FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Is it cool 2 be real?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Is it cool 2 be real?
PoiBoy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-03-19 11:48 am   Permalink

That is funny....or sick....or both. lol
em, no offense, but i think you missed the point a bit. Seems to me they were knocking the contrast of the website and its intended purpose not meat in general.

[ This Message was edited by: PoiBoy on 2003-03-19 11:50 ]

View Profile of PoiBoy Send a personal message to PoiBoy  Email PoiBoy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-19 12:01 pm   Permalink

"...load up on Bovine Growth Hormone..."

"Isn't it cool 2 destroy the Amazon?"

"...generous helpings of hormone laden beef and dairy...when these kids are 300 lbs. and sue McDonalds..."

"...a nice serving of cow's blood, fortified with Vitamin F..."

Poi's good food too of course. But yes, I think another agenda besides website criticism was being served here.

And in the end, like everything else besides love, it really kinda doesn't matter, so I'll just shut up now and go have some meat or meatlike substitutes cuz lunchtime is here. Gotta fulfill my role as an apex predator (okay: scavenger).

, em.

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PoiBoy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-03-19 12:31 pm   Permalink

I'm sorry but I just see them using sarcasm and exaggeration for humorous purposes. Maybe I'm wrong. At any rate, enjoy that meat, em.
~poi

[ This Message was edited by: PoiBoy on 2003-03-19 13:22 ]

View Profile of PoiBoy Send a personal message to PoiBoy  Email PoiBoy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-19 1:08 pm   Permalink

Aaarrrgghghmeat! Gnarf, gnarf! Lord Shiva, it was good!

Anyway I may as well admit I have an agenda too. I joined Tiki Central because I figured I'd find folks who also believe the Good Word: it's okay to be happy. I am saddened though to find that not all are really feeling that day-to-day joy down in their hearts. But let me just witness for a minute here: you can overcome the effects of three decades of life-denying, joy-killing propaganda from - well, sorry but there's no other term - losers who have been psychologically ripped up by envy of people who are happy, comfortable, and enjoy the occasional chunk of animal flesh while driving their big, flashy town cars, SUVs, and zippy sports machines.

How such rancorous, disappointed, vengeful little people managed to get such a wolverine-like grip on the psyche of America (and naturally my country since we do everything you guys do) is one for the history books, but I'll leave that job to the future. Journalists, of course, are the main conduit, God love 'em. Time was, the lone nut with the "Doom is Coming!" sandwich board was ignored, but you can't do that anymore, because now he is millions of nuts, not lone any more, but a Movement (and I use the word in every sense you can imagine): The Doom Movement.

Fight it! Ignore it! Turn off the news and have a Mai-Tai! Not in despair but in celebration! Cross-reference my posts in the "Is this politics or art? (POLITICS, READ AT OWN RISK)" thread! It's time we founded our own Movement, and dislodged the constipated mass of propaganda that we've lived with every waking day for thirty years! I live in a city where the junkie who mugs your Granny gets far more sympathy than your Granny, I know what I'm talking about here, folks. Correctness is the fastest route to an uncomfortable and embarassing trip up your own sphincter to face those awful clogs, FIGHT IT!!!

much aloha,
em.

P.S. I apologize for the scatalogical metaphors.

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-03-19 1:20 pm   Permalink

I love children, they taste like chicken...

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-19 1:22 pm   Permalink

Children are okay, but it's whale sashimi for me every time.

, em

tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-19 1:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-03-19 13:08, emspace wrote:
I joined Tiki Central because I figured I'd find folks who also believe the Good Word: it's okay to be happy.

But, but, but I AM happy not eating beef, and riding my bicycle around town instead of driving.
I'm not denying myself any pleasure at all! And I think anyone who has met me can assure you that even though I don't eat hotdogs, I still know how to have a good time. The two things aren't mutually exclusive. Sheesh!

Thank you, I'll hop off my wee soap box now!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-19 1:37 pm   Permalink

Well Tikifish, I never denied you are happy. Just so the meat-consumption (and fossil-fuel consumption) habits of others don't make you unhappy. It is so completely against the spirit of those innocent forefathers of ours, yes, the ones who created Polynesian pop! Live and let live, O Tikifish!

My Gawd, we could open a whole new can of worms here: are we "trying to recreate the classic era of Tiki", or "trying to shoehorn the classic era of Tiki into a world ravished by guilt of things like meat, alcohol, and big-car consumption"...the mind reels...

I don't think I'm up to that. Besides, some dude from Shaw Cable is coming to swap out my modem, and I have to paint a dresser. I should shut down. I'm afraid to come back and look at this later...gulp!

Hope I haven't offended, I really just want everyone to be happier and less judgmental of each other...really!

aloha big-time,
em.

cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-19 2:04 pm   Permalink

I love children -- they're yummier than veal and foie gras.

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-19 2:04 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: purple jade 2006-03-20 21:34 ]

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
manic cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-19 2:18 pm   Permalink

It reminds me of when I was a vegetarian back in the day during high school, my physics teacher telling me that he wasn't surprised--statistically, pre-teen/teenage girls were the population group with highest percentage of vegetarians. The meat industry probably has the same information and is doing some Barbie marketing.

View Profile of manic cat Send a personal message to manic cat  Email manic cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-19 2:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-03-19 14:04, purple jade wrote:It's funny you think that, to use a term from another thread, "health-nazis" are spouting propaganda, but you don't think the beef people...

Hi purplejade,

nope, I never said I didn't think the meat people weren't spouting propaganda. I refrained from mentioning them at all. Just that most people's negative responses to meat are a result of propaganda, not from the medical community, but the aforementioned rancorous disappointed vengeful people. The Doom Movement.

Er...and I'm quite regular thanx. That nonsense about meat creating permanent clogs in your bowel is just that. An urban myth, perpetrated by The Doom Movement once again. If ya don't believe me, next time yer in a hospital ask to see some barium fluoroscopies of a lifelong meat-eater's colon. If nothing else, the looks on their faces will be worth it.

peace out, or should I say "Logout",
em

emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-19 2:34 pm   Permalink

Erp, too many negatives in that last one's first sentence. Now it's my head that's getting clogged. But yer probably right; nobody meant in any way to imply that there was something wrong with eating meat in any of those posts. Nuff said, already!

l8r d00dz as they say in cyberland,
em

hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-19 2:35 pm   Permalink

It's 24 hours after I first saw that website and I'm still laughing!

Hidden Agenda aside, the website appears to not have any Visible Agenda. The message seems to be self-referencing: To be cool, you gotta be real. To be real, you gotta be cool. There's not even a spice girl "Girl power!" fake message there ... it's not about girls standing up for themselves, it's about girls being, well, um, real. Whatever that means.

Dogbytes: I found this web through some business article about dumbest business moves of 2002. I think this was in the top 20.

emspace: Take a deep breath ... relax. No one's forcing a veggie-agenda on you here. I don't think the negative comments on beef here translate to "Tiki Central must go veggie".

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-03-19 2:47 pm   Permalink

Thanx Hanford, yes, breathe...like the lovely song in the new Mistubishi commercial advises...hey, at least we could coin a new word here: "vegenda", short for veggie-agenda.

I should explain to all that my sensitivity in this area comes from the fact of an ALF splinter-group located here in Vancouver having sent a mailbomb to my uncle, a cattle breeder in Calgary. Fortunately he's suspicious of packages from unknown senders and was only blown through a wall of his office, having opened it with some kinda stick (probably a hockey stick, pardon the attempt to lighten things up). So, they failed to kill him. They did "take responsiblity" in the Newspeak parlance, but have never been caught.

So though I support everyone's right to nourish and transport themselves as they see fit (because fundamentally I am for people expressing their uniqueness, precisely what Correctness is attempting to eliminate), I am and always will be leery of activism in most of its forms. To paraphrase Yoda, activism leads to extremism, extremism leads to hate, and hate leads to suffering.

love to all,
em.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation