Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Marketplace » » eBay: Rare Shag Collectible
eBay: Rare Shag Collectible
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-12 12:01 pm   Permalink

Wow, this piece never comes up for sale! If I remember correctly, these were gone the evening of the show's opening at La Luz in 2000:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-SHAG-TIKI-LAMP-BY-TIKI-FARM-RAPA-HU-72-OF-75_W0QQitemZ220310307011QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item220310307011&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1240%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-12 1:13 pm   Permalink

..i remember that show...in fact i showed up early and saw a few lamps and the first round of shag mugs series 1....i thought the lamp was pricey at $45 (?)..or was it $65...talk about a missed dopportunity....they had just put the shag mugs out and i didn't buy any thinking they would probably always carry them. i wasn't too impressed with the glaze choices either..none the less i think they all sold out by the end of the evening....i wouldn't see them again till they were on ebay for big bucks....still kickin myself i didn't load up my bag with all that stuff...but who knew?

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-13 10:33 am   Permalink

There is a store in Hermosa Beach I used to visit once in a while, and three visits in a row they
had one of the Brown Shag lamps for sale, must of had a few in the back. Well, I ended up buying
three, sold two (one for $450 to a guy in Japan) which more than paid for mine. I think the price
was $110, can't remember for sure. After the second set of Shag mugs came out, I purchased three sets
at Wacko. One set I sold, one set I kept and the third set I used as gifts to each person in my wedding.
Before everyone gets their panties in a wad about me re-selling, read the article by Robert Williams in Juxtapoz, which in essence states a secondary market actually helps promote a artist, and is a gauge
of success.

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
junkgirl

Posted: 2013-11-20 1:01 pm   Permalink

Oh my, I own this lamp! I knew it was good, but not how good! Found it for $15.00, minus the signed tag.
The Tiki gods were with me that day!

View Profile of junkgirl Send a personal message to junkgirl  Email junkgirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-11-20 2:33 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-13 10:33, tiki-riviera wrote:
Before everyone gets their panties in a wad about me re-selling, read the article by Robert Williams in Juxtapoz, which in essence states a secondary market actually helps promote a artist, and is a gauge of success.

By this definition, bigbrotiki is bigger than Elvis!

And I can't see why anyone would get upset about you selling something you own. Sometimes people are just ready to give something a new home where it can be appreciated by someone new. Whoever gets it is sure to love it, and maybe some day they'll share the love with someone else. That's the way it should work, in my opinion. Too much great stuff out there not to share it.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-21 04:28 am   Permalink

"And I can't see why anyone would get upset about you selling something you own. Sometimes people are just ready to give something a new home where it can be appreciated by someone new. Whoever gets it is sure to love it, and maybe some day they'll share the love with someone else. That's the way it should work, in my opinion. Too much great stuff out there not to share it."

Ha!
Are you new in town?:)

I like Shags work.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigreg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-21 04:44 am   Permalink

I like Shag's work too! I also like replies to five year old posts. Thanks for the memories.

View Profile of tikigreg Send a personal message to tikigreg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2013-11-21 05:20 am   Permalink

It's all we got, old posts.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-24 08:45 am   Permalink

I still have the Shag lamp and the complete set of shag mugs. I wonder what they would go for today?

Thanks for reviving this long forgotten post

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation