FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Large Tiki Fork and Spoon Collecting
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Large Tiki Fork and Spoon Collecting
TikiDiego
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-10-21 08:43 am   Permalink

We love our giant fork and spoon that we have up on display in the house. They make a perfect kitschy transition from the lounge area of the house into the kitchen. Yeah, they're not the most intricately carved or designed, but I think that's kinda the point - they're supposed to be tacky.

They're certainly weird, but they do have their place as part of the tiki past.

View Profile of TikiDiego Send a personal message to TikiDiego  Goto the website of TikiDiego     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
skootiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-22 2:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-02 10:42, ErichTroudt wrote:
I had a broken Spoon with a nice handle.... I need door handles for the hut.....

Erich, your door handle idea inspired me.The fork is mounted on the other side of the door.

The door needs to be tikifiied, but this is agood start I think.

View Profile of skootiki Send a personal message to skootiki  Email skootiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigik
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-11-03 2:38 pm   Permalink

I FINALLY broke down and got my fork & spoon. Spent about $12 in gas to pick it up at a thrift an hour away from me for $3. So call it $15 for the set. A gal I know has a craft store with a few collectibles in the back that I have gotten a Coco Joe's and a Leilani from and her daughter saw the f&s at a thrift that she works at and messaged me about them on fb. So now I have my TikiTaki.

View Profile of tikigik Send a personal message to tikigik  Goto the website of tikigik ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2010-11-12 09:15 am   Permalink

As for the origin of Big fork and spoons, A friend told me this many years ago; "I dated a Filipino guy and they have a set in his parents house. He told me that folk lore has it that Ancient Filipinos were GIANTS and the big fork and spoon is an homage to their ancestory."

Hmm...
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
blacklagoon

Posted: 2010-11-17 08:03 am   Permalink

Spoon!

Well I took a pick of a tub of spoons and forks I have in storage. I pick them up whenever I see them for under $5 for a pair. Most I've paid around a $1 and I plan to make a lamp of something interesting with them at some point.

I like the ones we've found that have little ducks and heart decals applied.

Paul

View Profile of blacklagoon Send a personal message to blacklagoon  Email blacklagoon Goto the website of blacklagoon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-03 7:34 pm   Permalink

I too have a spoon in my set. It was given to me by my brother when he was staioned out of P.I. looks like the standard style, but I did happen to come across this set at a salvation army today for a buck. Haven't seen one like this before.

Wasn't realy looking for them, and like many of the others I pass em' by, but these I liked

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Matt Reese
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-06 04:55 am   Permalink

Funny how much those things are going for these days. I've got them everywhere in my 'galley' area. Here's a quick shot... they are on nearly every post. Couldn't do that at todays prices, but back when you could find them for $3 to $4 a pair...

View Profile of Matt Reese Send a personal message to Matt Reese  Email Matt Reese     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-10 4:11 pm   Permalink

It's funny, I really don't like these things at all but when you see some of them set up in your spaces, they look pretty good! I still think the majority of these should be cut down so only the Tikis survive but that's just my opinion! That being said, the pair (two posts back) added by ka'lenatiki are probably the coolest I've seen. Their original and are good Tikis.

There's an old house in Fort Langley that's been there forever. It's quite an old Arts and Crafts type house. They have this unique fence that goes around their property and it's really pretty cool. It's made with lots of old antiques, tools and other bits and bobs.

There's even a few floats thrown in, that's right close to the Sewing Machine!:

And sure enough, at the end of the fence:

A little weathered now but still holding up!
There's just no escaping these giant Forks and Spoons!!!

Mahalo, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-06-10 5:36 pm   Permalink

That fence is awesome, dan. I like the way the fork & spoon weathered. is the rest of the property "excentric"?

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-21 9:34 pm   Permalink

I thought these Witcos were big

Until I saw these from the Seattle's World Fair!

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
clintiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-05 4:02 pm   Permalink

Just found these at my local goodwill for $4 for the set. What's cool is that it still has the original tag from "The Monkeypod Wood Shop" in Honolulu, HI. Got 'em hung up already!

Clintiki

I have O.T.D: Obsessive.Tiki.Disorder!..

View Profile of clintiki Send a personal message to clintiki  Email clintiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-09 10:12 am   Permalink

I love this image

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bay Park Buzzy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-30 6:32 pm   Permalink

The Bali Hai here in SD has a set that includes the matching knife. Anyone ever seen another one of those out there?

I have a few sets from various pacific tourist hubs:

Papua New Guinea's version:

Rapa Nui Kava Kava man set:

Tahiti's full tableware version:

New Zealand Maori decorative:

Maori salad servers:

Maori Hei Tiki resin salad servers:

Buzzy Out!

View Profile of Bay Park Buzzy Send a personal message to Bay Park Buzzy  Email Bay Park Buzzy Goto the website of Bay Park Buzzy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-01 05:41 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-09 10:12, SandraDee wrote:
I love this image

HAH! Wonderful photo

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-06 05:43 am   Permalink

I kneed a tiki knife for a project. Anyone ?

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation