FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Oceanic Art, SDMA, Jan. 31, 2009-Jan. 3, 2010
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Oceanic Art, SDMA, Jan. 31, 2009-Jan. 3, 2010
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-08 10:12 pm   Permalink

The SDMArt website doesn't list a price for this catalog, is it reasonable?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-02-08 10:51 pm   Permalink

I waited to go into the gift shop... the lady never showed up. I gave up after waiting 15 minutes. (and this was after I walked the entire museum). I never got to check the price on the catalogue.

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hodadhank
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-03 6:34 pm   Permalink

The exhibit is very nice and yes there is plenty of whimsical Sepik art. Kinda like walking around in Kinny's brain and who wouldn't wanna do that, but there's also a fine selection of rarities from the Solomons, New Ireland, Fiji, the Australs, Cooks, Marquesas, Rapa Nui, Hawaii and New Zealand as well as a few curious additions from the Philippines and Taiwan that seem to fit well in this exhibitor's particular vision. If wonderful examples of exotic Pacific Figures, Tapas, Jewelry, Ceramics and Weaponry are of any interest to you I'd recommend visiting the SDMA.

Curator Ellis' pedigree is indisputable and the exhibit catalog is a respectable 130 page full color affair. Well worth the twenty bucks if you ask me and you've really got to $upport these things if San Diego is to deserve such exhibitions in the future.

BTW, Just across the hall is an installation of African female imagery from antiquity to the contemporary. There's ALSO an interesting exhibit at the Museum of Man called Gods & Gold with breathtaking displays of historic Mezo American art and sculpture AND upstairs there's a few hundred Peruvian skulls.

Not a wasted afternoon.

View Profile of hodadhank Send a personal message to hodadhank      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-19 09:49 am   Permalink

i too, got busted by the Picture Nazis. i did get one snapshot, then i got a lecture. then i tried again and was admonished harshly.. oops. heh.

this is a nice exhibit, nothing as wonderful as the deYoung's permenant Oceanic Arts wing. its great that they offer a book, at a reasonable price. 20 dollars. nice! and souvineer postcards for free!

deYoung only had the 2 volume, 400 dollar book.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-19 09:57 am   Permalink

i need to get down there!!!!!
Anyone up here in OC wanna drive?
We should get an OC Tiki crew roadtrip down there!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-19 10:02 am   Permalink

LLT,
I usually go down to SD once or twice a month.
but its for surf shows,so if you want to car pool, you'd have to see the bands too, or just sit in the truck.

I'm heading down there sun. March 29th.
if they are open on a sun.
the show I am gonna see is sun evening at 4 pm ish.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kiki von Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-19 10:39 am   Permalink

I'm always open to a road trip, but my calendar is getting pretty full for the next couple of months. 1. Museum exhibit, 2. go visit and shop at Freaky Boutiki, 3. dinner and lovely cocktails at Bali Hai . . . maybe meet up with some of the San Diego TC peeps? THAT sounds like a perfect day! Any takers?

MUSEUM HOURS
Tuesday through Saturday,
10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Sunday, 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.

1450 El Prado
Balboa Park
San Diego, California

[ This Message was edited by: Kiki von Tiki 2009-03-19 10:42 ]

View Profile of Kiki von Tiki Send a personal message to Kiki von Tiki  Email Kiki von Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-19 10:59 am   Permalink

Well, the show is up til 2010
so we all got plenty of time!
a caravan day may be quite fun
but sorry Jeff
most surf bands get on my nerves....
like you!

www.kinnyruzic.com Art Blogs Wishes Fulfilled!
I'm on Facebook too! under my real name Ken Ruzic
Yeeeeeeeah!

View Profile of little lost tiki Send a personal message to little lost tiki  Email little lost tiki Goto the website of little lost tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-19 11:01 am   Permalink

then stop hugging me, every time we see each other.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-19 11:04 am   Permalink

i can't!
I hate going to Disneyland
but love to hug EEYORE...

and you're the next best thing!

tropicali*honey
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2009-03-19 6:34 pm   Permalink

I went Tuesday. Every third Tuesday this museum is free. There was a lot of Melanesia art, but overall there was a lot of great stuff. We followed a docent training another woman as a tour guide, so I found out a lot of interesting facts that I wouldn't have otherwise known. The placards listed by the items are pretty lacking on info, so I would suggest a tour or buy the $20 book to go into the exhibit with to make it more informational.
Here's the free postcard image-Don't forget to grab one by the door on your way in or out. I had a hard time finding them-they were kinda hidden.

View Profile of tropicali*honey Send a personal message to tropicali*honey  Email tropicali*honey Goto the website of tropicali*honey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-20 1:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-02-08 20:32, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
I knew that as soon as I saw that line in the show description that they wouldn't let you take any pictures. I guess they consider picture taking to be like robbing them of their catalog sales. We should steal a catalog from the gift shop and post it online just to show them greedy bastards!

Stealing is part of our Tiki heritage. Just pretend it's an old Don the Beachcomber menu.

Which always brings to mind WHAT amount of robbery and stealing was going on to obtain these original pieces, and how do the original native artists feel about the value increase that they have no benefit from.

That's why I always say go with Polynesian (and Oceanic) pop, it is American made, and most of the designs are altered by the mainland artists, so there is no appropriation of design issue.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-08-15 9:04 pm   Permalink

I checked out the exhibit the a couple of days ago. It seems a little small (100 objects) and heavily PNG (that's OK, I like PNG). But it's well rounded in the variety of objects shown (masks, figures, weapons, tapa, etc)

I bought the 128 page catalog for $25, it will make a nice addition to my research library. OK, it's the first book in my "research library" Big, beautiful, clear photos and a little blurb on each object. No Buzzy, I won't scan and post the whole catalog, but if someone wants something scanned, let me know (better send me a PM, I may not see it here)

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
little lost tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-02 11:55 am   Permalink

Le BUMP!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation