FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Sonoma Syrup orgeat-anyone try this??
Sonoma Syrup orgeat-anyone try this??
Staredge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-24 3:16 pm   Permalink

Found this at a local gourmet type store

Anyone use it before? The ingredients are:

I've made mai tais with it, but as I've never had a mai tai outside of my house I really don't know how to judge the quality.

View Profile of Staredge Send a personal message to Staredge      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-11-25 08:12 am   Permalink

Looking at the ingredients, I would not be tempted to use it as a substitute for orgeat. The vanilla content exceeds the almond content, and even a little vanilla is enough to tarnish (if not ruin) the orgeat flavor. Then, of course, the color and consistency is so very not orgeat. I'm not into covering up the flavor of coffee with syrups, but it seems as though that would be the most practical use for that syrup. Also, I don't know how they get away with calling something "simple syrup" that has anything but sugar and water. Once you start enhancing it, it isn't simple any more.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-25 08:50 am   Permalink

At Oasis, I made Mai Tais all night with this one night, and they were fine. Not quite ideal, but with fresh lime, good rum, and a good orange liqueur, it's better than a crappy orgeat.

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Haole'akamai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-25 09:24 am   Permalink

Sonoma Syrups are of fabulous quality and make fabulous drink ingredients (IMHO). I'll echo others and say this isn't orgeat. If you're looking for inexpensive, but good, try Monin.

View Profile of Haole'akamai Send a personal message to Haole'akamai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TraderPeg
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-11-25 3:02 pm   Permalink

I second that emotion -- Sonoma Syrups are great. I love their Meyer Lemon, wonderful in a Tom Collins.

View Profile of TraderPeg Send a personal message to TraderPeg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-26 09:43 am   Permalink

+1 They make great syrups. They're grenadine (pomegranate) and vanilla syrups are great in cocktails. I stayed away from their orgeat because of the vanilla and the fact that it doesn't look like a real orgeat. Other than that, I'm sure it still makes for some good drinks.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Staredge
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-26 11:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-26 09:43, John Jacob wrote:
+1 They make great syrups. They're grenadine (pomegranate) and vanilla syrups are great in cocktails. I stayed away from their orgeat because of the vanilla and the fact that it doesn't look like a real orgeat. Other than that, I'm sure it still makes for some good drinks.

The vanilla seemed a little hinky to me at first, but I was reading the Mai Tai Component thread and someone mentioned putting vanilla in their simple syrup. I can taste....something....in the background of my Mai Tais, so I know it's there. Haven't had a real one anywhere else to judge it by. Guess I'll finish it up & then try another type of orgeat....see how much the taste changes.

View Profile of Staredge Send a personal message to Staredge      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rev_thumper
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-11-27 08:51 am   Permalink

The Sonoma cinnamon syrup is also top notch. A little pricey but really potent.

View Profile of rev_thumper Send a personal message to rev_thumper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shaun of theTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-06 10:33 pm   Permalink

I bought their orgeat today and it's quite awesome, it gave my Mai Tai a crisp, sweet taste. The price isn't so bad if you make orgeat-spiked cocktails only once in awhile.

View Profile of Shaun of theTiki Send a personal message to Shaun of theTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BrickHorn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-09 3:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-11-27 08:51, rev_thumper wrote:
The Sonoma cinnamon syrup is also top notch. A little pricey but really potent.

Ditto. I prefer the Sonoma to any of the cinnamon syrups I've made at home. It's potent, but works really well in polynesian cocktails.

I can second the rec for Monin almond syrup. Fee Brothers orgeat is also very good.

View Profile of BrickHorn Send a personal message to BrickHorn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation