FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food The Art of Cocktail Embellishment - The Garnish
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
The Art of Cocktail Embellishment - The Garnish
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-09 10:46 am   Permalink

After all this talk about pineapple slicers I found this at the 99 c store. Haven't tried yet.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-07-09 12:13 pm   Permalink

Damn, I just ordered the $10 plastic Vacuvin one off Amazon last night. Didn't think to check the dollar store! Oh well, mine comes with three different size attachments which should come in handy. My previous one only had one size and often times a lot of "meat" would be left inside a fatter pineapple when I go to pull it out.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
El Jefe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-07-09 3:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-07-09 10:46, hiltiki wrote:

After all this talk about pineapple slicers I found this at the 99 c store. Haven't tried yet.

Wow. That's looks just like the OXO brand one I bought last year for $20.

View Profile of El Jefe Send a personal message to El Jefe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-09-16 01:07 am   Permalink

Maybe this is too avant garde for tiki drinks but still very cool (pun intended ) Saw it in a YouTube video and had to try it out myself (these pics are from the YouTube video)

91% rubbing alcohol is placed in an insulated container and dry ice added. After a few minutes the alcohol starts to thicken a bit and reaches a temperature of -107F

Rinse the inside of balloons to rid them of talc. Your drink of choice is placed in a sport top water bottle and squeezed into the balloon, the balloon is tied off.

The filled balloon is placed in the cooling bath. BE SURE NOT TO SPLASH YOURSELF! The alcohol is VERY cold and will stick to you like napalm. The video states it will take "about a minute" but that wasn't my experience. Non alcoholic fruit juice took about 2-3 minutes and the pre-made Margaritas I had laying around took about 10 minutes. I just placed the balloons in the solution and fished them out by the "tail" with tongs. You can gently squeeze it to see how firm the shell is.

Dry off the alcohol with a towel and cut the balloon off with a sharp blade or scissors

Place the sphere in a glass, poke a straw in it, and enjoy. The center remains liquid

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahiki Guy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-16 04:49 am   Permalink

I saw that video the other day as well. I immediately started wondering how I could incorporate it into some of my cocktails. I'm thinking perhaps a painkiller or something with lots of juices in it could potentially be turned into the cocktail ice ball. With Halloween coming up, I'll be purchasing a bit of dry ice, so I'll have to give it a try and post my results.

View Profile of Kahiki Guy Send a personal message to Kahiki Guy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2015-09-16 05:57 am   Permalink

I used a couple of pounds of dry ice and a couple quarts of alcohol - total about $8

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahiki Guy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-16 09:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-09-16 05:57, MadDogMike wrote:
I used a couple of pounds of dry ice and a couple quarts of alcohol - total about $8

Sounds good...Mahalo!

View Profile of Kahiki Guy Send a personal message to Kahiki Guy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AdOrAdam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-21 12:38 pm   Permalink

Frozen balls in your drink?!

Here's one I've come up with:

I brought a twig of fake orchids, cut the flowers off (leaving a short stem) & inserted the remaining short stem into a straw that was cut to the required length:

I popped one in my Mai Tai & voila; there's an orchid in my Mai Tai

View Profile of AdOrAdam Send a personal message to AdOrAdam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2015-09-21 1:27 pm   Permalink

Nice idea! This is how you handle a situation where you invite people over spur-of-the-moment and don't have time to run out and get fresh garnishes. You just gotta keep the garnishes squeaky clean and appealing, or use fresh ones every time.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2016-01-01 11:20 am   Permalink

Star Fruit or Carambola makes a quick and exotic tropical garnish

AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-19 1:47 pm   Permalink

I'm sharing that this device is out there for anyone who owns one of those fancy-schmancy tabletop mixers. Not sure how well it works, especially for hard-skinned limes and lemons. But if it does, COOL! It's widely available for about $100, but only as an attachment to the tabletop mixer.

I know one of these mixers is showing up at my home in the not too distant future, so I may be tempted to get the dang thing soon thereafter. We'll see... Can't say I'd buy it unless I knew specifically ahead of time that it would work decently well with citrus fruits.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki

Posted: 2016-04-19 2:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Can't say I'd buy it unless I knew specifically ahead of time that it would work decently well with citrus fruits.

QVC has a 30-day refund policy. Return for whatever reason even if you've used it every day for 29 days. You only pay the shipping cost (both ways) if you return it.
Spiralizer

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-19 3:44 pm   Permalink

Unless you need like a mile of them, you can usually get by with a hand tool. We have a Straw Hat barman that can do a pretty good job getting quite a bit of mileage out of a single fruit:

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2016-04-20 08:13 am   Permalink

Yup, in other words, a big (and expensive) hammer for a small nail.

Sure could help if you had a big event.

mikehooker

Posted: 2016-06-09 1:23 pm   Permalink

Fun and informative video about Lost Lake's garnishes as told and demonstrated by Paul and Shelby:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNv8hN1NA_I

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation