FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Mark Thomas Outrigger, Monterey, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Mark Thomas Outrigger, Monterey, CA (restaurant)
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-31 5:40 pm   Permalink

Photo postcard of the Outrigger in Monterey with a view from the side of the main entrance - different.

DC

[ This Message was edited by: Dustycajun 2009-05-31 17:41 ]

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-05-31 6:10 pm   Permalink

Awesome, rare shot Dusty!!
I like the Moai guy hiding up in the roof!!

Mahalo!!

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-13 10:34 pm   Permalink

On 2008-12-01 18:45, Bora Boris wrote: "...Any pieces of it’s Tiki past left in there?"

I don't think there are any old Tiki's left but there is this one Tiki on the Fish Hopper Drink menu.

FH menu

And they still use real tiki Volcano bowls and real fire!

FH menu

photo by Dory D.

FH menu

photo by Andre Y.

They also have a Scorpion, Blue Hawaii, Zombie and other tropical drinks.

Thanks Unga Bunga for the FH drink menu link earlier.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-16 4:14 pm   Permalink

Thanks for that post Abstract, wonder if the Fish Hopper still serves those drinks?

I picked up another postcard from the Outrigger that shows the great location and views of Monterey Bay from the building.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-16 7:52 pm   Permalink

My pleasure DC, the drinks are featured on their currant website so I'm sure they do. Hear is one they call the Coco Hops. It's served in one of those coconut mugs.

FH menu

Another Poly Pop type connection the Fish Hopper has is a second location in Kona Hawaii.

Kona FH Logo

Here is an exterior Fish Hopper photo from their website for a comparison to the Outrigger exterior photo you got.

new Fish Hopper

old Outrigger

I really like Monterey. I lived just outside of Monterey for a few years after moving from Modesto. I go back every year to visit but it was mostly for the art and diving, when i go again it's gonna be tiki expedition time!

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-12-20 9:55 pm   Permalink

Apparently the Outrigger had a glass floor!

I found this bit of info in an article by Kim Hamilton. It was written for the Pine Tree on-line newspaper in 2007. This is the only part of the article relevant to the Outrigger. In the article she is reminiscing about her days living in Monterey in the 70's

"And when you reached the end of the block you could have a drink in the lounge of the Outrigger Restaurant as you watched the sea-life swim through the glass panes on the bar floor."

JONPAUL
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-07 9:15 pm   Permalink

Back in September of 2007 when Marie and I drove up to the Monterey Peninsula to spend time with the Munktiki family for the Tiki Magazine article, we had a chance to explore the former Mark Thomas Outrigger site. Examining the area around the entrance and the paths leading down to the water just to the right, it wasn’t long before we spotted something that stopped us in our tracks and had us all gasping in awe! Poking up out of the bushes, right there along the path was an old-school Tiki torch, complete with faces in relief on either side! The reason I describe the torch as ‘old-school’ is that we have seen very similar ones previously at other older Tiki sites such as the Tiki Apartments in the South Bay and in the gardens in the front of the Warehouse in Marina del Rey. Another concrete example is mentioned and posted by bigbro and the Warehouse examples were photographed and posted by Ojaitimo in christiki's Tiki Torch thread:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=18845&forum=1

Well, we encountered every photographer’s nightmare of not having a camera at the time (something that we promised ourselves we’d never allow to happen again!!!), and vowed to return one day soon to photograph the evidence properly. I can’t believe we didn’t return until over three years later, but we finally made it back there on our recent voyage up north for the Tikiyaki show at the Vic’s in Palo Alto.

We were overjoyed upon seeing that the torch was still there and finally photographed it...

Could this be one of the last remaining original elements of the Mark Thomas Outrigger?
FIBERGLASS JUNGLE on Luxuria

View Profile of JONPAUL Send a personal message to JONPAUL  Goto the website of JONPAUL     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-07 9:33 pm   Permalink

Awesome!

More from JP and Marie !!!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-07 9:49 pm   Permalink

Love to see those posts that prove that not all is lost, always!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-02-07 10:52 pm   Permalink

How cool is that... nice to see it is still there by the sea rusty and all and nobody messed it all up or tryed taking it for whatever purpose.. Monterey Rocks!!

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chub
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-31 1:26 pm   Permalink

Here are some better scans from one of the postcards...

View Profile of Chub Send a personal message to Chub  Goto the website of Chub     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-21 9:28 pm   Permalink

I ran across this picture of Mark Thomas Out Rigger chop sticks while searching for the Lani in San Mateo, go figure.

Tiki Bosko had posted it some time ago.

Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-21 11:43 pm   Permalink

Cool Sticks!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Okolehao
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-27 4:39 pm   Permalink

Alas, I believe our friend is no more. I went to the Fish Hopper/ Mark Thomas on Saturday to see what I could find. I wonder if it was the management that did it, or heaven forbid, some T.C. member who just couldn't keep their hands off. Either way, I hope it went to a good home.

View Profile of Okolehao Send a personal message to Okolehao  Goto the website of Okolehao     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-09-27 4:51 pm   Permalink

Is that the cool torch that went missing or something else??
Too bad, it was a great piece!!

TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation