[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Mai Kai - Jet Pilot
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Mai Kai - Jet Pilot
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-19 08:21 am   Permalink

Has anyone come up with a recipe that tastes close to the Mai Kai's Jet Pilot?

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-19 09:07 am   Permalink

Good question. All I could find was this on Kaiser Penguin http://www.kaiserpenguin.com/jet-pilot/, probably one you may know already from BB Berry 'Sippin Safari'. I would also like to know the recipes to the Mai Kai Zombie and Mai Tai.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-19 11:45 am   Permalink

The Mai Kai Jet Pilot is a unique creation of Mario Licudine, and quite different in taste from the Bum's, which has been painstakingly reconstructed according to the research of other recipes of that time. I don't think the Mai Kai version uses cinnamon syrup, and I think it's considerably stronger than the Bum version, but that's my subjective analysis.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-19 2:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-19 08:21, Tonga Tiki wrote:
Has anyone come up with a recipe that tastes close to the Mai Kai's Jet Pilot?

Define "close".................

The Bum's recipe is 'the' recipe as it existed for its introduction to the Mai-Kai menu. It doesn't quite match what you get from the bar today, which depends entirely on which bartender is mixing on the particular night you are there.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-21 3:22 pm   Permalink

Has anyone else noticed that the ingredients for Jet Pilot recipe in "Sippin' Safari" are identical to the Zombie Punch, just different measurements?

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-22 7:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-10-21 15:22, arriano wrote:
Has anyone else noticed that the ingredients for Jet Pilot recipe in "Sippin' Safari" are identical to the Zombie Punch, just different measurements?

Yup,

Don's recipe was there for everyone to see. Me thinks some filopenos had some gooood memories.

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-10-23 11:19 pm   Permalink

I prefer the Jet Pilot to the '34 Zombie. I find it just a bit smoother and more balanced. Although I do like the '34 Zombie, its my favorite Zombie recipe. Heads & shoulders above the recipes that use Maraschino Liqueur, such as the Speivak recipe IMHO.

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Anestiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-09-08 06:22 am   Permalink

I went to the Mai Kai last weekend and had a couple jet pilots...outstanding.

To me the difference with this versus the Beachbum recipe was a distinct taste of honey. Also, I didn't taste the presence of Lemon Hart Rum.

Last night I tried the following recipe with good results:

1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz grapefruit juice
1/2 oz falernum
1/2 oz honey mix
1 tsp cinnamon syrup
1 1/2 oz Bacardi gold rum
1 1/2 oz coruba rum
6 drops Pernod
dash angostura bitters

Anestiki

View Profile of Anestiki Send a personal message to Anestiki  Email Anestiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-07 2:43 pm   Permalink

Anestiki, wow, you're so close. I just tweaked a few ingredients and posted the Jet Pilot as my latest Mai-Kai cocktail review. I have a source that tells me there's no grapefruit, but everything else appears to be correct.

Check out the full story behind the Jet Pilot here:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/02/07/mai-kai-cocktail-review-jet-pilot-soars-over-its-ancestors-with-flying-colors/

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-10 07:22 am   Permalink

Tried this last night--great job at approximating that special Mai-Kai "thing". The cinnamon and honey compliment each other well; not too sweet at all and impart Donn Beach-level complexity. The Atomic Grog Shrunken Skull and Jet Pilots are now in my rotation.

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-12 9:26 pm   Permalink

Mahalo, Kill Devil. I'm glad you're enjoying the recipes. Another one we recently added after much research (and help from Anestiki) is a tribute to the Shark Bite:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/08/17/mai-kai-cocktail-review-what-makes-the-shark-bite-so-jawesome/#tribute

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-13 07:52 am   Permalink

Although I've been to the Mai Kai many times over the years I've only managed to order from the "Strong" side of the drink menu and have thus missed many of the gems (past & present) you've paid tribute to, so keep up the good work!

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-13 7:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-09-08 06:22, Anestiki wrote:
I went to the Mai Kai last weekend and had a couple jet pilots...outstanding.

To me the difference with this versus the Beachbum recipe was a distinct taste of honey. Also, I didn't taste the presence of Lemon Hart Rum.

Last night I tried the following recipe with good results:

1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz grapefruit juice
1/2 oz falernum
1/2 oz honey mix
1 tsp cinnamon syrup
1 1/2 oz Bacardi gold rum
1 1/2 oz coruba rum
6 drops Pernod
dash angostura bitters

Anestiki

That sounds like a very tasty version, as soon as my next batch of falernum is ready I'm gonna try it!

As to the Jet Pilot at the Mai Kai.... no grapefruit.

Lime, passion, honey and four kinds of rum with the usual dash of bitters for good measure.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-14 6:46 pm   Permalink

Tried the Atomic Grog Mai Kai Jet Pilot. Very nice, loved the honey and Falernum and Pernod flavors with a little touch of cinnamon.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-30 4:49 pm   Permalink

I tried the Atomic Grog version of the Mai Kai Jet Pilot. It is currently my favorite drink. I had a party over the weekend and turned a whole bunch of people onto it. The honey mix makes it very accessible. I used Cruzan Gold and Caruba Dark Rum. I have made Jet Pilots quite a bit using the traditional recipe, but my latest Mai Kai visit pushed me to try their version. Quite frankly I am no fan of grapefruit juice anyway ....gives me a headache even before I've had too many.

It was interesting to see some people's reaction to a complex, quality rum drink. To some...the crappy rum runner at the beach or Rum and Coke is all they have experienced. It sparked the conversation for me to discuss the different tastes and qualities of rums in my inventory. I believe I converted many....

[ This Message was edited by: Tonga Tiki 2012-04-30 16:51 ]

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation