i will be sending my tools in to be sharpened after that debacle. currently working on a new one using basswood - soo nice, soo soft and i'm waiting for my palm trunks and pine trunks to dry out so i can start work on some big pieces. if anything nice came out of ike was the fact i found some downed palm trees. like i said any feedback would be appreciated.

thanx

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Duddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-29 2:13 pm   Permalink

i like 'em

cool stuff!

View Profile of Tiki Duddy Send a personal message to Tiki Duddy  Email Tiki Duddy Goto the website of Tiki Duddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
surfintiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-29 5:24 pm   Permalink

Cool! Very rustic-artistic looking. Everyone here tries to get a style their own, and you got it already!
Keep 'em coming. And welcome to TC!

View Profile of surfintiki Send a personal message to surfintiki  Goto the website of surfintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-29 5:50 pm   Permalink

Nothing wrong with being a "personal carver." I just happen to be
my own "personal carver."
I like 'em too, especially the first one. Just a little bit off kilter...
and I mean that in a good way.

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-29 6:25 pm   Permalink

Looking good, man. I too scored some trees from Ike. Don't like they way I got 'em, but that can't be helped now can it?

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-29 8:07 pm   Permalink

Well you SURE Know how to pick some Hard woods, Pecan is Ultra hard and Hickory a bit harder and has silica thrown in. Does Wonders for keeping the local tool sharpener in business! However up comes the Bass wood to save the day. The Standard in recreational carving, soft, consistent and takes finish easily. Once you get a few bass wood pieces under your belt you should be carving tikis as well as or better than anyone else around. Keep up the great work Oh yes, and WELCOME to Tiki Central

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-29 8:40 pm   Permalink

Dude, You get an AA++ for originality!!! I like them. Welcome to Tiki Central and keep them coming.

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 04:03 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-10-28 11:04, big daddy wrote:my muse is the current owner of both of these. she got it as a christmas present. she got me interested in carving and still keeps me encouraged, though i think she just wanted me to be her own personal carver.

So am I smart or WHAT?!!

So nice to get to see your stuff in this context, Big Daddy! Congrats for a your unique (and great) style!
F

.....C'mon, palm wood; dry! Dry, dammit!!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-01 09:08 am   Permalink

thanks for the feedback folks! i'll post a few of my others soon.

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-10 10:49 pm   Permalink

Nice i realy like.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-12 07:06 am   Permalink

Imagine what you could do with a softer wood. Nicely done mang.

View Profile of McTiki Send a personal message to McTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-25 1:20 pm   Permalink

some new pieces

still need to fine tune these guys. scarface and peaceful pete

newest piece i'm carving. not happy with all the cracks popping up all over.

i finally found something to do with the corks i collect at work, helps pass the time of night at the bar.

2nd piece i ever carved. glad i was directed to this site since seeing all the work done by all y'all (the plural for y'all) definitely inspires me. thanks to everyone.

bd

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-25 10:44 pm   Permalink

You are coming on strong I like your work.
You have own style coming thru already NICE!

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-25 3:32 pm   Permalink

sorry miss formikahini but that xmas gift is now on a waitlist. funny what can happen when you sharpen your chisels.

didn't feel a thing till the doc numbed my finger to stitch me up.

i guess she'll receive in on "reyes magos" day.

s!q
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-12-25 3:36 pm   Permalink

i really dig that new one you're working on! bummer about the hand.

View Profile of s!q Send a personal message to s!q      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation