FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Has anybody seen this particular tiki looking place...
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Has anybody seen this particular tiki looking place...
bladoww_chick

Posted: 2008-11-23 10:18 am   Permalink

... in or around LA? I can't find it! A bunch of us Knight Rider nerds are trying to locate places where famous scenes were shot. Any and all info greatly appreciated!

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/4101/knightriderknightofphoelm9.jpg

[ This Message was edited by: bladoww_chick 2008-11-23 10:19 ]

View Profile of bladoww_chick Send a personal message to bladoww_chick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-23 12:28 pm   Permalink

I have no way of being of help to your quest, but I salute your ingeniousness in enlisting the help of urban archeologists/tiki freaks to find an A frame, and hail you as a brother geek of a different flavor, our is for polynesian pop culture and yours for the finest talking car/detective show that television ever produced.

can anybody help them?

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-23 1:11 pm   Permalink

Whoa! THREE icons of American pop culture (David Hasselhoff, "House of the Rising Sun" , AND an A-frame) all in one image!

That "Rising Sun" sign most likely was just a prop for the show, I assume you already searched for a restaurant/Motel of that name during that period and came up empty.

The outrigger beam makes it Tiki, but the hanging driftwood board sign and the wine cellar-style/old stone lined arches make it more nautical. A fascinating challenge!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-23 1:18 pm   Permalink

For easier reference:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bladoww_chick

Posted: 2008-11-23 4:24 pm   Permalink

Lol... you guys are funny! It really stinks because even though this is a still photo, you can't really pick up on any landmarks or other identifiers in the entire scene even if you watch the show. I know this place is somewhere in LA, if it hasn't been demolished, and may be a remodeled to be a Mexican restaurant or something. Oh well, thanks for the help!!!

Btw, I did do a search for House of the Rising Sun, and I think you're right, it's probably just a prop for the show. It's a shame you can't see the sign hanging from the peak because I'm sure that has the actual name on it.

View Profile of bladoww_chick Send a personal message to bladoww_chick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. NoNaMe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-23 5:36 pm   Permalink

I thought I noticed something hanging off the outrigger beam.

Does anyone recognize it now? Or can anyone make it look mo betta? My skils are naught.

View Profile of Mr. NoNaMe Send a personal message to Mr. NoNaMe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-11-23 7:13 pm   Permalink

Not much to go on but this link talks a bout the bar..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_of_the_Phoenix_(Knight_Rider_episode)

and I found an image of it with the new roof...

I tried...

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-11-23 9:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-23 17:36, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:

Does anyone recognize it now? Or can anyone make it look mo betta? My skils are naught.

How about the Parking Restrictions sign? Sometimes they list cities. Can anyone clean up that image?
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-23 11:41 pm   Permalink

Looking at that sign close up, it now looks even less than a driftwood/nautical sign, but together with those studs in the A-frame fascia, like some medieval coat of arms, a la "Ye Olde" House of the Rising Sun. Maybe pirate themed?

By the late 60s, A-frames housed all sorts of establishments, be it Italian restaurants, car dealerships, or churches. The location/township would be somewhere in Orange County, or the Valley, I would say. The Knight rider fan club should know what the show's preferred shooting area was, like which desert. I don't think they ventured as far as Palm Springs.

bladoww_chick

Posted: 2008-11-24 04:59 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-23 19:13, beachbumz wrote:
Not much to go on but this link talks a bout the bar..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knight_of_the_Phoenix_(Knight_Rider_episode)

and I found an image of it with the new roof...

I tried...

Lol yes you did! Good find. I'm not sure if that's the building, but I did see that article on Wikipedia. It claims that this particular scene was shot in Silicon Valley, which is where the setting is supposed to be during portions of this episode. However, every other scene is shot in the greater LA area, so I'm not convinced Silicon Valley was used at all. Besides, logistically speaking, I don't know why anyone would drive that far to film this establishment.

You guys are great detectives!

[ This Message was edited by: bladoww_chick 2008-11-24 05:01 ]

bladoww_chick

Posted: 2008-11-24 05:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-23 21:13, mrsmiley wrote:
Quote:

On 2008-11-23 17:36, Mr. NoNaMe wrote:

How about the Parking Restrictions sign? Sometimes they list cities. Can anyone clean up that image?

Good call... maybe we can zoom in on that. I think there's another scene where you can see the sign in the parking lot. Maybe I should YouTube the whole scene!!!

bladoww_chick

Posted: 2008-11-24 05:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-23 23:41, bigbrotiki wrote:
Looking at that sign close up, it now looks even less than a driftwood/nautical sign, but together with those studs in the A-frame fascia, like some medieval coat of arms, a la "Ye Olde" House of the Rising Sun. Maybe pirate themed?

By the late 60s, A-frames housed all sorts of establishments, be it Italian restaurants, car dealerships, or churches. The location/township would be somewhere in Orange County, or the Valley, I would say. The Knight rider fan club should know what the show's preferred shooting area was, like which desert. I don't think they ventured as far as Palm Springs.

You may be right. I'm going to try to YouTube this scene a little later, but I can tell you the interior reminds me more of safari than tiki. In terms of locations, the show was often shot in and around Universal Studios in LA, as well as up and down Lankershim Blvd, Ventura Blvd, and in Encino around the Sepulveda Dam, etc. Also, a large part of this show was shot in Santa Clarita.

[ This Message was edited by: bladoww_chick 2008-11-24 07:22 ]

bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-24 07:53 am   Permalink

I am almost positive that this was shot from Ventura county, south, The palms are not hardy enough for any higher north.
On the wall behind the hanging sign are decorative "dots" that look medieval like Bigbro said, I think it started life as TiKi but morphed to something else. Also the rocks around the arches give it that grotto look. To bad, now it's about as tacky as Hasselhoff.

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-24 08:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-23 12:28, atomictonytiki wrote:
and hail you as a brother geek of a different flavor, our is for polynesian pop culture and yours for the finest talking car/detective show that television ever produced.

You dare to compare Polynesian Pop to...to..."Knight Rider, the finest talking car/detective show ever produced?" Run away to the Loch's, be glad that your in Scotland or the torch bearing mob would find you and hang you. You probably like the Sit-n-sleep commercials too?

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bladoww_chick

Posted: 2008-11-24 09:43 am   Permalink

Well YouTube was no help... evidently I'd be violating copywright laws.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation