FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Granite Tiki, and other odd things from the kiltedTiki
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Granite Tiki, and other odd things from the kiltedTiki
KiltedTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-11-04 5:23 pm   Permalink

Hello, I’m I new poster, but a long time reader ( or as some call it “lurker”) I have been carving granite for about two years off and on, when I can find the time. Here are a few of my granite Tiki’s. I’ll post more later.
Trying to get the hang of the posting thing.

[ This Message was edited by: KiltedTiki 2009-02-23 07:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: KiltedTiki 2009-03-28 20:00 ]

[ This Message was edited by: KiltedTiki 2009-05-31 14:33 ]

View Profile of KiltedTiki Send a personal message to KiltedTiki  Email KiltedTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KiltedTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-11-04 5:37 pm   Permalink

here are a few more, they are carve in a gray granite using grinders, each one is done in about 2-3 hours, with a lot of dust flying.

View Profile of KiltedTiki Send a personal message to KiltedTiki  Email KiltedTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KiltedTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-11-04 5:54 pm   Permalink

Well catching on to "how to post photo's so here are some more,

The line up,

next a non tiki With grinding and rock pitching

a working photo of the KiltedTiki

If you would like to see more let me know.

tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-04 6:59 pm   Permalink

Dig it, man!
I see a lot of grinders around, can I see a shot of what else you use & maybe a progression?

View Profile of tikisbytyler Send a personal message to tikisbytyler  Email tikisbytyler Goto the website of tikisbytyler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-04 8:57 pm   Permalink

Excellent stuff. I'm sure when you get up to speed with posting. we will see how you are making these cool dudes! Welcome to Tiki Central.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tamapoutini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-05 12:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-04 17:54, KiltedTiki wrote:

If you would like to see more let me know.

Kia ora KiltedTiki, welcome to TC!

Ive done a bit of stone carving but never on such a large scale as this! We have a lot of different granite boulders in the rivers/creeks around our way & Id be very keen to hear/see a bit more of a technical rundown on your tools and methods. Ive been saying for a long time that Id like to tool-up for larger work in stone and you might be just the person to set it in motion..

Thanks for sharing your work, its obvious you have spent some time at it. Cheers

Tama

View Profile of Tamapoutini Send a personal message to Tamapoutini  Email Tamapoutini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-05 10:56 am   Permalink

Exceptional work! Keep up the great tiki's.

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KiltedTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-11-05 8:10 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the kind words,
As for the tools used, a 5 inch grinder with a Alpha Vortex blade, it is the one I use the most, and I use it dry, It's a Professional grade tool, ($120.00) it has lasted a long time, cutting and grinding blade in one, I'll post a photo of it this weekend, and then I have some Diamond Profile bits for sculpting, that I bought from Grantie City Tool.

This is a piece that I’m working on. a green granite.

I work for a monument co. and I've been taking home cut off pieces for six years now, at first a didn't know what I was going to do with them all, but I knew I couldn't let thses piece's go to a crusher.

here are a few more

Now a little about my name KiltedTiki, I've been throwing heavy weight and logs (Cabers) in Highland Games for 20 years so I do wear a Kilt at times.
Here is myself tossing a Caber at a games last year

seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-05 9:37 pm   Permalink

Very nice tikis there Kilted me like.

Man in a dress takes balls

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-07 9:42 pm   Permalink

That is one big pole for such a short skirt!!!

View Profile of tikisbytyler Send a personal message to tikisbytyler  Email tikisbytyler Goto the website of tikisbytyler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikisbytyler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-07 9:47 pm   Permalink

Seriously, though I dig yer work & being of Scot descent on mom's side I've donned the kilt before as well!
Thanks for the info & look forward to seeing more heavies.

Tikilizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-08 10:26 am   Permalink

Some great pieces! Really like the diversity of the faces. Keep up the great work.

Facebook

View Profile of Tikilizard Send a personal message to Tikilizard  Email Tikilizard Goto the website of Tikilizard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KiltedTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-11-08 5:18 pm   Permalink

Here is a photo of the 1st granite carving that I did, My boss and I went to "Rock Camp" two years ago to try our hands at beating and grinding on stones, this was my piece about 3 hours of work, I see a lot of things I would change now.

The next photo is the piece that I did right after coming back from rock camp, it the face that's not tiki

Next is what is left of two Tiki's that my Dad carved in the late 60's. The one in the middle is a fountain the I bought this year

ans a close up on the one that still together.

and here are some tiki's started, they are cut out with the 5" blade on a hand held grinder. hope this hasn't bored too many of you.

[ This Message was edited by: KiltedTiki 2008-11-08 17:20 ]

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-08 7:38 pm   Permalink

How weird is this!

Mine are wood not stone, but I did a little flashback when I saw your last pic!

I like what you're doing with those Moai, especially the green granite one with the circular patterns.

Can you post a closeup pic of that Alpha Vortex blade? It sounds interesting!

Ever go to the Games in Vista, CA?

Where is Exeter?

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
buzzard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-08 7:54 pm   Permalink

very cool stuff!!
i to would like to see the tools you use
love to see more

View Profile of buzzard Send a personal message to buzzard  Email buzzard     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation