FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Tiki Boats
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Tiki Boats
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 6:11 pm   Permalink

As any qualified Tiki historian knows (i.e. one who has read the Book of Tiki and Tiki Modern), the Kon Tiki raft expedition led by Thor Heyerdahl contributed significantly to the Tiki movement in the 1950s and 1960s. In honor of Thor's contribution to this grand cause, I have put together this post of Tiki Boats - yes that's right, Tiki Boats!

Here are a couple of postcard shots of the original Kon Tiki boat and the museum in Oslo where you can go and see the real deal.

A Kon Tiki book and movie still.

These postcards are from the Tiki tour boat from Tiki Gardens in Indian Rocks Beach, Florida. I pretty sure that's "Trader Frank" Byars (founder of Tiki Gardens) and his wife Jo on the bow of the boat in these postcards.

These are from Captain Beans Polynesian Tour Boat from Hawaii. Check out the Tikis on the bow.

This is the Tiki Islander Tour Boat in Naples, Florida.

A brochure from the Tiki Islander Tour Boat posted previously on TC by Tiki Trav

I'm pretty sure this is the same boat renamed as the Marco Islander.

A couple of great shots of Don The Beachcombers boat the Tamara - originally built in Hawaii and then moved to Tahiti where Donn Beach retired.

Here are some Polynesian canoes with Tikis from the Polynesian Cultural Center in Hawaii

Here are a couple of contemporary Tiki Boats

Tikiboat tour in Newport Harbor California

Tikiboat barge in Miami Florida - looks like you could have a helluva party on that baby. This is the boat that will be used for Hukilau 2009.

A big thank you to Thor, without you and your raft we would not have all of the great Kon Tiki restaurants, Kon Tiki hotels, the Kon Tiki signs, the Kon Tiki mugs, etc.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-30 7:37 pm   Permalink

Cool thread idea! I subject near and dear to my heart. Here's one of my favorite fiberglass designs c. 1958; the coveted South Seas Samoan.

For a little more on this wonderful boat visit:

http://www.archivalproductions.com/boatsinthebelfry.com/gallery/samoan.html

Classic Silver Line Boats

[ This Message was edited by: SilverLine 2010-04-22 12:15 ]

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-05 2:35 pm   Permalink

Wow, that was the Chevy Impala of motor boats, wasn't it? Does it have the name on a plaque on the boat, in a cool typeface? I have seen a "Tahiti" boat with a Tiki mask logo and name.

DC, thank you for that extensive, wonderful post! Here is another snap shot of that Tiki Boat in Balboa:

..and here, the 40 foot Outrigger canoe that used to sit in the basement lobby to the N.Y Plaza Trader Vic's, originally from the set of 1960 version of "The Mutiny on the Bounty" with Marlon Brando:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-06 4:44 pm   Permalink

just posted this in finds!

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-06 4:52 pm   Permalink

Silverline,

Love the South Seas Samoan boat, is that your project?

Bigbro,

Thanks so much for the picture of the outrigger from Trader Vic's at The Plaza.
Where did you get that image?

That must have been an impressive sight down in the basement. One question about the "40-foot outrigger". I had posted a postcard from Trader Vic's at The Plaza in an earlier thread and this is what the back of the card says:

The postcard says it is a 54-foot outrigger. Noticed the same thing on Critiki.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-06 4:55 pm   Permalink

Here is a Tiki boat of a different kind - the Outrigger Buffet at the Kona Inn in Hawaii.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2008-11-06 17:02 ]

Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-11-06 5:37 pm   Permalink

Here's a couple I found..
The Liki Tiki

The Tikki Boat

The Hawaiian Voyaging Vessel The Hokulea

"TikiPop" On Instagram

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-06 10:27 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-06 16:52, Dustycajun wrote:
The postcard says it is a 54-foot outrigger. Noticed the same thing on Critiki.

40..54..who's counting? I always trust postcard captions above all, 54 feet it is!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-07 07:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-06 16:52, Dustycajun wrote:
Silverline,

Love the South Seas Samoan boat, is that your project?

No, I wish! That beauty is a bit beyond my abilities and pay-grade!

View Profile of SilverLine Send a personal message to SilverLine  Goto the website of SilverLine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-11-07 6:11 pm   Permalink

Since this started with the Kon Tiki boat, here's the image from the board game box.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-07 6:23 pm   Permalink

VERY cool ....could this be the only TIKI BOAT based bored game ever!? lol

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SilverLine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-07 8:50 pm   Permalink

8ft Tiki reminded me of this embellished pontoon boat we found at the King Kamehameha Tiki House in, Sedalia, Missouri. I guess they used to take attendees on cruises around the lake back in the day. It didn't look like this boat had been out in quite a while. Maybe soon that will change!

[ This Message was edited by: SilverLine 2008-11-07 20:52 ]

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-08 07:02 am   Permalink

Very cool! Rural Poly pop archeology at its best! C'mon guys, there GOTTA be vintage photos of this in action somewhere! Is the Parkhurst family being unapproachable?

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-11 12:27 pm   Permalink

I think this is one of my favorite threads on TC right now! All of these boats are just incredible! I would love to build something like one of these one day....

Though not really tiki looking, that 1958 South Seas Samoan owns my heart!

[ This Message was edited by: Babalu 2008-11-11 12:29 ]

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-11 12:47 pm   Permalink

OK, I might not have posted the BIGGEST boat here with that Trader Vic outrigger, but here is the SMALLEST:

This is the single game piece that comes in that Kon-Tiki game that aquarij posted above.

How small is it? It is THIS small :

(I provided the "water")

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation