FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The Art of Cocktail Embellishment - The Garnish
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
The Art of Cocktail Embellishment - The Garnish
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-04 2:53 pm   Permalink

I don't know why, but before I read what they were I thought those were from mangosteens.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KrakenHunterSteve
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-05-11 5:56 pm   Permalink

While these aren't exactly the specialty garnishes normally posted here, it was suggested that I upload the garnish for my Big Moai Mai Tai:

Juice of three limes
Juice of one lemon
3 oz Creole Shrub
3 oz Orgeat
1 cup Appleton V/X
1 cup Rhum JM VSOP

Shake with 3 pounds crushed ice and pour. Garnish with Bird of Paradise, leaf attached, Sprig of Jasmine, and a really long straw.

View Profile of KrakenHunterSteve Send a personal message to KrakenHunterSteve  Email KrakenHunterSteve     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-11 6:08 pm   Permalink

Wow
That's freekin huge
Awesome

Cheers

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-11 6:36 pm   Permalink

Holy Moai!!!!!!!

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-11 10:26 pm   Permalink

Go big or go home!

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2014-05-12 09:01 am   Permalink

Holy Moly! That's a big drinkie-poo! Gives you a workout while you drink it then . . . time for a nappy-poo!

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-05-12 7:35 pm   Permalink

was there a drink? i only noticed a good-looking woman...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-16 1:32 pm   Permalink

Here are some video demonstrations of creating fancy garnishes:

http://liquor.com/articles/5-easy-fancy-garnishes/

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-05-29 1:21 pm   Permalink

I thought of something new to try out as a garnish - a cookie cutter.

So I got some:

I used a muddler to tap one into a piece of pineapple skin, cut round & voila:

The pineapple skin was a little thick & the garnish may be a little better in a punch bowl but it's something fun to try

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahiki Guy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2015-05-29 2:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-05-29 13:21, AdOrAdam wrote:
I thought of something new to try out as a garnish - a cookie cutter.

So I got some:

I used a muddler to tap one into a piece of pineapple skin, cut round & voila:

The pineapple skin was a little thick & the garnish may be a little better in a punch bowl but it's something fun to try

Good idea! easy and festive.

View Profile of Kahiki Guy Send a personal message to Kahiki Guy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2015-06-10 10:45 am   Permalink

This was posted on another garnish thread, thought I would add it here for posterity

Quote:

On 2015-05-20 11:56, Thrift Tiki wrote:
I like sweet --not overly sweet--tiki drinks and have been experimenting with these hibiscus flowers in syrup.
They are pretty interesting and can be found at BevMo and I am sure other booze warehouses.

The syrup tastes good in daiquiris and we even made a hibiscus mai tai that was rather awesome.
Just a suggestion!

I tried it out in champagne and they were pretty good, look like baby squids

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Toddmc

Posted: 2015-06-14 5:05 pm   Permalink

I thought my flaming skull was fancy, but some of these put it to shame.

View Profile of Toddmc Send a personal message to Toddmc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 21 days ago; 11:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-05-04 10:24, AdOrAdam wrote:
Not necessarily a garnish, but presentation related; For a while now I had been thinking of getting a VacuVin Pineapple Corer - I got one & put it to work:

The begining:

The end:

Easy peasy

My pineapple corer just broke on me. The little buttons you push to separate the plastic handle from the coring apparatus snapped off. Not sure if it was a Vacu Vin or a knockoff but it worked great while it lasted. The ones I'm seeing from Vacuvin on Amazon all appear to be plastic and only $10 with three different size attachments which seems a good deal. The last one I had was stainless though. Anyone know if there is an advantage to getting a metal one over plastic? Other brands have stainless ones for slightly more money.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 20 days ago; 07:40 am   Permalink

I got this one from QVC for $15. The shaft and blade are stainless steel and it comes with a silicone cover for the blade that can also be used to cover the cut top of the pineapple. So if you only want to use a few slices at a time, you can leave the rest in the pineapple and put it in the fridge without it oxidizing. Honestly, I haven't used the slicer yet, but it seems like it will do a pretty good job, assuming the plastic handle doesn't break. Most of the customer reviews are very good. Unfortunately, they don't currently have it in stock, but items that are this popular usually come back at some point.
http://www.qvc.com/Stainless-Steel-Pineapple-Slicer-with-SiliconeCover-Green.product.K42051.html?upsh=1&sc=K42051-CSWB

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 20 days ago; 12:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-07-07 23:06, mikehooker wrote:
My pineapple corer just broke on me. The little buttons you push to separate the plastic handle from the coring apparatus snapped off. Not sure if it was a Vacu Vin or a knockoff but it worked great while it lasted

My first corer broke the same way after a few uses. I looked at the stainless steel Vacu Vin pineapple corer - the catch is the same. I just got another plastic one & use it (infrequently) with care.

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2015 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation