FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The Art of Cocktail Embellishment - The Garnish
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
The Art of Cocktail Embellishment - The Garnish
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-12 10:18 pm   Permalink

Hey All,

I'm hoping a few of you might give me hand with garnishes?

I've been making a few hand built mugs lately and it is occurring to me that when a proper cocktail is served, it has a garnish...Sometimes a cherry, a pineapple slice, mint, a doolie bob of some kind, stir sticks, straws? I would like to try and focus in on this fact while designing and glazing my mugs. It just seems to me that a tiki mug looks unfinished until it has a drink in it. It takes on a certain Mana for me when it's being used...

Anyway, I did a quick search in this area of TC and I can't seem to find a thread that talks to different garnishes used in different drinks. Do any of you have any images that you might care to share, or know of a thread out there that they could point me to?

Huge thanks in advance...

[ This Message was edited by: Babalu 2008-11-13 12:35 ]

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-13 01:12 am   Permalink

A few weeks ago Beachbum Berry joined a bunch of cocktail bloggers in a chatroom to discuss garnishes. Here is a link to the wrap-up of that chat, along with many links to pictures of some lovely garnishes.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-13 06:16 am   Permalink

Are you asking about what 'should' you be considering for garnish? Meaning what is the usual or typical garnish for a specific drink.....

Or are you seeking ideas for creative garnishes?

If you are looking for ideas, I am going to reverse the question back to you...... what do you think would be an appropriate garnish to pair with the mugs your creating? You can glaze the mugs and then showcase them with the garnish you selected.

And, a couple of ideas for you to get the creative mana flowing:

Search Garnish here and you should get some interesting options. Search Cocktails or Cocktail Garnish on Flickr and you will get some really wild options.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-13 12:30 pm   Permalink

Hey Jen - Chip and Andy,

These links and images help out a ton! I feel like a new door to creativity has just exploded open for me this morning. I am now very intrigued with the "art of cocktail embellishment"

Chip and Andy: Good question...one which I hope to soon answer for myself.

My problem, and interest in this new topic started here with the "how to" glazing of this hand built Drum mug of mine below. I have been thinking about how I was going to glaze it for several weeks now...should I use multiple colors was my main question to myself? I have several wonderful matt colored glaze choices that would give this mug the older, vintage feel I was shooting for. In the end, I felt that multiple colors on this mug would distract from the sculpture. At the same time I was thinking how I really wanted to see this mug with a drink in it and garnish on it, and how that would sooo complete the desired look that I wanted.

So often I make things and I shoot a picture of it and "whoosh"...it's off to some other home...all I have left is a photo. Well, enough of that...I want to test drive my hand built goodies first. I would also like to add a photo to my portfolio of what it should look like with a drink in it before it leaves my studio.

I just glazed this Drum Mug below last night...I will fire it tonight. I think this guy is already spoken for, but I want to have a little fun with it first. If all goes well, the colors it turns out to be, after tonight's firing, will be similar to the test trees you see next to it. I will post a few pictures here of how I maneuver around the garnish issue for it....fun, fun, fun!

I did do a search on TC and have not seen a thread that talks to the creative aspect of the garnish....Am I not looking in the right place perhaps?

Thanks again for the pictures...I love the lime peel with the cherry one. Many ideas floating around in my head right now...

[ This Message was edited by: Babalu 2008-11-13 12:34 ]

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-13 5:08 pm   Permalink

Jen,

Thought I would post a few of those pics from that link you supplied...

Not all tiki of course, but one can see where one could use elements of some of these fun ideas to another level...

OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-13 6:38 pm   Permalink

Babs, i too find myself shooting quick crappy pictures of my mugs. it is only recently that i have started spending a little more time shooting pics, and have starting shooting stuff with drink and garnish. These mugs should be seen in a natural setting, though i admit that most time i work up a cocktail I use a glass. To fully appreciate a cocktail i think glass is a must for the visual, but there is another magic to seeing a mug presented garnished up. I have made some fairly complex garnish in the past, mainly for drinks i felt needed the extra push, or for a grande showing, but i hope to take it up a notch soon as a few months ago i found a complete garnish kit, with book and specialty tools, at a goodwill. have not tried out the goods yet, but it seems like you can do some pretty amazing things with these tools.
hopefully this spot will be a place to post some grande garnish, both in glass and mug.

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-14 06:43 am   Permalink

good thread - some amazing decorations here, real works of art. some people just have too much time!

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-14 07:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-13 18:38, OceaOtica wrote:
...but there is another magic to seeing a mug presented garnished up.

Agreed.

Garnishing up a mug takes a bit more time to get it to truly look good, but it can be done.

And it is worth the effort because, like the man said, Garnish Matters.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-16 12:18 pm   Permalink

Well, here are my first 2 attempts at garnish...

OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-16 12:27 pm   Permalink

here is a crappy picture, but a full presentation. shot one pic real quick, never had a chance to get others. at the base of the bowl is sliced ginger, smelled great, and matched the ginger in the drink

View Profile of OceaOtica Send a personal message to OceaOtica  Email OceaOtica Goto the website of OceaOtica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-16 2:17 pm   Permalink

Babalu, I love the concept of the orange peel and olives (or are those blueberries?). I think you'll have more aesthetic success if you use a vegetable peeler to get a much thinner strip of peel without all the pith. The pith adds bitterness to the drink, while just the outer part of the peel simply adds aroma and the sweeter orange oils. You'll need to go deep enough to get just a bit of the pith to help with the flexibility of the peel, otherwise it can be brittle and break. You can do the same with a knife, but it's not as easy.

[ This Message was edited by: JenTiki 2008-11-16 14:19 ]

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
OceaOtica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-16 2:45 pm   Permalink

pith definitely will bitter a drink, good advice if were garnishing like Babs last photo, because the garnish is in contact with the drink. But for the other photos Babalu is spot on. Peel does not come in contact with the drink, and aesthetically the color break up and thickness is more appealing and gives more depth to the garnish. It also ties into his mug design better. that said there is some loose pith that could have been smoothed out or removed.
Good point though Jentiki about use of thick walled citrus peel in drinks.
Babs, what was the cocktail in the mug?

[ This Message was edited by: OceaOtica 2008-11-16 15:03 ]

Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-16 7:52 pm   Permalink

Hey Jen, thanks for the great advice...I'm still a newbie to the whole drink thing. Those are blueberries.

Cass, the drink had no booze in it...I was just trying out a look.

A few days back, I picked up quite a few garnish goodies at the World Market, plus some already on the market sir sticks which I will hack up and redo...

This whole garnish thing is cool!

TIKI-TONGA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-20 5:38 pm   Permalink

Found this nice example:

Here:
http://www.mojitogroup.com/presse.html

View Profile of TIKI-TONGA Send a personal message to TIKI-TONGA  Email TIKI-TONGA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-21 06:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-16 12:18, Babalu wrote:

...This whole garnish thing is cool!

Very nice! Interesting knife work on that peel, it looks like it curls back on itself..... but it goes two directions!(?)

An idea for you (as if you don't have enough already...) it's a drum right? Why not put two straws in like drumsticks. Or a straw/skewer with a cherry tomato at the top like it is a mallet for beating the drum. Or something kind of egg-shaped to compliment the Bird-Man handle.

And Welcome to a whole new level of cocktail geekery. It wont be long now before you start adding fire to your garnishes.... a crouton or sugar cube with some Overproof liquor makes for an amazing presentation.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation