FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Locating Tiki Ľ Ľ Mark Thomas Outrigger, Monterey, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Mark Thomas Outrigger, Monterey, CA (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-01 5:35 pm   Permalink

Name:Mark Thomas Outrigger
Type:restaurant
Street:700 Cannery Row
City:Monterey
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:

Description:
Polynesian restaurant located at the site of the old Monterey Canning Company on Cannery Row in Monterey, California. Famous for its one-of-a-kind Tiki mug.

My research found that the Outrigger was opened in 1959 by Robert Wind through a partnership. The date is also verified on the menu I have. Wind was a butterfly collector and the front part of the Monterey Canning Company building was a wholesale and retail butterfly shop. The building burned in a fire in 1978, and the Outrigger was rebuilt. Don't know when it changed names to the \"Mark Thomas Outrigger\". The last date that I found a reference to the Outrigger restaurant was 1984. In 1994 the restaurant became the Fish Hopper.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-01 5:42 pm   Permalink

The Tiki face mug from the Mark Thomas Outrigger has always been one of those iconic Tiki figures. I have acquired a few different items from this place and put this post together from my collection and from the internet.

The famous Tiki face mug

A bucket mug

A pineapple mug

Some nice postcards showing inside and outside views

I have two drink menus that have great illustrations. The first one is dated 1959 and does not have Mark Thomas in the title and does not show the signature mug in the drink illustrations.

The second one has Mark Thomas in the title and now has the mug. No date on the menu to track the change unfortunately.

I have never seen one of the tiki bowls shown on the menus that is marked with the Outrigger logo.

Here are some matchbooks

A serving plate with the lackluster "Pier" logo that was also used on the matchbooks. It's interesting that a place with such a great mug design created such an lame logo.

This is a photo of the building exterior I found on the internet - what a great view of the Monterey Bay out those windows.

Any more info out there on this place?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-12-01 6:45 pm   Permalink

It looks like Mark Thomas was the King of Monterey. He also had the Mark Thomas Inn (Not Tiki)

and there is now a Mark Thomas Drive in Monterey.

The Fish Hopper is still there and it looks like they still serve the Bucket of Fire. Iíve never been but maybe Unga Bunga has? Hey Unga, whatís the Fish Hopper like? Any pieces of itís Tiki past left in there?

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-01 10:05 pm   Permalink

Wow Great post guys.
thanks,

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-15 4:03 pm   Permalink

Here is another matchbook from the Mark Thomas Outrigger

Tiki Shaker, How about posting a shot of that postcard from the Outrigger you showed on Tiki Finds the other day?

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-15 9:29 pm   Permalink

Fine archeological research there, D.C. By the style of the typeface I would always have guessed the M.T. logo to be from the 70s, but the couple in the postcard looks more 60s, and the logo is already above the entrance. Then again, some "nice young men" still wore buzz cuts in the early 70s, no?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-16 1:51 pm   Permalink

I'm amazed that the Outrigger has not been submitted in "Locating Tiki" by now.
I always just assumed it was there.
Great job Dustycajun!

Quote:

On 2008-12-01 18:45, Bora Boris wrote:
and there is now a Mark Thomas Drive in Monterey.
Hey Unga, whatís the Fish Hopper like? Any pieces of itís Tiki past left in there?

The Fish Hopper still serves "traditional" (not precise) Tiki drinks. A drink in a real pineapple is really hard to find there days.
There is a video linked in here somewhere, in which Michael Nesmith of the Monkees, films a spoof that takes place inside the Outrigger. The only footage of the place I have ever seen.

Mark Thomas hotel is now the Hyatt Regency right on Mark Thomas drive.

Fish Hopper Drink List

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-17 09:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-16 13:51, Unga Bunga wrote:

There is a video linked in here somewhere, in which Michael Nesmith of the Monkees, films a spoof that takes place inside the Outrigger. The only footage of the place I have ever seen.

Here it is. Tikibars found this vid.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=MvKXnCkKRYk

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-17 09:41 am   Permalink

classic, thanks guys.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Shaker
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-12-20 3:13 pm   Permalink

Here's that postcard, finally. Sorry it took me a bit to post it... busy with the holidays!

View Profile of Tiki Shaker Send a personal message to Tiki Shaker  Email Tiki Shaker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-21 10:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-20 15:13, Tiki Shaker wrote:
Here's that postcard, finally. Sorry it took me a bit to post it... busy with the holidays!

Thanks Tiki Shaker, first time I have seen this card.

Here is the menu with the pier logo. The Outrigger obviously began to embrace the Monterey Bay theme over the Polynesian/Tiki theme later in its life.

DC

Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-12-21 12:45 pm   Permalink

Here's a 1970s view of Cannery Row, showing the Outrigger in reference to its neighboring buisinesses:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-21 1:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-12-21 12:45, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Here's a 1970s view of Cannery Row, showing the Outrigger in reference to its neighboring buisinesses:

Sabu,

Nice photo, really puts the location in context compared to the postcard images. What's up with the canon on the roof? A signal for Mai Tai happy hour?

DC

Bora Boris
Mr. Unreasonable

Posted: 2008-12-28 07:07 am   Permalink

I like the Tiki in these screen grabs. I hope he ended up in a safe place.

I'm not concerned about the piano player.

View Profile of Bora Boris Send a personal message to Bora Boris      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-12-28 07:30 am   Permalink

A while back, I tried remaking the Sneaky Tiki cocktail using the menu illustration as a guide. I couldn't find any record of the original recipe, so I used the Harvey's Sneaky Tiki recipe from Taboo Table.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation