FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » The Art of Cocktail Embellishment - The Garnish
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
The Art of Cocktail Embellishment - The Garnish
Tiki Pop
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-11-22 2:31 pm   Permalink

On YouTube, I found a couple of slide show videos featuring cocktail garnishes. On youTube search: Rumenaldo.

Aloha

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Pop 2008-11-22 14:34 ]

View Profile of Tiki Pop Send a personal message to Tiki Pop      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kaiserpenguin

Posted: 2009-01-07 8:22 pm   Permalink

Was just forwarded this link by another good cocktail friend. Glad to see this topic started! Babalu, I love your garnish with the orange peel and blueberries and must admit I'm jealous of your tiki mug.

If you guys have any questions about garnishing, ask away. I see more than a few of my pics made it into the thread here...

[ This Message was edited by: kaiserpenguin 2009-01-07 20:23 ]

View Profile of kaiserpenguin Send a personal message to kaiserpenguin  Email kaiserpenguin Goto the website of kaiserpenguin     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-08 12:24 pm   Permalink

The Penguin speaks!

Welcome to the forum, sir. See you tonight with a little something floaty!

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Little fragrant Tiare
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-08 1:24 pm   Permalink

That orange garnish was cool! and i like the tiki mug, real nice.

View Profile of Little fragrant Tiare Send a personal message to Little fragrant Tiare  Goto the website of Little fragrant Tiare     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Babalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-01-10 09:36 am   Permalink

Thank you guys. That was a cut back on both of those different orange peels used. There has been a few other mugs that I have done lately that flew away before I had the chance to play with them on this thread. Next ones up, I'll try harder to get-um over here.

Kaiser Penguin, Some of those garnishes of yours are simply stunning!...wonderful shots as well. Hope to see some more of your work posted here in the future

I brought some new funky tools over the Holiday to try out...no clue yet how they are used yet...I'll figure it out :-)

View Profile of Babalu Send a personal message to Babalu  Email Babalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2011-05-01 9:24 pm   Permalink

I tried and experiment tonight with fair results; I took some canned guava paste and melted it in the microwave, the put it in a Moai ice cube tray and chilled it. The Guava paste is usually a prettier pink color, I think I've had this can for a while. But now I know that guava paste can be molded and it stays gelled better at room temp than Jello would.

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2014-03-10 09:42 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-03-09 9:04 pm   Permalink

Time to resurrect this thread. If you have access, pomegranate blossoms look rather exotic and would make a nice garnish. Rich red with a yellow center and a hard, waxy shell.

Each blossom you pick means one less pomegranate but most people with a pomegranate tree have far too many fruits anyway.
For the picture, it's Mike's Hard Lemonade with a red food coloring float - don't judge me

[ This Message was edited by: MadDogMike 2014-03-09 21:18 ]

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-09 9:09 pm   Permalink

Velly nice Mike. I’m gonna put one in the next “Meyers” planters punch I make. Dat red will “pop”in a yellow bev.
Mahalo
David

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2014-03-09 21:10 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-03-10 3:45 pm   Permalink

I was thinking of making a garnish related thread, so I agree this thread needs a resurrection!

Tonight's attempts:

I've started buying whole pineapples mainly for garnishes & tiki drinks, my tip is to buy a whole pineapple & freeze most of it.

I pull out & freeze the good leaves. I take them from the freezer & run them under cold water before putting them in the drink as a garnish - they look fresh.

I freeze sticks of fresh pineapple for later use in blended drinks like Missionarys Downfalls or Boo Loos with no ill effects (just carefully cut them up a bit more before you blend them), although, you cant skewer 'em as easy the fresh & pineapple loses its consistency if you were to thaw it back out.

Then I eat some, cook some, barbecue some, whatever - pineapples are not just for tiki drinks!

Anyone got any easy tips on how to carve citrus shapes or using flowers as a garnish?

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-03-10 9:55 pm   Permalink

AorA,
I’ve always used fresh pineapple (readily available all year here in California) I use the “leaves” the first day but toss them after that cause they quickly look kinda shriveled up. Mahalo for the tip! Impatiens, violets, gardenias, orchids, “sticks” of sugar cane, and small roses have found there way into my wife’s drinks. Of course caution is the word when using any plant in your drink.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-04-01 09:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-03-10 21:55, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
...Of course caution is the word when using any plant in your drink.

You got that right!!!
We have a local plant that make lots of plumeria-looking flowers in red, pink, or white. Here is one of the white flowers in strawberry nectar (no alcohol, don’t judge me ).

What I didn’t realize though, it that plant is called Oleander and it is one of the most poisonous of commonly grown garden plants! Contains the cardiac glycosides oleandrin and oleandrigenin. After a quick trip to the ER with a gastic lavage, some nasty tasting charcoal, and extensive heart monitoring, that is a mistake I will never make again!

TikiTacky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-01 09:17 am   Permalink

When I was a kid my mom saw me eating the berries off the bush in the back yard. Turns out it was nightshade. A trip to the ER and some ipecac syrup and I'm still here. To this day, I wonder: who the hell grows nightshade in the back yard? :/

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikilongbeach
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-01 10:55 am   Permalink

Yikes Mike!

Three Dots and a Dash in Chicago appears to do some cool garnishes. I haven't been there yet.

View Profile of tikilongbeach Send a personal message to tikilongbeach      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-04-01 12:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-04-01 09:00, MadDogMike wrote:

Oh dear, is that recent?

If you are alive & well... can we make jokes now?

Quote:
On 2014-04-01 10:55, tikilongbeach wrote:

I am inspired by Three Dots (the bar), Im not ashamed to admit that I bit that particular garnish for my Three Dots & a Dash cocktail at home:

You've gotta do the ...- garnish anyway (its the rules), using a frozen pineapple chunk & leaves means you've always got them in... just slice a little extra orange when you are juicing it... & volia. I just need some better photography skills now...

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-04-01 12:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-04-01 12:08, AdOrAdam wrote:
I just need some better photography skills now...

No, you've just about got it already.

Put a place mat or something down underneath your cocktails, something in a similar color/shade as your backdrop.

Get a second light source, one on each side generally, and you'll be totally rocking the cocktails and garnish photos!

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation