Thanksgiving rum drink
Staredge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-24 2:50 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-21 14:50, Chief Bartender at Brenda's Tiki Hut wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-11-21 11:46, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:
Sailor Jerry's and unfiltered apple juice. Add roast turkey and blazing fireplace. Simple, seasonal, and delicious.

Do you muddle the turkey? And doesn't the blazing fireplace make mixing difficult as well as melting the ice?

No, you squeeze the turkey then float the carcass on top of the drink with the fireplace on top!!!!

View Profile of Staredge Send a personal message to Staredge      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Connection
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-11-25 07:38 am   Permalink

Thanks all for the replies. I'm tempted to go with the muddled turkey, but the Pumpkin Pie cocktail may be a bit more user friendly. Posting it Thursday. Cheers!

www.RUMCONNECTION.COM
Daily News, Rum Reviews & Other Distractions

[ This Message was edited by: Rum Connection 2008-11-25 07:42 ]

View Profile of Rum Connection Send a personal message to Rum Connection  Goto the website of Rum Connection     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Son-of-Kelbo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-02 11:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-24 14:50, Staredge wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-11-21 14:50, Chief Bartender at Brenda's Tiki Hut wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-11-21 11:46, Son-of-Kelbo wrote:
Sailor Jerry's and unfiltered apple juice. Add roast turkey and blazing fireplace. Simple, seasonal, and delicious.

Do you muddle the turkey? And doesn't the blazing fireplace make mixing difficult as well as melting the ice?

No, you squeeze the turkey then float the carcass on top of the drink with the fireplace on top!!!!

Wise guys... Clearly (some) turkeys should be separated from the rum. And PLEASE don't mix fire and alcohol (unless you've got experience with the circus). My fault, I suppose, for not properly distinguishing atmospheric garnish from mixological suggestion.

Ah well..., I'll admit my suggestion was far from sophisticated (unless one actually does experiment with adding meat and burning wood), but don't knock it if you haven't tried it, for it's a cheery blend, and does indeed go quite nicely with a slice of turkey (on a plate) and a cozy fire (in the hearth). Merely an humble notion to muddle over...

'Appy 'Olidays, Mateys!
S K

and Tiki-times were hot..."
SOK

View Profile of Son-of-Kelbo Send a personal message to Son-of-Kelbo  Goto the website of Son-of-Kelbo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-02 1:34 pm   Permalink

Cider and rum do make an excellent holiday drink. And it's a historically accurate drink made with readily available early American ingredients.

I try and get a cider that's complex in flavor, preferably on the slightly tart side. (Always a better chance of hitting both those elements with an unfiltered.) I like to add a little spice, the easiest way to do it is a couple dashes of bitters which doesn't add more sweetness (like syrups or falernum would).

This Thanksgiving friends and I decided to do an actual meal at the last minute (5 PM Thanksgiving Day) so for a holiday themed drink I mixed 2 parts cranberry juice to one part lime-aide (more or less) with a medium bodied rum and a few dashes of orange bitters (to bring out the citrus) and aromatic bitters (to tie it all together with that "What is this?" element). It was really good, 4 of us drank a large pitcher of it.

For inside sentiment
see back of package.

[ This Message was edited by: woofmutt 2008-12-22 09:18 ]

[ This Message was edited by: woofmutt 2008-12-22 09:18 ]

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-16 8:49 pm   Permalink

Bumped because we so often need a little somethin special for those special times with the family.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-17 09:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-16 20:49, woofmutt wrote:
Bumped because we so often need A LOT of something special for those special times with the family.

Fixed for my reality!

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rugbymatt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-17 11:45 am   Permalink

I highly recommend the Queequeg's Harpoon which was the drink the FOM folks in NE invented for their MS fundraiser that featured the mug from Squid.

View Profile of rugbymatt Send a personal message to rugbymatt  Email rugbymatt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitonga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-17 3:16 pm   Permalink

I have to 2nd (or 3rd) the notion of the VooDoo Priestess. You can't go wrong with Pumpkin Pie spice. It's the drink of Halloween AND Thanksgiving as far as I'm concerned. Good stuff!

View Profile of tikitonga Send a personal message to tikitonga  Email tikitonga     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-25 12:32 pm   Permalink

Here are two recipes I like. this is a good way to use your Pimento Dram that has been sitting there looking at you wondering when you're going to use it.

Bermuda Swizzle

1 oz Martinique Rum
1 oz Jamaican Rum
1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz grape fruit juice
1/4 oz sugar syrup
1/4 oz Pimento Allspice Dram
1/2 oz Apricot Brandy

Mix and shake with crushed ice. Top extra ice if needed. I will be making this tonight.

Adam's Apple

2 oz. Applejack
1 oz. apple cider
1/2 oz. Pimento Dram yeah!
2 dashes orange bitters

Shake all ingredients with ice, strain into cocktail glass garnish with apple soaked in Brandy. this makes a good after dinner semi sweet drink tastes like apple pie..

[ This Message was edited by: hiltiki 2010-11-25 12:33 ]

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
heylownine
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-11-25 1:36 pm   Permalink

The Bermuda Swizzle sounds excellent...thanks for the suggestion.

Kevin
http://twitter.com/heylownine

View Profile of heylownine Send a personal message to heylownine  Email heylownine Goto the website of heylownine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation