FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Mai Kai - Jet Pilot
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Mai Kai - Jet Pilot
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-01 6:28 pm   Permalink

While I've not has a Mai Kai Jet pilot I've made the Bum's/Beachcomber version (the undercover Zombie) quite often with the following substitutions: I use 1.5 oz of dark Jamaican- usually Appleton Estates 12, 3/4oz of Eldorado 12, and 3/4oz of Bacardi 151. I do this because I am unable to get Lemon Hart 151 in my area (But I'm working on it!) and for the drink to be of "Beachcomber" caliber, it needs the demerara flavor and that 151 jolt.
That being said, I've also made quite a few of the Atomic Grog version of the Mai Kai's Jet Pilot, and I use the same rum mix as described above for the same reasons. I also use Absinthe instead of Pernod in both versions. The Atomic Grog version is a drink I enjoy equally with the Beachcomber version - they both have their unique flavor profile and both balance equally on my quality scale.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-05 7:26 pm   Permalink

Your Beachcomber version sounds good. I will utilize some of my stash of LH 151 to try it out..

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-15 3:13 pm   Permalink

With Lemon Hart 151 now back in the bars of The Mai-Kai, the Jet Pilot has become turbo-charged ...

The review and tribute recipe are updated accordingly ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/02/07/mai-kai-cocktail-review-jet-pilot-soars-over-its-ancestors-with-flying-colors/#tribute

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-16 2:05 pm   Permalink

Just when we thought we had it down pat, we get a curveball. But it was fortunate that Mai-Kai manager Kern Mattei chose to feature the Jet Pilot in last week's Mai-Kai Mixer flights. We learned much more about the drink and its ingredients. Here's a full recap of the event:
www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/06/16/cocktail-flights-soar-at-mai-kai-mixer-reveal-revolutionary-use-of-rums/

We found out that indeed it has four rums (as Chip and Andy said) and that they are (Lemon Hart 151, Kohala Bay dark Jamaican, gold Puerto Rican, and light Puerto Rican). Also, the only fresh juice contained in the drink is lime juice. So scratch the OJ.

Back to the drawing board, we came up with a retooled tribute that you can find here:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/02/07/mai-kai-cocktail-review-jet-pilot-soars-over-its-ancestors-with-flying-colors/#tribute

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-03 10:12 am   Permalink

Just to confuse matters, one more update on the Jet Pilot. I tweaked the latest version and came up with a sweeter, less intense (but still very strong) version I'm calling 3.5 ...

It also features a new substitution suggestion for fassionola, which works very well in this and a few other Mai-Kai cocktails.

Mahalo!

Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-21 6:05 pm   Permalink

I was able to order Kohala Bay Dark Rum locally. Had to buy a case of it, but it should ensure the ability to replicate my Mai Kai Jet Pilot for quite awhile. It doesn't arrive till next week so that whole Mayan end of the world thing better not happen- or I'm going to be pissed! The same store has been stocking Smith and Cross also. Now if it could only start carrying Lemonhart 151 I would be set forever.

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-21 6:45 pm   Permalink

Tonga,

Lemon Hart's Florida distributor is BMC Fine Spirits.

Aloha!

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-21 10:12 pm   Permalink

Tonga-- what store???

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-22 09:50 am   Permalink

Total Wine across from Countryside Mall....

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-23 7:12 pm   Permalink

thanks, havent noticed at at the Total Wine in tampa yet. next time i'm up there in clearwater (Skyline Chili run maybe) i'll drop by the countryside store...

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-12-24 11:10 am   Permalink

Regarding Total Wine: They do not carry, nor will they order Lemon Hart 151 - they don't deal with that distributor. I know-I've tried. They will get Kohala Bay and Coruba for you and they normally stock Smith and Cross.

GH

[ This Message was edited by: gentlehangman 2012-12-24 18:48 ]

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-03 1:52 pm   Permalink

Well my attempt to get Kohala Bay Dark Rum (Punch Dagger) from Total Wine was a failure. They thought they could order it, but they could not get it and apologized. However I was able to acquire some today, but have been sworn to secrecy. I did not purchase it in
Tampa or online. Follow the clues like I did and maybe you can locate the source...

[ This Message was edited by: Tonga Tiki 2013-04-05 08:40 ]

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-04 10:37 am   Permalink

i think i've seen the Kohala on store shelf somewhere- will advise when i locate.

any flawdy Lemon Hart sources anybody?

Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-04 11:21 am   Permalink

A good friend acquired a bottle, but I can't divulge his source. Unfortunately, I won't be able to use the same source. Would love to get one while I'm down for Hukilau.

Guess I'll have to follow the clues...

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Thortiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-04-05 02:21 am   Permalink

Went to the Mai-Kai last night.Tried the now LH 151 charged Jet Pilot. WOW a great drink has now become an even greater tasting drink. This coupled with the atmosphere of the Mai-Kai & their welcoming staff makes all the difference. Thortiki

View Profile of Thortiki Send a personal message to Thortiki  Goto the website of Thortiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation