FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Tiki Mag's Winter 08-09 Issue Release Party (Nov.21)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
Tiki Mag's Winter 08-09 Issue Release Party (Nov.21)
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-23 10:09 am   Permalink

Now that I've gotten some sleep, I've thought of something else to say... Thor, I loved your idea for Damon's back room. Maybe we could all suggest something like this to them? I think the owners are the kind of people who might take this seriously! It certainly would make that "party room" more special! I'll swing by sometime in the next week or so and talk to them. Everybody else, if you go to Damon's again, tell them this idea, too! Hopefully, they liked the business and fun our gathering brought into their establishment. And, as for "Tiki movement"... tee hee hee. Funny boy.

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-23 10:28 am   Permalink

Bamboo Ben, yes you were missed. But, as I said in an earlier post, you are doing a good thing by making Las Vegas even MORE fun for the rest of us. I'll be seeing you up there on December 4th, right? You WILL be there, won't you? Back to Thor's fine idea, though: IF the owners of Damon's are keen to "Tiki-up" that back room, maybe we could all help them do it, so it's done right. (Maybe not as "right" as Bamboo Ben could do it, but still better than it is now.) If you brilliant artists would each consider donating one of your pieces to that room's rehab (like a repro print or something not expensive -- but still something that showed off your talents) I bet you could put a little gallery-type plaque by your piece (with your contact info), which would generate a little exposure for you. As I said, I'll talk to the owners and see how they feel about sprucing up that back room. They might be very open to it, if it doesn't cost them much.

View Profile of Tangaroa-Ru Send a personal message to Tangaroa-Ru      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
THOR's
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-23 2:51 pm   Permalink

Kari!!

I am TOTALLY on board with this... I would happily donate work....both original and/ or really cool giclee's. Also..I think that it may have been a wee tight as a vending space..but could be awesome as a simple "art show" space. If we had just paintings and flat art in their on the wall or a few easels, lower the lights and plan on bringing in some nice spots to clip under the thatch areas above the booths..it could support a fair space for 3-4 artists, say. We could do themes..too.. Maybe we have a velvet revival show..or whatever. But even if that was not to happen, if we could speak to Damon's about the idea that this room's feel being a Tiki concentration and some of the efforts could be donated outta the spirit of preserving the Tiki culture...we may be on to building more places we al can enjoy and be a part of.

Second thought... I was half in and half out of the conversation where there was a guy there that night who was one of the owners or something the new Trader Vic's in Beverly Hills?? Did I hear that right..and if so..what was his interest in supporting Tiki? Could he also be a resource in supporting art shows or exposure to the current culture?? I know nothing of the remainder of TV's since the change..so pardon me if I am over estimating the status of the space...just brainstorming.

~T

View Profile of THOR's Send a personal message to THOR's  Email THOR's Goto the website of THOR's     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GO TIKI
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-23 3:51 pm   Permalink

I would donate some fun stuff!

View Profile of GO TIKI Send a personal message to GO TIKI  Email GO TIKI     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-23 4:04 pm   Permalink

Thor, I did not hear that conversation. Did anyone else? Because of the lack of response I've gotten from my concepts I brought to a meeting at the Trader Vic's in Las Vegas earlier this year, I find it hard to believe that it was someone from Trader Vic's who was there last night. Maybe it was someone from the new Luau restaurant in Beverly Hills? Does anyone else know who this person was at Damon's? Nothing like an Imagineer to get MY BRAIN working overtime... Thor! But, you are so right. It seems like every coffee house around has revolving gallery type work going on, so why not our Tiki restaurants? Yes, yes, yes, I will talk to Damon's and let you all know what they say. This could be the start of something... well, if nothing else... fun. And without a lot of effort, that could benefit all you artists that I adore. Clever clever people that you are. Now go wet your paintbrushes in some rum... Thor. xx Kari

Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-23 4:11 pm   Permalink

Go Go! Didn't mean to leave you out! Your ceramics are so awesome! I think you should donate one of your wall hangings... hmmm... maybe your Tiki clock!!! Have you guys SEEN Go Go's Tiki clock?! It's fabulous. Okay, everyone, I'll let you all know what's up when I know. I'll bombard Damon's with my presence after Thanksgiving. I'm editing magic photos (translate = paying job) like a zombie until then. Anyone want to come with me to help persuade and bring a piece of art or two as bait? (Not to give them yet, just to show them.)

WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-23 4:14 pm   Permalink

Yes, the Mastermind of the New Trader Vics was at Damons. He is very into Tiki and supports TC 100%. Keep your eyes open for him at the next TC event

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa-Ru
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-23 4:18 pm   Permalink

Woohoo, did you get the name of this Trader Vic's man? It wasn't a German guy named Sven Koch, was it? I want to talk to whoever this man is. He needs to catch up, big time, with the rest of us.

WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-23 4:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-23 16:18, Tangaroa-Ru wrote:
Woohoo, did you get the name of this Trader Vic's man? It wasn't a German guy named Sven Koch, was it? I want to talk to whoever this man is. He needs to catch up, big time, with the rest of us.

Tangaroa-Ru - My lips are sealed. But trust me, like I said, he supports TC 100% and does attend as many TC functions that he can Trader Vic's in L.A. is going to be one of a kind. WooHoo!!

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BigToe
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-23 6:52 pm   Permalink

i would be very pleased to donate a photo of my furry butt...with plaque

thanks all for a great time.

check out my docudrama:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewPicture&friendID=32701680&albumId=2439866

please let me know if the link works...as u all know, i am a computer bone-head

View Profile of BigToe Send a personal message to BigToe  Email BigToe Goto the website of BigToe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-11-23 7:44 pm   Permalink

Not to be a sour grape but I think Damon's is fine the way it is. It's been fine for 70 years. As for changes to the back room I'd think it'd be up to the artists and vendors to bring stuff to Tiki it up while they're selling it. I sure wouldn't want to hear any "You know what you should do..." stuff after only one event. The restaurant was packed Friday night and I'd doubt if 80% of the people there even knew there was an event going on in the back room.

If you want to help a place out please see
GROG's Tonga Hut thread.

The Trader Vic's LA guy posts here on Tiki Central and I'd say he's been at all of the major events over the past 2 months. He's a nice guy and he always seems to be having a good time. I've heard some really great things and I'm looking forward to the new Vic's.

- Sour Grapes Jones.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-23 9:41 pm   Permalink

We had a great time. The food was very good. Restaurant was packed with non-TC people. The art was outstanding. Thor's black velvet art was killer as you can kinda see in Ojaitimo's pix. The guy in several pics, John Valencia, (I'm making hand signs for him in one photo.....not sure what I was describing) is from the soon to open Trader Vic's. We talked for a long time. He is really interested in getting the decor, and cocktails right. Not going to use pre-made mixes..... everything fresh. Also has a live music permit with an authentic Island floor show lined up. All this could change, but I hope he can follow his ideas the way he described them. If the food and drinks are good, the decor will be a great bonus. I think he is shooting for an opening in March, but that will be at the mercy of contractors and city inspectors.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Ojaitimo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-24 12:36 am   Permalink

Awesome velvet by Thor

Trader John of Trader Vic's LA and Woo Hoo Wahine

Soccer Tiki and Tiki Ray playing with their boobs

View Profile of Ojaitimo Send a personal message to Ojaitimo  Email Ojaitimo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-24 08:21 am   Permalink

WOW!
Now that was a fun night!
A Big Thank You to Nick and the staff at Damons
especially Megan ,and that lady in the front who reminded me of Wanda Jackson-made setting up and gettin it going soooo easy!
The food was great and the Ohana was well-represented!
Thor's velvets are awesome to behold in person.....
Another big thank you to all y'all who adopted some work
it was such a blur!
especially Mark and Cindy (did i spell that right?),who decided to give the "Battle" piecea lovely new home!mahalos!
Also stoked that I'm going to be represented in Spermy's Blowhole
with "the Fall of Icarus(with Tikis)!mahalos bro!
Two Tiki abstract pieces that are now home in two swanky pads!
Life is Good!
Thanks Ernie for doggedly pursuing "the Guardian" piece!
i could go on and on...
it was simply a Grand time and i left there tired and all hugged out!

i left a few of those free puppies there accidently...
could someone give them a good home?

oh ya! and Andy ROCKS!

[ This Message was edited by: little lost tiki 2008-11-24 08:25 ]

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Murph
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-24 11:58 am   Permalink

Great event!

Did anyone else try the "Killer Chocolate Cake"?
I spent about 40 minutes with that thing!

WaikikiWomb

View Profile of Murph Send a personal message to Murph  Email Murph     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation