FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Large Tiki Fork and Spoon Collecting
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Large Tiki Fork and Spoon Collecting
allenmac

Posted: 2009-08-27 1:18 pm   Permalink

Wow ... I just bought a fork & spoon that look exactly like the ones Sophia is holding. These things are huge, 39'' long and the spoon is 8-5/8" wide. I've been all over the Internet and haven't found anything comparable. They are very old and extremely well-carved. The wood is black, and they are in excellent shape. I think I'll eBay them and see what they'll bring.

[ This Message was edited by: allenmac 2009-08-27 21:33 ]

View Profile of allenmac Send a personal message to allenmac  Email allenmac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-27 1:35 pm   Permalink

Always remember, that the true use of these giant forks and spoons is for making Wahine Salad.

Real tiki aficionados always use their collectibles for their intended purpose - not just for display. So go have fun!

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-27 1:52 pm   Permalink

Hey Bradda & Sistah's, I'm looking to buy a inexpensive(as in $15-25) spoon & fork set so let me know what ya got if any thanks

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sputnikmoss
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-27 3:51 pm   Permalink

My friend is collecting them so he doesn't have to take down the hideous wall paper in his kitchen. One day he hopes to have just a wall of forks and spoons. The big ones are 5-6 feet tall!!!

View Profile of sputnikmoss Send a personal message to sputnikmoss  Email sputnikmoss Goto the website of sputnikmoss     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Skinny Dog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-28 09:09 am   Permalink

Hey Kelly

I have a pair I rescued at the Salvation Army last year. You can have them, I have no need to keep them. I will take a photo later and post them. I'll give them to you next time I see you if you want them.

Jen

View Profile of Skinny Dog Send a personal message to Skinny Dog  Email Skinny Dog Goto the website of Skinny Dog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hiphipahula
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-28 2:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-28 09:09, Skinny Dog wrote:
Hey Kelly

I have a pair I rescued at the Salvation Army last year. You can have them, I have no need to keep them. I will take a photo later and post them. I'll give them to you next time I see you if you want them.

Jen

I do want them Thank You! Kitchen remodel & they are a necessity Thanks again, I will hook up with you Jen

View Profile of Hiphipahula Send a personal message to Hiphipahula  Email Hiphipahula Goto the website of Hiphipahula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Skinny Dog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-29 09:51 am   Permalink

No worries Kelly, they have your name on them.

Jen

View Profile of Skinny Dog Send a personal message to Skinny Dog  Email Skinny Dog Goto the website of Skinny Dog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-08-29 8:09 pm   Permalink

Whatever..are you kidding me? What tiki-loving abode would be without at least ONE set of souvenir utensils...honestly, what alternative universe do you some of you people comefrom? lol. They are awesome.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lukeulele
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-03 7:18 pm   Permalink

Always remember..... Spooning leads to forking.

View Profile of Lukeulele Send a personal message to Lukeulele  Email Lukeulele Goto the website of Lukeulele     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dewey-surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-20 6:02 pm   Permalink

I appreciate this thread, because I always wondered what is up with these?

I constantly run across them in my thrifting, and have yet to give in and buy some. Not that I don't find them cool, but if found tiki mugs at the fork/spoon rate, I would have a 24 hour grin.

In order I constantly find and pass on:

1) White Buddha/Geisha/Ninja mugs. Debate on Poly-pop tikiness yet?

2) Wooden fork and spoons

3) Those brown Kahlua double decker things

View Profile of dewey-surf Send a personal message to dewey-surf      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skootiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-13 8:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-08-27 15:51, sputnikmoss wrote:
My friend is collecting them so he doesn't have to take down the hideous wall paper in his kitchen. One day he hopes to have just a wall of forks and spoons. The big ones are 5-6 feet tall!!!

that wall of giant forks and spoons is inspiring...i have a few sets, but maybe i need more,much , much, more.

View Profile of skootiki Send a personal message to skootiki  Email skootiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mike the Headhunter
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 06:20 am   Permalink

Wow! How fitting this post is right on the first page, i just got around to finishing this project yesterday. I have had this spoon for about a year now. Now it is complete!

[ This Message was edited by: Mike the Headhunter 2009-10-14 06:21 ]

View Profile of Mike the Headhunter Send a personal message to Mike the Headhunter      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
boutiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 08:29 am   Permalink

My favorite:

-Duke

View Profile of boutiki Send a personal message to boutiki  Goto the website of boutiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-14 10:35 pm   Permalink

I agree with Duke...those Easter Island ancestor figure inspired untensils are the coolest ones I've seen. I wouldn't mind stumbling across some of those in the salvation army.

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Glentiki

Posted: 2009-10-16 11:55 am   Permalink

I noticed that no one mentioned that one of the reasons so many of these, and the monkeypod wooden tiki mugs, show up in thrift stores on the mainland is that they were available in North American stores in the late 60s and 70s as well. Here's an ad from the 1974 Canadian Sears Wishbook...

So far I've resisted the temptation to pick up any of the dozens I've seen over the years!

View Profile of Glentiki Send a personal message to Glentiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation