[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Mai Kai - Jet Pilot
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Mai Kai - Jet Pilot
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-08 1:54 pm   Permalink

I'm determined to get a bottle of two of Kohala Bay when I'm down there for Hukilau. I'm pouring over The Atomic Grog and threads on here for clues...

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-05-09 06:37 am   Permalink

Folks going down to Hukilau should make it their mission to convince the makers/suppliers of Kohala that they could stand to make some $$$ if they'd just get the word out, yes???

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vince Martini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-07 10:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-02-13 19:12, Chip and Andy wrote:
Quote:

On 2011-09-08 06:22, Anestiki wrote:
I went to the Mai Kai last weekend and had a couple jet pilots...outstanding.

To me the difference with this versus the Beachbum recipe was a distinct taste of honey. Also, I didn't taste the presence of Lemon Hart Rum.

Last night I tried the following recipe with good results:

1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz grapefruit juice
1/2 oz falernum
1/2 oz honey mix
1 tsp cinnamon syrup
1 1/2 oz Bacardi gold rum
1 1/2 oz coruba rum
6 drops Pernod
dash angostura bitters

Anestiki

That sounds like a very tasty version, as soon as my next batch of falernum is ready I'm gonna try it!

As to the Jet Pilot at the Mai Kai.... no grapefruit.

Lime, passion, honey and four kinds of rum with the usual dash of bitters for good measure.

Chip, seriously? No grapefruit??? And is that passion fruit (juice) or passion fruit syrup?

View Profile of Vince Martini Send a personal message to Vince Martini  Email Vince Martini Goto the website of Vince Martini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-08 08:14 am   Permalink

Lately there has been some inconsistency with the bartenders at the Mai Kai. It just depends what night you go on. That being said when its Friday or Saturday night they are usually right on. There is no grapefruit juice in a proper Jet Pilot. Even with their Zombie there should only be a hint of it (part of a quasi-Don's Mix), but recently I had one there that was overpowering with grapefruit. I am not a fan of grapefruit juice either which is unfortunate. I am now opting for the 151 swizzle which is more like a 1934 Zombie than their namesake.

The Atomic Grog tribute Jet Pilots..both versions are great and what I stick with at home. I brought a liter of it pre-mixed with me to the Hukilau this year. I have a case of the big bottles of Kahula Bay Dark Rum now and that should last quite awhile.

Looking foreward to a great night at the Mai Kai

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-06-10 10:17 pm   Permalink

If anyone needs to know where to find Kohala Bay in South Florida, just send me a private message.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-05 2:03 pm   Permalink

Just tried a Jet Pilot from the Moano/Turnbow recipe book from '63. The first thing I noticed was it called for lemon rather than lime which was unlike any other recipe I've seen. And when comparing it to the Don/Bum recipes which call for light or gold Puerto Rican rum, this one asks for dark. I was stumped on what to use so I went with Coruba on top of the LH151 (instead of Puerto Rican 151) and the Myer's that it specifically called for (perhaps too much Jamaican dark?). All in all, it wasn't a bad drink. Complex flavors, but not a favorite to work into my rotation. I would like to experiment with the Mai Kai/Hayward tributes once I pick up some Smith & Cross since I don't think I can get Kohala Bay around here. Any suggestions on which white and gold PR rums would be best in this if I go the four rums/one fresh juice method?

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-15 12:42 am   Permalink

Mike,

You don't want the white and gold rums competing with the dark and 151 rums, so no need to use anything special. A good, solid mixing rum like Cruzan or Flor de Cana or even Don Q will be fine. The Mai-Kai may even use their well rum, which is just a cheap Cruzan product. The key is the Lemon Hart and the dark Jamaican rum. Coruba or Myers's will work in a pinch until you can find some Smith & Cross (or Kohala Bay).

Aloha!

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-15 07:44 am   Permalink

Thanks for the info. I picked up a bottle of Smith & Cross the other day which thus far I've only tried neat and in a Mai Tai. Looking forward to revisiting the Jet Pilot as you've suggested.

PS - I will likely be in South Florida next month which means mandatory happy hour at the Mai Kai if you and Susan would like to meet up with Chelsea and I. The trip will also give me an opportunity to stock up on Kohala Bay.

[ This Message was edited by: mikehooker 2014-08-15 07:48 ]

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-08-16 12:38 am   Permalink

Mike, sounds great. Send me the dates via PM, Facebook, e-mail, smoke signal, etc.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation