FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Bilge » » Can't sleep...araghhhh!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Can't sleep...araghhhh!
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 05:57 am   Permalink

Why is it that you wake up at 4:00 am and can't sleep, then 10 minuets before the alarm goes off at 6:00 am, your exhausted and can't keep your eyes open? I have such a long day today, it's going to suck.

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 7:40 pm   Permalink

What's worse is waking up at Midnight & being awake 'til 6.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-30 9:22 pm   Permalink

Ahhhh...insomnia...welcome to the land of the "living dead"...nothing good on TV either when you are awake at crazy hours of the night. I have always been a light sleeper, but after menopause my insomnia has been really terrible...DRAT...old age be damned!!! I have researched treatments over the years and have included some helpful hints below (just the nurse in me-having to share).

Here are some basic facts on insomnia. It's actually divided into two kinds: primary and secondary.

Primary insomnia is having sleep problems that are not related to another health issue and generally lasts for at least one month or longer.

Co-morbid insomnia involves sleep problems that are associated with some other medical conditions. More than 8 out of 10 people who suffer with insomnia are believed to have this type. Examples of things that can cause co-morbid insomnia include:

* Illnesses such as arthritis, cancer, heartburn, heart and lung diseases
* Pain, anxiety and depression
* A substance you may be using such as alcohol, caffeine or tobacco
* Prescription or over-the-counter medications
* Another sleep disorder such as restless leg syndrome
* A poor sleep environment or a change in sleep routine

Insomnia is also divided into types based on how long it lasts. The three types are:

* Transient insomnia: lasting fewer than four weeks
* Short-term insomnia: inability to sleep well for a period of four weeks to six months
* Chronic insomnia: occurring every night or most nights for more than six months

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some of these suggestions might not fit with your lifestyle, but they may be worth trying if you get fed up with insomnia.

1. Don’t stay in bed for longer than 20-30 minutes if you can’t fall asleep or go back to sleep after waking up. Why? Because it can cause your body to become accustomed to being in bed without sleep and can be subconsciously ingrained – bad news if you’re trying to avoid becoming an insomniac.

2. Avoid caffeine within 8-10 hours of bedtime. There have been studies that show if you ingest caffeine (coffee, tea, or otherwise) at noon, it can remain in your system until 8 or 10 at night. Hmmm gonna have to stop visiting Starbucks on the way home.

3. Avoid alcohol before bedtime. Alcohol can sometimes cause you to sleep lighter than usual thusly causing you to wake in the middle of the night – Well, how realistic is this.

4. Find light, relaxing activities to partake in if you can’t sleep. Try reading or listening to calm, soft music. It might help your overactive brain to pause and stop the flood of things do to, projects to finish, worries to worry about. I swear by Solitaire on my laptop...it makes my brain tired.

5. Try the cool-down method. Take a warm bath or shower about 30-45 minutes before you go to bed. This let’s your body relax and the cooling sensation is very ‘sleep-inducing’.

[ This Message was edited by: VampiressRN 2008-10-30 21:29 ]

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 9:50 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the info VampiressRN,
I think, no, I know the problem...I'm a contractor and a cabinetmaker, my phone has not rang for weeks. I may run out of work by the end of November. I had work out to March or April with some projects lasting until next fall. All the projects have been; delayed, canceled or are under going "value engineering" I had to let a worker go last week and perhaps 2 more in December. It's time for some serious decisions.
I have been in business for 30 years, and I know this too shall pass but I'm getting to old for this crap but too young to retire.

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 11:01 pm   Permalink

Also this is in yer closet:

Sweet dreams.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-31 12:08 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-01 10:03 am   Permalink

This works for me.

I toss a firecracker out the window into the back yard then get back in bed. When it goes off everyone else around wakes up, but they don't know what woke them up. So they get up and mill around for a while wondering whats up. The sound of all that gentle shuffling about lulls me back to sleep within a couple of minutes.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
naugatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-01 10:13 am   Permalink

I count tikis

View Profile of naugatiki Send a personal message to naugatiki  Email naugatiki Goto the website of naugatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BettyBleu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-06 02:02 am   Permalink

one tiki, two tiki, three tiki, four tiki....

View Profile of BettyBleu Send a personal message to BettyBleu  Email BettyBleu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BettyBleu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-06 04:49 am   Permalink

one million tikis, one million one tikis, one million two tikis.... (sigh)

View Profile of BettyBleu Send a personal message to BettyBleu  Email BettyBleu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-06 05:52 am   Permalink

Drugs Betty.......drugs!!!!

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-06 07:23 am   Permalink

I don't really have a problem sleeping,
its the getting up to pee 2 to 5 times a night that is getting annoying.
I've tried cutting out drinking past 7pm, but its not working much.
I'm just hoping that I'm not getting prostate problems.
ugh...

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-07 01:53 am   Permalink

I usally work so hard during the day that I fall asleep in the evening and end up waking around 1AM. I just get up and do stuff. Play with the dog, do yoga, work on projects, READ LOTS, do Jumba, watch TV. If I could go swimming in the middle of the night I would. cept I have to be up at 6AM for class. I usually fall asleep again at about 4Am and get up exactly 15 minutes too late to get to class on time DRAT! I think Ive had that restless leg thingy before I just used to call it wiggle leg . and a sure fie way not to get that is to actually use your legs during the day. Like walk a few miles, or run if thats your thing. Tire them out then they wont wanna wiggle at all!

I should be hatching plans for making some christmas loot, but Im still half way creatively blocked.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-07 09:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-06 07:23, bigtikidude wrote:
I don't really have a problem sleeping,
its the getting up to pee 2 to 5 times a night that is getting annoying.
I've tried cutting out drinking past 7pm, but its not working much.
I'm just hoping that I'm not getting prostate problems.
ugh...

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Wear Diapers!!

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-07 3:53 pm   Permalink

is that from personal experience Spermy?

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation